Daft Pedestrian Contributes To Accident On The Doi

Drew Aitch

Adults Dicing with Death on the Doi?

When I was a small child it was drummed into me that whenever it's necessary to walk on the road, ALWAYS walk into the traffic so that any oncoming vehicles are facing you. This was fundamental advice for all kids where I come from, and I would assume it's just plain common sense for any adult no matter what country they derive from. Whatever part of the world I'm in, or whatever side of the road the traffic drives on, it's just automatic that I walk into that traffic if I have to use the road at any point.

As someone who walks along the road to Doi Suthep quite a lot, I would say that around 98% of all pedestrians I see walk with their back to the oncoming traffic. This goes for both Thai and Foreigners. They're just accidents waiting to happen!

One can't help but wonder why people feel more comfortable with their backs to the speeding motorbikes, crazy minibus drivers, huge coaches, and of course, the convoys of pickup trucks competing with one another for first position. I'd love to hear why most folks prefer walking with their back to the traffic, especially those who have kids with them.

So anyway, this afternoon it happened. A western lady of around mid 30's was not only walking with her back to the traffic (as most of them do), but she was also cut off from the outside world while listening to audio on a pair of cushioned headphones.

A young fella on motorbike then comes screeching around a sharp bend, wobbles and loses control when he sees our happy-hiker walking wide, and moments later both he and his bike slide along the asphalt and sweep the oblivious one off her feet landing her with a nasty bang on the tarmac.

I tried to help her up, but she abruptly told me to 'eff off', while frantically flapping an arm beckoning me to leave her alone, (wonder what finishing school she went to!!!). I'll put her temper tantrum down to shock or premature menopause and assume she was reacting out of character due to the incident!

So anyway, the lad and I moved his bike to one side and he then sat on the crash barrier nursing his wounds as he made a phone call to someone to come and help with his scooter.

WHAT'S THE POINT OF THIS POST?

So the reason for this post is to just warn anyone who walks on roads with their back to the traffic, and especially those of you who cut yourself off with ear-phones while you're doing it. Just be careful that's all. I mean, it's possible that you'll not live to tell the tale like our friends did this afternoon, and worse still, you might even take some innocent with you!

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

I had to teach my family that rule just a short while back - they seemed surprised by the logic...

The logic is somewhat offset by the fact that in Thailand you never know what side of the road on-coming traffic will be on, and many drivers seem to prefer to take blind corners on the wrong side of the road. However I agree that walking on the side of the road that allows you to see on-coming traffic that is in the correct lane is usually safer. Just remember to be alert whenever on or near Thai roads. And don't wear headphones unless you have a death wish.

Edited by heybruce

I was raised to follow the same notion: Go against the direction of oncoming traffic when walking on a road. But my parents were aware of streets and roads that provided no paved sidewalks; where I grew up, walking on roads themselves - rather than sidewalks - required a trip away from home. Thus city folk may be oblivious. I have even observed vacationing Canadians walk with their backs to oncoming traffic., and Canadians are rule and law-abiders second only to the Swiss.:whistling:

Among Thais, the pace of motorized travel has sped up, generationally speaking, very quickly. I expect that much of which we complain about Thai habits of driving or being pedestrians in fast places is associated with the abrupt novelty of change. Rather like dealing with a complicated remote or modern tablet for an elder generation in the West.

Thus, young city folk from the West are unlikely to know (thus OP's 98% of Westerners too) of this commonsensical practice. Just shows again that we humans are indeed daft, by and large. TiH (Thus is Humanity).B)

(PS Suthep Road, to speak of it, from the moat westward for 2kms., is daft.)

Edited by CMX

Any person would be crazy to walk up to Doi Suthep on the right side... There is no place to walk, and the cars can't see you easily, plus they would never expect to see anyone on the right side. Sometimes in Thailand it is necessary to do some things differently. Just be careful where you walk. :)

Any person would be crazy to walk up to Doi Suthep on the right side... There is no place to walk, and the cars can't see you easily, plus they would never expect to see anyone on the right side. Sometimes in Thailand it is necessary to do some things differently. Just be careful where you walk. :)

Your correct, the trails are a far nicer place for a walk to the top of Doi Suthep. Who wants to go puff puff on all that exhaust smoke road on the road. Our family does walk against traffic.

Lucky lady, having had a close call on the Doi Suthep road, on the bicycle once where a mini bus was passing on the inside and taking a left corner quite fast. If there had been a guard rail or we'd been wearing headphone it might have been a hit. There's a lot of nicer places to ride and walk in Chiang Mai without so much traffic.

walking anywhere with "ear-muffs" on is just asking for trouble IMO.

Or lost in a mobile phone conversation. I'd go as far to say that mobile phones are causing more health and social issues than a lifetime of smoking. Here's but one example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg11glsBW4Y

Just as well she wasn't crossing the road!!!

Aitch

I am aware of the "rule" for walking into traffic, however, with the layout of that winding road leading up to Doi Suthep, I would also walk up (and down as well!) on the left. Downhill traffic in those tight corners on the right appears more dangerous to me than having traffic from behind - the latter can spot pedestrians way ahead, not just in the very last moment.

What I absolutely dread is unlit and completely quiet bicycles.

I had to teach my family that rule just a short while back - they seemed surprised by the logic...

It all comes down to what you are taught, and unfortunately common sense is not very common in the LOS.

Far too many tourists and yes, resident expat's walk in the middle of the streets without regard.

Even when there is room to walk on sidewalks or out of traffic.

Too many think all the Thai streets are "Walking Street".

Edited by KimoMax

It all comes down to what you are taught, and unfortunately common sense is not very common in the LOS.

Thais walk (IF they walk at all) on the side of the street where the shade is. Traffic is not taken into consideration.

I tried to help her up, but she abruptly told me to 'eff off', while frantically flapping an arm beckoning me to leave her alone, (wonder what finishing school she went to!!!). I'll put her temper tantrum down to shock or premature menopause and assume she was reacting out of character due to the incident!

I am not surprised by this reaction. You should have called the cops on the miserable cow for causing the accident... I'd have happily offered the BiB a couple k to have them remove the offending article from the mountain. <_<

On a flat road it may be common sense to walk against traffic, and that's what I would always do. But on a mountain road with 2 lanes going up hill and one lane going down, I would rather walk on the side of the slower traffic going up hill, rather than the speeding traffic going down hill.

But in reality, common sense would be to take the beautiful path through the forest rather than walk on the road, making this whole discussion moot.

On a flat road it may be common sense to walk against traffic, and that's what I would always do. But on a mountain road with 2 lanes going up hill and one lane going down, I would rather walk on the side of the slower traffic going up hill, rather than the speeding traffic going down hill. But in reality, common sense would be to take the beautiful path through the forest rather than walk on the road, making this whole discussion moot.

This does of course depend on one's destination! If you're talking about the forest route that starts at the far end of Suthep Road, then this is not much use to someone walking to say Mon Tha Thaan falls or other areas away from this jungle trek. This ancient pilgrims’ trail doesn't join the road until it gets to Wat Phalad if memory serves me right. Additionally, walking up the forest path after a heavy monsoon is not very sensible, though the road is still quite doable, and yes, quite safe for those hiking with a little road sense under their belt ;) Wouldn't you agree?

The other forrest path starting at Huay Kaew Waterfall is nice, but it's only a short walk before the trail becomes impassible.

The moral of this response is that there is nothing wrong with walking along scenic winding country roads providing one knows their Green Cross Code ;)

Aitch

Walk up to Doi Suthep???? are you mental ?!!!!!!!