Thaksin - Exiled In Dubai – But Still He Dreams Of Thailand

webfact

It was my understanding that amnesty can only be granted by the King, yet PT keeps mentioning it as one of their highest priority towards "reconciliation" (what a joke BTW), does this mean that they will ask the King for amnesty or am I mistaken and amnesty can actually be granted by someone else than his majesty?

Actually I think you are mistaken (but I might be too) - a pardon can be granted by His Majesty, but amnesty is a political manoevre. Thaksin isn't eligible for a pardon because he hasn't admitted his guilt or served any of his sentence. PT would be able to grant an amnesty to all those who want it or don't want want it - but I don't think that will do much for reconciliation, which is what the other concurrent thread is discussing.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was my understanding that amnesty can only be granted by the King, yet PT keeps mentioning it as one of their highest priority towards "reconciliation" (what a joke BTW), does this mean that they will ask the King for amnesty or am I mistaken and amnesty can actually be granted by someone else than his majesty?

Parliament can issue amnesties (absolving someone of a crime),as they did back in the 1970s to persuade the students to come back from hiding in the jungle; whilst the King issues pardons where the punishmment is reduced.

A further problem is Thaksin has not yet gone to court for several charges he faces as he ran away, so how can they annul these yet to be tried cases? One solution is a rewrite of the constitution to make the decisions of the post coup judicial agencies all null and void.

Good old ThaksinVengeance.com! The knives are really out here. Good that this election is for Thais to vote in & not pompous foreigners who think they know better than the Thai electorate. Personally, I can't wait for his return, the consequent snap election and then his resumption of power. There are gonna be some scurrying turncoats out there!

Really bizarre in that the sister of a man that was happy to sponsor and burn down, destroy, loot, incite violence, can be so popular. There very well may be no other country on planet earth where something like this could happen. Truly amazing, but in the end the people will get the leadership they deserve.

500 Baht at GE time and the Piss poor buffalo's up here in Issan will rise for the "bait"

then why doesn't Democrat buy votes in North and North east

or PTP buy votes from the South?

Because it doesn't work.

You're new here so there is something you should know . Here forget facts. With the Thaksin basher brigade, you enter the kingdom of propaganda.

There are actually very few members of the Thaksin basher brigade, 5, 10, 15 at the most. And they haven't much to say. But they say it over and over... and over... and over... and over....

Just in case you wonder how it can work, here are some food for thought from the master of all propagandists :

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.

The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over

And I kept the best for the end :

Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play.

Don't you agree with that Mr Sondhi ? wink.gif

Edited by JurgenG

It ain't the fruit he misses. its the money he wants to get back...letem come back, then throw him in the grey bar hotel with the rest of the animals in there. Of course if he serves any time at all, it will be the best wines, and meats etc his widdle tummy can hold

If he was that good REDS why isn't he here ?? and why did most at the time want him out. If he would feel safe in his beloved Chiang Mai he could save more of his money and try the Downtown hotel to prove its not a coincidence !

Via twitter

"Tonight on #ABC #Lateline former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra at home in Dubai.Our world TV exclusive.Does he want to lead again?"

Lateline is on the Australian public ABC channel, usually starts 10:30pm Eastern Australian time. Should get it on the Australian network in Asia.

Its amazing Thaksin can keep a straight face. Still a billionaire after 900mil already frozen.

why can't the interviewer point out to him that amassing this much while suposingly looking after the countries best interest is bound to tar his saintly image. What a *unt!!

Its amazing Taxsin can keep a straight face. Still a billionaire after 900mil already frozen.

why can't the interviewer point out to him that amassing this much while suposingly looking after the countries best interest is bound to tar his saintly image. What a *unt!!

Good----EPICSTUFF

Its amazing Taxsin can keep a straight face. Still a billionaire after 900mil already frozen.

Your point being ? Being rich is bad ?

The Democrats : poor people should learn to be happy to be poor

Thaksin : Tomorrow will be better than today .

Honestly, who do you trust more to lead the country ? The kids of rich families, raised and educated abroad, who don't know much about the realities of the country or a self-made man with a strong local support ?

Edited by JurgenG

Really bizarre in that the sister of a man that was happy to sponsor and burn down, destroy, loot, incite violence, can be so popular. There very well may be no other country on planet earth where something like this could happen. Truly amazing, but in the end the people will get the leadership they deserve.

Adolf did a good job of winning the harts and minds of many in Germany, I could go on but life's to short. whistling.gif

Actually I think you are mistaken (but I might be too) - a pardon can be granted by His Majesty, but amnesty is a political manoevre. Thaksin isn't eligible for a pardon

That doesn't stop some...

Over 1,000 Red-shirts To File Thaksin Pardon Petition

500 Baht at GE time and the Piss poor buffalo's up here in Issan will rise for the "bait"

Exactly

And if you (Abhisit, Military Junta supporters on here) had been treated as an inferior and terribly, or rather ignored for the last 6 decades by your government and treated like a low class citizen then you wouldn't need money to buy the vote for someone (Thaksin) who finally showed a little interest in them and tried to improve their lives and schools.

The generals (Junta) are the worst bullies there are. Just look at what they did to the Rohinga people, gunning down of the red shirt supporters, and next the Khmer people. All Thailands neighbours now hate them and the relationships couldn't get any worse. And Abhisit is a part of all this. And he couldn't care less what happens or what the generals tell him to do, as long as he's prime minister he couldn't care less. It's his dream come true and he would never ruin that by standing up to the murderous militray generals.

At least Thaksin has the balls to stand up to the brutal regime that has been running Thailand into the ground for the last 60 years

I like your quote, but the last part, 'get the leadership they deserve', is a bit scary to me!!!! I was wondering what kind of leadership do they deserve? Or what is the leadership they need? But I 100% agree, leadership by Thaksin is no leadership for anyone, no matter what happened in the past!

Thank you.

Basically there's many many people that simply vote for who seems to offer the fastest, easiest payout, little consequential thought/analysis if any at all.

Nixon would have been impeached and kicked out had he not quit. In thailand the military performed the impeachment, some could argue saved taxpayer time and money. others surely can argue lack of democratic process. Wherever the dice may fall it is their system and it'll work in that style.

I am only an observer. There is not intent to criticize.

Edited by atyclb

All these moronic, uneducated, whisky swilling, bribe taking country folk still in spite of everything persist in voting for Thaksin. Could it be that they understand something about the nature of Thailand which is far too basic for all the erudite farangs here to comprehend? Could it be that they understand who are the real opponents of progress and equality in Thailand, could it be they understand that Abhisit is simply a pretty puppet for these powers?

Thaksin, knowingly or otherwise, showed these people their collective power, I don't think they will relinquish it, no matter what the army does.

Exactly

And if you (Abhisit, Military Junta supporters on here) had been treated as an inferior and terribly, or rather ignored for the last 6 decades by your government and treated like a low class citizen then you wouldn't need money to buy the vote for someone (Thaksin) who finally showed a little interest in them and tried to improve their lives and schools.

The generals (Junta) are the worst bullies there are. Just look at what they did to the Rohinga people, gunning down of the red shirt supporters, and next the Khmer people. All Thailands neighbours now hate them and the relationships couldn't get any worse. And Abhisit is a part of all this. And he couldn't care less what happens or what the generals tell him to do, as long as he's prime minister he couldn't care less. It's his dream come true and he would never ruin that by standing up to the murderous militray generals.

At least Thaksin has the balls to stand up to the brutal regime that has been running Thailand into the ground for the last 60 years

Hmm, for arguments sake, suppose what you say is true; do you suppose Thaksin is doing this out of the goodness of his heart and other altruistic reasons?

Do you perceive T as Thailand Ghandi, Americas MLK, or South Africas Mandela?

Your point being ? Being rich is bad ?

The Democrats : poor people should learn to be happy to be poor

Thaksin : Tomorrow will be better than today .

Honestly, who do you trust more to lead the country ? The kids of rich families, raised and educated abroad, who don't know much about the realities of the country or a self-made man with a strong local support ?

Honestly the answer might be close to 'none of the above'. K. Thaksin was 'too rich to need to be corrupt', Ms. Yingluck also very rich, educated abroad with her son in an international school and having a private football field, k. Abhisit Oxford-educated and reasonably normal. Who would you trust more to lead the country?

Best comment on this forum , strange how the majority of people commenting would like Thailand to be more like Burma and continue to let military get more and more control of the country.

...Truly amazing, but in the end the people will get the leadership they deserve.

The French statesman and philosopher Joseph de Maistre (1753–1821) said it: "Every nation gets the government it deserves"

Thanx

Best comment on this forum , strange how the majority of people commenting would like Thailand to be more like Burma and continue to let military get more and more control of the country.

Thaksin, a former policeman might then decide to oust the military, replacing it with an ever expanded police force.....

I for one might choose life in Burma over that option.

"Great success" (Borat)

Honestly, who do you trust more to lead the country ? The kids of rich families, raised and educated abroad, who don't know much about the realities of the country . . .

Just interested, which kids do you mean? If you're referring to the Democrats, other than Abhisit the only leader I can think of who was educated abroad was Seni, way back early last century. You might want to recall that the longest serving Democrat PM, by far, was Chuan Leekpai, who I'm sure would have a good laugh at your description.

Sorry, the Democrats = out-of-touch elites argument is a straw man.

And if you (Abhisit, Military Junta supporters on here) had been treated as an inferior and terribly, or rather ignored for the last 6 decades by your government and treated like a low class citizen ...

Isn't that standard in all western countries?

... then you wouldn't need money to buy the vote for someone (Thaksin) who finally showed a little interest in them and tried to improve their lives and schools.

All Thaksin did was throw a bit of cash and credit around to get the support he needed to rob the country. Did he improve their lives in the 5 years that he was in power? What did he improve in the schools? If he did such a good job, how could it have been wiped out in such a short time by the military government. Sure, the military government were incompetent, but what did they do in a year that wiped out what Thaksin was supposed to have put together in 6 years? What did the PPP do to fix that when they were in power?

Thailand's neighbors have always hated them. That pretty much applies for all countries and their neighbors in Asia.

How did Thaksin stand up to the military? All he did was try to get his people in charge of it so that he could use it.

Holy crap, Thaksins lil sis is going to do all this? That woman must have some gumption! Mr T is not running in the election therefore it will be her balls that are thrust in the face of this brutal regime and generals that you speak of. Hope their grande!mellow.gifmellow.gif

"but still he dreams of Thailand..."

Dream on...

Going by all the extreeme hatred of Thaskin here he must have really done some bad things to all the farangs. Personally he has not effected my life at all and I don't care if he becomes p.m. again. I really don't understand what farangs are so worried about. The election will come and go and life will go on.

............".the notorious Asian fruit famed for both its sweet taste and wrenchinly rotten smell"

..................................."the duplicitous nature of K Thaksin."

What irony that this article quoting Thaksin's own words highlights what a wonderful metaphor the Durian is for him!

'Sweet taste' for the poor and 'wrenchingly rotten smell' for everyone else!

Perhaps the government should subsidise the 'nose jobs' most Esan ladies crave for. Then they could smell Thaksin for what he really is, and they might win the election!