Yellow Book

trainman34014

Having lived here with my Thai wife for more than 3 years I thought it was about time I got a Yellow book which appears to be useful in certain situations. Went to Amphur Hang Dong and they told us that I need to go to immigration to get a letter from them first but didn't know what immigration would require from me to get said letter !

Anybody out there know what immigration will require to save me going up there and not having the right gear with me?

Edited by trainman34014

The form is the same one used to buy a car, bike or condo. It's a verification of address. Bring what ever you have to prove you live where you say you live. That includes your wife. Have a Thai driver's license with the correct address on it? Bring you wife's house book too. When you go back to the amphur they may ask you to bring one or two Thais to verify you actually live at the address you claim. One will be your wife of course.

As Sojourner say’s; it's not hard. I simply took an electric bill, (had myname and the address on it) a letter from the British consulate, (stating myelected address) I can’t remember, but I think my Thai friend I went with vouchedthat I lived at the address. The only hassle I found was getting the letter fromthe B/C.

If you’re going to be living here, it’s worth having in my opinion;it’s saved me a number of trips, and money on proof of residency letters.

I think this issue has been discussed numerous times on the forums. What I can remember from the threads is that most Amphur offices use different requirements.

Regarding Hang Dong, when I got mine I had to bring a village headman as one of the witnesses, along with another Thai as a kind of character witness. From what I had read on ThaiVisa forums, my experience at the Hang Dong Amphur was slightly more complicated. If you go in to the office they will tell you what you need.

My suggestion would be to go in to the Amphur office and ask them what you will need. Remember who you talk to in case there are questions later.

MSPain

I took the certificate of residency from Thai Immigration, passport (of course), Thai marriage certificate, and our house blue book in my wife's name. That was all that was needed in our case. My wife, as home owner and registered resident, verified I lived there and, with the marriage certificate, the amphur clerks/officials had no questions. It was just a "clerical" process to get the paperwork approved and the yellow book issued in my name.

Even though we did it in San Sai, I would think it would be the same process in Hang Dong. If you own your house and your wife moved her house registration to that house so her name is in/on the blue book, then her word that you live there with her and the marriage certificate should be sufficient.

I took the certificate of residency from Thai Immigration, passport (of course), Thai marriage certificate, and our house blue book in my wife's name. That was all that was needed in our case. My wife, as home owner and registered resident, verified I lived there and, with the marriage certificate, the amphur clerks/officials had no questions. It was just a "clerical" process to get the paperwork approved and the yellow book issued in my name.

Even though we did it in San Sai, I would think it would be the same process in Hang Dong. If you own your house and your wife moved her house registration to that house so her name is in/on the blue book, then her word that you live there with her and the marriage certificate should be sufficient.

I posted what I had to do. In my case, obviously it was not the same in Hang Dong. For the original question, I still suggest going in to the Amphur office and asking them what you need. As I have often stated on the forum, telling officials you heard it on a forum will probably not get anything done. If you go in to their office and they tell you all you need is what the others are saying then you are in good shape. Obviously you can do this how you like....... What I am suggesting is that you get the requirements from the place that is going to require them. I do agree you will need everything other people say you will need. I needed more. I have friends that have accomplished the task with less than I had.... at different Amphur offices.

Since the original question indicated doing this in Hang Dong, I thought my experience at the Hang Dong Amphur office may be relevent.... Maybe it isn't.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I still suggest going in to the Amphur office and asking them what you need. MSPain

MSPain's advice is actually the best I have heard for all amphurs. What I experienced 3 years ago may not be applicable today, even in San Sai.

I think this issue has been discussed numerous times on the forums. What I can remember from the threads is that most Amphur offices use different requirements.

Regarding Hang Dong, when I got mine I had to bring a village headman as one of the witnesses, along with another Thai as a kind of character witness. From what I had read on ThaiVisa forums, my experience at the Hang Dong Amphur was slightly more complicated. If you go in to the office they will tell you what you need.

My suggestion would be to go in to the Amphur office and ask them what you will need. Remember who you talk to in case there are questions later.

MSPain

I got mine in in Hang Dong also, same requirements as above. Didn't need anything from the consulate.

Yeah, why should I want a yellow book? I can count the number of times I've paid for a letter of residency on one hand. Let's see -- for the one year drivers license, then for the five year drivers license and to do a Thai will at the Amphur office. Is that all a yellow book does -- eliminate the need for a letter of residency? Any other benefits to having a yellow book?

I have no intention of ever owning a motor vehicle here, so that eliminates one benefit. I got the drivers license because my U.S. license was going to expire, it serves as a good ID, I get discounts in some situations and besides, the pandas in the lower right hand corner are cute.

Edited by NancyL

excuse my ignorance chaps, but what this affore mentioned 'yellow book'?

Ho 'doppa'

I'm sure someone will correct me, (even if I'm right) my understanding is this, the 'yellow book', for non-Thai nationals and the 'blue book' for Thais. Both books are also known as; family book or the house book. All Thais are by law meant to be registered with Amphur and it's recorded in the house book. The book is tied to the house, notthe individual, as such, if you were Thai you would simply be entered into the blue book of the house you live in, but as a farang who is living in Thailand, then as stated, a yellow book is required. A house can have both, blue and yellow for a given address.

A warning for you…….Before signing for said yellow book at Amphur, enquire if one has ever been issued on the property. Only one book of each color blue/yellow is allowed by law. The penalties are hash, with possible prison time for having two, blue or yellow books for one property. Abig problem in Thailand is that some people who rent property (I'll keep this short) will get a second house book from Amphur by giving them some waffle, about it being lost, so, they get a new book, this gets there name at the top of the book, (denoting property owner) they then go to loan shark, big loan against the property………and then do a runner, the poor old owner then has to either fight the loan shark, (Mafia) or let them take the property. The Thais apply the same laws to having two yellow books just as hard as having two blue books. No excuses, (yes, we know, no one would lend money on a yellow book!)

This bit I may be a bit sketchy on, but I think the following is true; when on a tourist visa, no house book is required, (as you hotel/GH should be reporting your whereabouts) by staying if on an 'O' visa, basically, not classed as a tourist and not staying in a hotel/GH. You should be registered in a housebook. Same rules regarding Thai driving licence.

Edited by Tonto21

excuse my ignorance chaps, but what this affore mentioned 'yellow book'?

\This bit I may be a bit sketchy on, but I think the following is true; when on a tourist visa, no house book is required, (as you hotel/GH should be reporting your whereabouts) by staying if on an 'O' visa, basically, not classed as a tourist and not staying in a hotel/GH. You should be registered in a housebook. Same rules regarding Thai driving licence\

Wow, we've lived here three years and never had anyone say we should be recorded on a yellow book. We rent a condo unit; this is our second unit. Neither landlord said anything about a yellow book. When I've needed a letter of residency from Immigration, I go to the manager of the condo building and obtain a letter from them, in Thai, stating that I live here. Then I take that letter to Immigration to get their letter of residency. Never had to show anyone an electric bill or even the rental contract. The letter from the condo building manager seems to do the trick at the Immigration office and the managers in both condo buildings where we've lived knew exactly what I needed, pulled up a form on their computer, filled in the blanks with my name and unit number and sent me on my way in short order. No charge at either condo office, although I offered to pay.

So, I still don't understand why I need a yellow book.

Edited by NancyL

You don't need one. People who have been here 10-20 years never had one and never needed one.

If they were required, wouldn't the government offices for transferring vehicle ownership, issuing drivers licenses and registering births require them just as they require the blue book from Thais?

Edited by Dante99

You don't need one. People who have been here 10-20 years never had one and never needed one.

If they were required, wouldn't the government offices for transferring vehicle ownership, issuing drivers licenses and registering births require them just as they require the blue book from Thais?

I think it's more a case that the Thai establishment doesn't enforce the use of the 'yellow book' as opposed to 'not needing it'. I agree lots of people living here don't have one, and don't feel the need for one. But maybe a bit like a Thai driving license, it would seem a lot of people only feel they need to get them, for their own convenience as opposed to following Thai law.

Edited by Tonto21

Nothing to enforce. You do not need one. In fact, if you are renting your property, unless the owner of the property is unusually helpful, you won't be able to get one. I have lived here for over 20 years and never had one, could not get one even if I wanted to because I rent and the owners don't wasnt to help. I have never had a use for one either.

Having said that, I will get one this year when I move into my new house (bought in my son's name). FYI, this document is required if you wish to apply for Thai citizenship based on marriage to a Thai (perhaps also if going the PR route too, but I'm not sure).

Nothing to enforce. You do not need one. In fact, if you are renting your property, unless the owner of the property is unusually helpful, you won't be able to get one. I have lived here for over 20 years and never had one, could not get one even if I wanted to because I rent and the owners don't wasnt to help. I have never had a use for one either.

Having said that, I will get one this year when I move into my new house (bought in my son's name). FYI, this document is required if you wish to apply for Thai citizenship based on marriage to a Thai (perhaps also if going the PR route too, but I'm not sure).

Fair enough, ‘GarryP’ I live and learn!

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would let everyone know I got my Yellow Book today after a reasonably painless process. Had to wait 2 hours at Immigration when told 40 minutes and then got ripped for 500 baht but the letter is signed by a policeman after all !!

No problems at Amphur Hang Dong but I needed two witnesses other than my wife but they could both be members of her family who knew me. Cost....another 500 baht.

To all those who helped me with advice....a big thank you.