Getting A Room/House For 3 Months

girlinbrooklyn

I'm looking into coming to Phuket sometime in December/January until March. I'm a 23 year old freelance web designer from NYC and I want to escape the winter. My thinking was that I would set up couch surfing in Phuket for a few days upon arrival and during that time find somewhere to stay for the next 2-3 months. I've been reading that rentals in Phuket are somewhat competitive and especially since I'll be coming at peak season. My budget would be anything from 3,000-10,000 baht, but as it's just me, I'd be ok with somewhere close to the beach, in anything from a private room at a hostel/guesthouse, to a room in an apartment/house, or a whole bungalow that is secure (no one will break in), has a real shower and A/C. I'm not a partier, but I'm absolutely looking to make some friends over there, hang out in cafes, run on the beach, etc, and also I'll need reliable access to wi-fi, for sure.

So I have a few questions. First of all, will it be very difficult for me to find a place at that time of year, or will I be ok? Second of all, if you had to choose when to arrive in Phuket between Dec 1 and January 15, when would you arrive, especially keeping in mind that I do need to rent something? Should I come before or after Christmas and New Years? Lastly, any recommendations as to which area/beaches I should be looking?

Thanks so much!

You'll be coming during "high" season or our peak season. So getting a place for your budget will be rare. Prices are much higher then without being in a dive. Try checking the Phuket Gazett for ads or even the TV classifieds. Do some searching there. Book your rental early or you'll be stranded. Check for locations like Rawai, Kata, Karon, or Surin. Patong will be expensive because of the popularity. Spend time reading TV and local newspapers to get a better feel of what to expect. A three month lease is not uncommon but most will want longer. If you could come earlier and spend a couple of weeks to get the lay of the land it would serve you better. Phuket is one of the more expensive places. Transportation can be is mostly a pain there unlike other locations in Thailand. I'd start in Bangkok first and then go from there.

Thanks for the advice mrjlh. Is there another beachy area of Thailand you recommend instead? I'm open to ideas. I really want to be in an area with lots of shops and cafes (but I prefer street food to eat) that won't be too inconvenient to get to/for border runs and is a walkable area with lots of wi-fi options. A search of couchsurfing.com, for example, showed very few people in other areas I was looking at (like krabi and ko phi phi), but so many in phuket and I really want to make friends with other foreigners while I'm there, so I thought that would be my best bet.

Look at Surat Thani which is on the mainland is a little cheaper and right off the coast is Ko Sumui Island. Very popular but again their prices are high also, but its more along your age group I think. East of the Gulf is Rayong and Pattaya, you might find something there.

About an hour drive and just north west of Phuket is Khao Lak. Worth looking at but I don't know prices even though I've been there several times. Phi Phi Island is small and really only have hotel's and resort's. Great for staying a few days.

If you think you would have no problem driving on the opposite side of the road get a International drivers license. In fact get one anyway you might rent a motorbike. This is not the place to learn. Driving here is not for the weak of heart. You can rent a car for about 15,000 baht a month. Makes it really easy to get around especially in Phuket. Driving in Thailand is at times a hair raising experience. You sorta make your own rules.

Words of advice and you'll see this every where on the board:

For a long 3-4 month stay you need to figure out how to get money when you need it. So do some serious planing on that part. Ill advised to carry a very large amount with you. Ask people here you'll get lots of ideas. Don't take any one persons advice. Just too many ways. ( just thought of something) You are in New York. Go to the "Bangkok Bank Branch in New York" and open an account and get their ATM card. Not sure if they will let you... but try anyway. You can use it here without any trouble because its a really big bank here many expats use.

If you rent a motorcycle (200 baht a day) or go by motor bike taxi (everywhere and very cheap) WEAR A HELMET! You also are mostly to be seriously injured or killed because the way Thai drivers are. Many enjoy it and have no problems but drive with extreme care.

Make copies of your passport and carry with you. Lock up the original in your room. Don't let anyone take it or keep it for any reason.

Ask lots of questions on TV but expect the wise ass comments. Some people haven't matured yet or think they are comedians. (But we do get some pretty funny stuff at times.)

We have several VISA experts on TV so ask them about your visa issues.

Mainly spend the time doing as much resaerch as you can.

Well I hope I help you some more. You'll be getting many offers of help here. Come have fun and relax.

Thanks for the advice mrjlh. Is there another beachy area of Thailand you recommend instead? I'm open to ideas. I really want to be in an area with lots of shops and cafes (but I prefer street food to eat) that won't be too inconvenient to get to/for border runs and is a walkable area with lots of wi-fi options. A search of couchsurfing.com, for example, showed very few people in other areas I was looking at (like krabi and ko phi phi), but so many in phuket and I really want to make friends with other foreigners while I'm there, so I thought that would be my best bet.

Phuket is fine.rooms and food unexpensive.everywhere on the island.wifi cheap and easy avaible.Friends you make everywhere.dont book anything just hit the plane tp phuket intl.good would be if you can ride a scooter.if not exercise now.we have rooms and bungalows near airport,nai Yang beach but as i said the island is full of rooms any category,Patong is good for weekendparty.not recommended for a 3 month stay.meet local poeple.

What beaches should I be looking near? I agree that I'd like to avoid Patong, I'd like somewhere with cafes and wifi but a bit quieter, more expats and not the partiers!

Kata, Kata Noi and Karon beaches are all close to each other. plenty of expats. You could even stay at Rick and Roll's girls only dorm for 300 Bt a night and meet others. Free wi-fi etc. Check out the thread on the Phuket sub-forum.

Kata, Kata Noi and Karon beaches are all close to each other. plenty of expats. You could even stay at Rick and Roll's girls only dorm for 300 Bt a night and meet others. Free wi-fi etc. Check out the thread on the Phuket sub-forum.

Perfect...

So now I'm thinking about getting there in early December in order to get my long-term accommodations set up before the Christmas and New Years people get there (although I'm aware those people will often have reservations) and also to meet people to hang out with during said holidays. But I'm also planning to couch surf upon arrival instead of going to a hostel. But if for some reason I can't find somewhere long term to stay until January, I'll definitely go to a hostel or a guesthouse in the meantime. I guess when I get there I should just look and ask around for people who are looking to rent apartments, bungalows or rooms in houses? Is there any other resource besides the Phuket Gazette?

The absolute best way is to be in Phuket. Rent a small bike and check all the small streets. That really is the only way to find bargains.

they are usually Thai family owned and the Thais aren't too sophisticated when it comes to advertising.

Book into a place for a week, then, go exploring for a longer term place.

When I first visited Phuket in 2008 I stayed in a hotel at Karon organised by my expat son. I was lucky that some people I knew had already been there before, so finding a favourite spot for breakfast was easy. The beach was beautiful. People there from lots of different countries. Traditional Indian women on the beach 'accidentally' falling fully dressed in the water. Hilarious. Taking photos of families on the beach. People were so friendly and I never felt unsafe.

I used to walk past the local taxi/tuk tuk spot all the time and they got used to me so we politely ignored each other after a while. My son loaned me a motorcycle and I had a great time. I had to relearn to ride, not having done so for about 40 years... I have a Riders licence & the Thai police can read the difference between C (ordinary Australian licence) and R (for motorcycle riders) so beware. I never had any problems, though he was like a cat on a hot tin roof about me riding. The Thais were very considerate, or maybe they were shocked by a big old falang woman riding. :lol:His main advice to me was to watch out going downhill for concrete trucks with failed brakes coming behind. (His comment to his cousin 'How to get your inheritance early: put Mum on a motorbike')

We loved some of the bars along the strip in Karon - particularly one with a very energetic band playing 60s music :whistling:There's also a couple who bring a young elephant during the evenings that you can feed and touch. They had a different one last time I was there.

There are a few things to be aware of...don't sweat the small stuff. If your food doesn't come out like you ordered, don't say anything. They get very embarassed. And a lot of them are poor. They can't afford to waste food. You might also find something different you like. Only exception is for Thais - son's gorgeous gf is very strict when we eat with her. We're heathens and eat noodles for lunch sometimes but wouldn't dare when she's there :rolleyes:

You can travel to other parts of Thailand cheaply. Son hates flying so we took the bus to Bangkok. Very comfortable and a great view of the countryside. We also visited the temples at Siem Reap in Cambodia. His Thai gf was amazed at the cultural and religious similarities. We were simply blown away.

Hope you have a great time. Meantime enjoy the Phuket forum. There are some fascinating, intelligent, articulate, funny people who post here about all sorts of topics. I use it for research prior to returning.

GirlinBrooklyn,

There you go... you got some good advice from some lady's who have already done it. And not from some old retired fart. Enjoy your trip.

GirlinBrooklyn,

There you go... you got some good advice from some lady's who have already done it. And not from some old retired fart. Enjoy your trip.

Apply and get a Tourist Visa in your home country before leaving. Gets you 60 days in TH, and can be extended locally for 30 days at 1900 baht, IOW 90 days total. Money and time saved.

Low end rooms and bungalows available for 10k month even in peak season. I would start In Kata Beach at Rick N Rolls girl dorm at 350 baht night, and search from there. If you dont find what you are looking for within a few days after arrival, PM me.

Wi Fi available all over Kata

Enjoy your trip

Your plan is good. Use couchsurfing for your first few nights, rent a bike (if you can ride) and just look around. There are plenty of places for rent in Karon/Kata, Nai Harn, Chalong and Rawai. Do a bit of research before you get here to give you an idea as to where to stay.

It may be high season and you will have to pay something at the top end of your budget as the rooms at the lower end are snapoped up by Thai seasonal workers, but you'll find something.

There are specific places to look where there are loads of bungalows and post on here or PM myself or Katabeachbum (as he has already offered) for ideas. And make sure you follow his advice re the visa.

Wow, you guys. I feel like I have found the right place here on TV! I truly appreciate how encouraging you all are. I PMed MissChris to thank her, and now I have you also to thank for that great advice. I really appreciate you offering to help me out if i get there and can't find a place to stay. Maybe I'll also PM you so we can meet for a drink.

I think I will probably start with renting a bicycle instead of a motorbike, how does that sound? Although I do have time to get my motorcycle license and my international drivers license before I leave, so I'll look into that.

I definitely will get the tourist visa before I leave. Thanks for that. I still may have to do a border run if I stay until late March, but 1 run is better than 3! Does the 60-day tourist visa allow for multiple entry? I may want to zip over to Malaysia or Vietnam for a bit.

Again, I so appreciate all of your willingness to answer my questions, so I'm going to ask one more... I mentioned that I'm a freelance web designer. Do you think I'll be able to find a few interested folks down there? Is there somewhere I could post my business card on a bulletin board? Or should I stay on the down low about working (as a US citizen) while in Thailand? One option I was thinking about would be bartering a few weeks to a month's rent for a free site design, but I'm not at all against paying all of it, it's fine, and I doubt I'd meet the right people quickly enough to make that happen anyway.

Thanks again, you all have me feeling optimistic!

Wow, you guys. I feel like I have found the right place here on TV! I truly appreciate how encouraging you all are. I PMed MissChris to thank her, and now I have you also to thank for that great advice. I really appreciate you offering to help me out if i get there and can't find a place to stay. Maybe I'll also PM you so we can meet for a drink.

I think I will probably start with renting a bicycle instead of a motorbike, how does that sound? Although I do have time to get my motorcycle license and my international drivers license before I leave, so I'll look into that.

I definitely will get the tourist visa before I leave. Thanks for that. I still may have to do a border run if I stay until late March, but 1 run is better than 3! Does the 60-day tourist visa allow for multiple entry? I may want to zip over to Malaysia or Vietnam for a bit.

Again, I so appreciate all of your willingness to answer my questions, so I'm going to ask one more... I mentioned that I'm a freelance web designer. Do you think I'll be able to find a few interested folks down there? Is there somewhere I could post my business card on a bulletin board? Or should I stay on the down low about working (as a US citizen) while in Thailand? One option I was thinking about would be bartering a few weeks to a month's rent for a free site design, but I'm not at all against paying all of it, it's fine, and I doubt I'd meet the right people quickly enough to make that happen anyway.

Thanks again, you all have me feeling optimistic!

shh, be quiet, no foreigners do computer work in TH

Tourist visa can be multiple entry, or save your trip until day no 60 and avoid local 30 days 1900 baht fee.

GirlinBrooklyn,

Hey thanks Mrjih!

I AM an old, should be retired, fart! My secret weapon is an expat son...

GirlinBrooklyn,

Hey thanks Mrjih!

I AM an old, should be retired, fart! My secret weapon is an expat son...

Let me guess...he's about the same age as Ms Brooklyn....Uh Huh....match maker you are....:D

It's interesting that you brought it up, mrjlh, because on the one hand I'm 23, so I'm in no rush to find my forever-someone right now, but on the flip side, I much rather meet someone abroad than at home. I was saying to my friend yesterday about how important it is to me to find someone who loves to travel and I said, in fact, my ideal guy would NOT be in the US right now because I wouldn't be either if I could choose, so unless he came back to the States for a brief hiatus, why would I want to meet a guy who is here? hehe. But anyway I'm really, really looking forward to making FRIENDS in Thailand. I have lots of friends abroad and we stay in close contact and I miss them all even more than I will likely miss my friends here. :)

Anyway now I feel so restless because of my decision to go away. Five months is a long time in my world! Trying to figure out how to make the time pass the quickest. I went shopping for summer clothes yesterday and I couldn't help thinking about what I was going to bring to Thailand... haha.

Also I was bragging to that same friend yesterday about how amazingly nice people were on TV!

It's interesting that you brought it up, mrjlh, because on the one hand I'm 23, so I'm in no rush to find my forever-someone right now, but on the flip side, I much rather meet someone abroad than at home. I was saying to my friend yesterday about how important it is to me to find someone who loves to travel and I said, in fact, my ideal guy would NOT be in the US right now because I wouldn't be either if I could choose, so unless he came back to the States for a brief hiatus, why would I want to meet a guy who is here? hehe. But anyway I'm really, really looking forward to making FRIENDS in Thailand. I have lots of friends abroad and we stay in close contact and I miss them all even more than I will likely miss my friends here. :)

Anyway now I feel so restless because of my decision to go away. Five months is a long time in my world! Trying to figure out how to make the time pass the quickest. I went shopping for summer clothes yesterday and I couldn't help thinking about what I was going to bring to Thailand... haha.

Also I was bragging to that same friend yesterday about how amazingly nice people were on TV!

LOL! Don't get too used to people being nice on TV! Especially in the Phuket Forum. But there are some on here that do try to genuinely help out others. They did give you some pretty decent advice, although I can't stand it over in Kata. I go there rarely, it's crowded at that time of the year. But to each their own.

I know what you mean about 5 months seeming like a long time. I have been back in the US for about 2 weeks and I am already counting the days until my return flight to my home in Phuket. Thankfully much shorter time (40 days) than 5 months! You'll have a great time and won't want to leave... By the way you won't need much in the way of winter clothes. Shorts, tops and flip flops. Bring a sweatshirt for a cool (upper 70's) evening.

I went shopping for summer clothes yesterday and I couldn't help thinking about what I was going to bring to Thailand... haha.

Bring very little. Even the necessities. Just buy some traveling clothes and a couple of days worth. Every thing you need you can buy here if not in the major stores but also with street vendors. With a little shopping you'll find clothes are cheaper here provided you don't go after the big brand names. They can be more due to import taxes. One draw back seems to be fashions are behind from what I hear. Also keep all your receipts here. You should get back all the VAT tax you paid when you leave.

Come on you Shopping Lady's ...help the girl out!

LOL! Don't get too used to people being nice on TV! Especially in the Phuket Forum. But there are some on here that do try to genuinely help out others. They did give you some pretty decent advice, although I can't stand it over in Kata. I go there rarely, it's crowded at that time of the year. But to each their own.

I know what you mean about 5 months seeming like a long time. I have been back in the US for about 2 weeks and I am already counting the days until my return flight to my home in Phuket. Thankfully much shorter time (40 days) than 5 months! You'll have a great time and won't want to leave... By the way you won't need much in the way of winter clothes. Shorts, tops and flip flops. Bring a sweatshirt for a cool (upper 70's) evening.

Dude, saw you in Tesco Lotus Rawai I thought not but last week, but I guess it was a couple weeks. Last week you missed some great low season Nai Harn beach time, this week raining, probably better in Cali today than here, weather-wise.

I went shopping for summer clothes yesterday and I couldn't help thinking about what I was going to bring to Thailand... haha.

Bring very little. Even the necessities. Just buy some traveling clothes and a couple of days worth. Every thing you need you can buy here if not in the major stores but also with street vendors. With a little shopping you'll find clothes are cheaper here provided you don't go after the big brand names. They can be more due to import taxes. One draw back seems to be fashions are behind from what I hear. Also keep all your receipts here. You should get back all the VAT tax you paid when you leave.

Come on you Shopping Lady's ...help the girl out!

my 3 kids are same age OP, and they have finally learned to bring little when they come her like twice a year. Bring max half of your airlines luggage allowance. One outfit needs to cover females shoulders and knees when visiting public offices or temples.

When you go back, your luggage allowance will be used. Shopping can be very inexpensive here.:)

Oh forgot, forget about the VAT refund. It has to be done at the airport within a few days after shopping when leaving country

I feel like I'm becoming less of a shopper abroad. I have a few things in mind that I know I want to buy (clothing wise) in Thailand, but I think I'll probably just bring most of my clothes from home. I didn't buy a single thing for myself when I was in Vietnam, but I was only there for 18 days. Anyway I will be bringing my backpack and I will most likely pack a duffel bag inside of it so that I can bring the 2 bags I'm allowed home.

Curious as to whether people think driving is worse in Phuket or in Hanoi?

What's the best (read: safest, pretty cheap, and least headache for me) way to get from Phuket to Luang Prabang?

I found it very hot in November and needed some lighter clothes. Luckily son's Thai gf is a maven shopper. Her favourite place is the Naka markets. She also loves showing off Thai food which is in abundance there.

It's hilarious to trail along behind her, tiny shorts, high heeled sparkly sandals, gorgeous, confident...there's lots of head swivelling.

Couldn't find my way back there if my life depended on it. I think my son was a taxi driver in a previous life. Others on this forum should be able to give you clear directions if you're interested. Dresses $8...

The only thing I KNOW I need are what I keep seeing referred to on the internet as "harem genie yoga aladdin pants." When I was in Vietnam, a girl I knew had a pair in the most beautiful pattern and of course said she got it in Thailand. What are those pants actually called, I wonder?

The only thing I KNOW I need are what I keep seeing referred to on the internet as "harem genie yoga aladdin pants." When I was in Vietnam, a girl I knew had a pair in the most beautiful pattern and of course said she got it in Thailand. What are those pants actually called, I wonder?

So if I sport a pair of those do I get Aladdin status and the harem?

Fisherman's trousers.

The unofficial uniform of back-packers.

thai_fishermans_001_m.jpg

Edited by KarenBravo

Is that you karenbravo???

There are different pants. Son's Thai gf bought them for me at the aforesaid Naka markets. It took a quick removal of waisband, unpicking the side seam and putting a long top over them and they looked great. (She never knew) Very voluminous with tight ankles. Must pull them out and finish adapting them...

No, not sending a photo ermm.gif

Is that you karenbravo???

There are different pants. Son's Thai gf bought them for me at the aforesaid Naka markets. It took a quick removal of waisband, unpicking the side seam and putting a long top over them and they looked great. (She never knew) Very voluminous with tight ankles. Must pull them out and finish adapting them...

No, not sending a photo ermm.gif

No, not me. Off the internet.

PS. I'm a bloke.