Money Doesn'T Grow On Trees

NEP

Yet again inundated by so called financial advisors/wealth management rogues by telephone trying to sell their products, this months 'hot product' appears to be trees. No such thing as a free lunch, I wonder when the Thai authorities will do something about these rip off merchants operating on Thai soil. In reality, nothing because they are preying on expats not Thai nationals.

I work hard and don't appreciate being bombarded with calls and emails, where on earth do these leeches get my telephone number and email from? Anyone in their right mind will steer clear of these tree scammers and other conmen like them, how on earth would they really think you would part with hard earned cash for a tree to be planted with your name on it?? do they think we really are that stupid, unbelievable, you have been warned!

Sure it grows on trees. The locals in this isolated Thai village near Lamphun found just such a tree and paraded it through the streets. :whistling:

Bams_village_7.jpg.

Ha ha, this has to be the one exception!

how on earth would they really think you would part with hard earned cash for a tree to be planted with your name on it

Adopt a tree?

Sounds like some environmental project. Maybe some friend of you gave them your e-mail address or invited you on facebook, thinking you have a good heart and could be interested in *doing good*.

how on earth would they really think you would part with hard earned cash for a tree to be planted with your name on it

Adopt a tree?

Sounds like some environmental project. Maybe some friend of you gave them your e-mail address or invited you on facebook, thinking you have a good heart and could be interested in *doing good*.

Environmental project, just thieves that's all, check out the internet for plantation environmental issues, this is not 'doing good' it's a pocket lining exercise by greedy salesman, don't need to pay thru the nose for tree plantations, seen it all before, jog on!

Adopt a tree?

Environmental project, just thieves that's all, check out the internet for plantation environmental issues, this is not 'doing good' it's a pocket lining exercise by greedy salesman, don't need to pay thru the nose for tree plantations, seen it all before, jog on!

There are several environmental projects in Thailand that are devoted to Thailand's highest institution.

Your Thai friends, if you have any, might have a different opinion what *doing good* means.

Adopt a tree?

There are several environmental projects in Thailand that are devoted to Thailand's highest institution.

Your Thai friends, if you have any, might have a different opinion what *doing good* means.

I would not give any money to any of those good foundations. Usually its all about pocket lining of the people in charge. High expenses and salaries. I have seen it in the west it can only be worse here.

To add to that if you really want to be good just make sure you take a bag with you when you go shopping (just think of how much that will save in Thailand for the enviroment). Use less energy, there are many other ways that are far more useful then giving out money, when usually maybe 10% will be used right.

More sophisticated "boiler rooms" have devices called predictive dialers:

A predictive dialer dials a list of telephone numbers and connects answered dials to people making calls, often referred to as agents. Predictive dialers use statistical algorithms to minimize the time that agents spend waiting between conversations, while minimizing the occurrence of someone answering when no agent is available.

Unfortunately, I use to sell these...and saw rooms the size of football fields filled with telemarketing reps. Brings back some bad memories....

Sure it grows on trees. The locals in this isolated Thai village near Lamphun found just such a tree and paraded it through the streets. :whistling:

Bams_village_7.jpg.

hehe, Good find Ian,

These people are obviously celebrating a discovery of the extremely rare plant species Farangus nagorius.

So rare in fact, this tree is now extinct in the US, but can be still be found in some Western countries.

Its very existance has been the topic of much debate and speculation amongst the northern Thais, who believe it was freely offered as marriage dowry in the late 60's and 70's.

As it takes a good 50 years to reach full maturity, it is usually tended to by 60+ year old farangs who closely gaurd the species until which time it can be cut down and used in mateing rituals for attracting 20-30 year old Thai females.

B)

I would not give any money to any of those good foundations. Usually its all about pocket lining of the people in charge. High expenses and salaries. I have seen it in the west it can only be worse here.

In Thailand I would not say that about projects devoted to the country's highest institution.

About everything else you are probably right.

I think the OP is talking about farang 'investment advisors' who cold call you at work, somehow getting your number.

Happened to me a few times. Dunno how they get your details, but they usually only pick out the farang in the company and try and sell them funds and investments...

Just received a call offering me to invest in a Christmas Tree Farm in Northern Thailand.

The caller gave me his personal guarantee that I would receive a 150% return on my money (investing Cash only) and that it was not a scam.

What do you think?

I don't know the particulars on this one, but not all are scams.

I give my money to established organizations where the books are open to public scrutiny, but I was watching a show on Discovery or some such about a village in Latin America where the hillside above them had been denuded, and rain was becoming a bigger problem. They feared a mudslide could wipe them out. Some organization (maybe the government) bought the land and gave it to the village, but they didn't have enough money to work it. So another environmental group organized a "Buy a Tree" program, and through contributions, they raised enough money to replant the hillside.

bngkkb.

re ... Just received a call offering me to invest in a Christmas Tree Farm in Northern Thailand

What do you think?

yes 100 % for sure .... especially if their going to be planted by thai santarinas : )

put me down for 10 baht ... dave2

post-42592-0-23046700-1306818312_thumb.j

post-42592-0-88007000-1306818334_thumb.j

bngkkb.

re ... Just received a call offering me to invest in a Christmas Tree Farm in Northern Thailand

What do you think?

yes 100 % for sure .... especially if their going to be planted by thai santarinas : )

put me down for 10 baht ... dave2

If somebody will send me a box of Thai Santarinas like those in the photo I will grow the dam_n trees for free

Bams_village_7.jpg.

hehe, Good find Ian,

These people are obviously celebrating a discovery of the extremely rare plant species Farangus nagorius.

So rare in fact, this tree is now extinct in the US, but can be still be found in some Western countries.

Its very existance has been the topic of much debate and speculation amongst the northern Thais, who believe it was freely offered as marriage dowry in the late 60's and 70's.

As it takes a good 50 years to reach full maturity, it is usually tended to by 60+ year old farangs who closely gaurd the species until which time it can be cut down and used in mateing rituals for attracting 20-30 year old Thai females.

B)

Nice tree...... Did you notice the size of the speakers on the pick up truck? :D

Trees `R` us...........the money shop :whistling:

there are many branches in udon ,

they/them , are known as the FAMILY TREE ,

every thai family wants one, or two .

:jap:

No one like this takes no for an answer, no matter how valid the excuse, so....

In the States I would first say, "excuse me, what color underwear are you wearing?"

Then there was silence.

Then I said, "if you will send me your underwear first, unwashed, I'll buy something from you, but you can't tell my probation officer."

CLICK.

Edit for spelling

Edited by happyrobert

lot of monet growing on my rubber trees right now !

lot of money too !!

Any Monet painting is worth a LOT of money, but I doubt if any are available, and I haven't seen any growing on trees. Monet died a long time ago. :whistling:

Nice tree...... Did you notice the size of the speakers on the pick up truck? :D

How do you think I found the parade? I heard them from the neighbouring province and went over to see where the noise was coming from. :rolleyes:

Because I have the time I often enjoy playing games with telemarketers. Occasionally I'll tell them they've contacted a crime scene and not to hang up. I'll ask them how long they knew the deceased, ask what their name is, and I'll tell them their number is being recorded and traced. It's usually worth about 10 minutes of fun.:D