Register My Sim Card?

JusMe

Okay, I've finally succumbed and bought one of the bloody things. Got a cheapie that will hold two SIM cards, one for here and the other for North America. It's a four band phone, so should be okay both places.

Been playing with it for a couple days now.

When I dial *102*9# to check my own number, I get the message: "08XXXXXXXX active for OYOM5D but SIM card has not been registered."

So I sent an email to DTAC asking about it, and I'll give them credit, got an pretty quick answer.

"OYOM5D is year, month, date that you use this number. It is about 5 days. Please kindly be advised that now your number has not been registered yet, so you may register simcard by presenting your passport at dtac service hall nearby."

Interesting.

But now my question is, do I need to register my number somewhere? I'm nowhere near any DTAC service hall, no matter that it's supposed to be "nearby." What are the advantages? Necessities of registering it somewhere, somehow?

[Edit] took the phone number out and replaced it with Xs.

As I said, I'm a complete and total noob with these things, and basically dislike them intensely, so please, keep any answers as simple as possible, suitable for my simplicity! :rolleyes:

Edited by monty
Increased font size for readability.

Just go to any official DTAC office and register the simm card your name.

If you loose your phone or simm card it is then easy to get a duplicate with the same number as your are the registered user.

If you loose your phone or simm card it is then easy to get a duplicate with the same number as your are the registered user.

Thanks. But I'm not off on a 25 km ride just to register my card at the correct office in Rayong city. Kinda hoped it could be done either over the internet or at a local little shop here in Ban Phe.

And now I hope that non-registration doesn't have any effect unless I lose the phone and/or card.

Thanks. But I'm not off on a 25 km ride just to register my card at the correct office in Rayong city. Kinda hoped it could be done either over the internet or at a local little shop here in Ban Phe.

And now I hope that non-registration doesn't have any effect unless I lose the phone and/or card.

Did you follow my suggestion?

I'm quite sure you have to go to a DTAC shop and present your passport. It was made law a few years ago that everybody must register their sim. At the time they would disable your sim if you did not register it within a certain timeframe but I don't know if they still do that.

Why don't you call their helpdesk and ask? The number is 1678 from your mobile. They are normally very helpful and speak excellent English.

I'm not in the slightest interested in web services at all, so don't plan on registering for anything there.

I'm quite sure you have to go to a DTAC shop and present your passport. It was made law a few years ago that everybody must register their sim. At the time they would disable your sim if you did not register it within a certain timeframe but I don't know if they still do that.

Why don't you call their helpdesk and ask? The number is 1678 from your mobile. They are normally very helpful and speak excellent English.

Curious the guy in the little street shop that sold me the card didn't mention anything about having to register it! whistling.gif

I'll wait for a bit and see how it's working. If necessary, I'll call that 1678 number, but when I did try once - and I was probably pressing the wrong keys - I couldn't get the #7 extension for English.

I'm not in the slightest interested in web services at all, so don't plan on registering for anything there.

I guess some people just can't take a hint..... :whistling:

• 1 year later...

The square headed one once told the phone companies to disable all SIMs that weren't registered - something to do with them being used to detonate bombs in the South.

But I think someone pointed out to him what a colossal waste of time it was, and they don't enforce it now. I bought a couple of 1-2-Call SIMs last year and I've never been asked for any identity information.

They probably want your info to spam you.

I registered today both my AIS and DTAC providing my passport to respective shops.

This is also needed to transfer line from an operator to another...

But yes, before this my AIS run for maybe 2 years without being registered... If a day they really need I think they will text or call us before canceling the subscription!

my AIS sim was disabled one day and just showing a letter R (restricted i presumed ) where the 3g or h+ usually was and no bars of call signal either

i went into 12call shop and told them my sim is not working ,straight away without even checking it she started opening a brand new sim package

and gave me a form to fill out with my personal info

asked me for ID and i told her i have not any so they just accepted the name i wrote down was correct but i could have wrote anything

seems like they do deactivate sim cards sometimes in an attempt to get everyones details

The square headed one once told the phone companies to disable all SIMs that weren't registered - something to do with them being used to detonate bombs in the South.

But I think someone pointed out to him what a colossal waste of time it was, and they don't enforce it now. I bought a couple of 1-2-Call SIMs last year and I've never been asked for any identity information.

I believe every SIM needs to be registered in the four troubled southern provinces or service is denied.

Back in 2006 everyone did have to register their SIM or risk losing service.

Registering a SIM does have some advantages: makes replacement easier in the case of loss or theft, makes MNP easier, typically allows for increased self-account management.

The NBTC is still pushing operators hard to register all SIMs - and fining them for not doing so. Maybe the "carrot" will be increased validity?

my AIS sim was disabled one day and just showing a letter R (restricted i presumed ) where the 3g or h+ usually was and no bars of call signal either

i went into 12call shop and told them my sim is not working ,straight away without even checking it she started opening a brand new sim package

asked me for ID and i told her i have not any so they just accepted the name i wrote down was correct but i could have wrote anything

seems like they do deactivate sim cards sometimes in an attempt to get everyones details

On many phones a "R" in the display indicates Roaming, which is possible on AIS/One-2-Call as they have a roaming agreement with TOT. Additionally, "SIM exhaustion" can lead to issues with connectivity; I had to replace an old (~ 7 years) AIS/One-2-Call SIM due to this problem.

I have not heard of any operator disabling SIMs in an effort to get users to register, but maybe they have their eye on you?

I believe every SIM needs to be registered in the four troubled southern provinces or service is denied.

Back in 2006 everyone did have to register their SIM or risk losing service.

Registering a SIM does have some advantages: makes replacement easier in the case of loss or theft, makes MNP easier, typically allows for increased self-account management.

The NBTC is still pushing operators hard to register all SIMs - and fining them for not doing so. Maybe the "carrot" will be increased validity?

On many phones a "R" in the display indicates Roaming, which is possible on AIS/One-2-Call as they have a roaming agreement with TOT. Additionally, "SIM exhaustion" can lead to issues with connectivity; I had to replace an old (~ 7 years) AIS/One-2-Call SIM due to this problem.

I have not heard of any operator disabling SIMs in an effort to get users to register, but maybe they have their eye on you?

possibly you are right and big brother is watching me :D ,also another rumour i heard was that old sims are being scrapped because they cant support new speeds of 3G and possibly 4g which maybe you can connect to if you live in siam paragon :)

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Register? Pffft.

Been through that bs in Africa. Not until it stops working without being registered. Now all my African sims are registered to Albert M - my driver. :-)

Not that I'm a member of the tinfoil hat brigade, in fact I find them a source of great amusement... I'd register in a minute, if I needed it for anything (top of my head, bills being sent to home for proof of address or whatever), otherwise pffft. For what... to feed some bureaucrat's notion that it's necessary, like a bomber is going to be stopped by having to register his sim. Please.