Senator Mcacain Visits The North.....

Thighlander

Moderators, please remove the first photograph, which is simply racist and crude.

On a brighter note, nice to see that the straight talk express stopped in on Dr Cynthia in Mae Sot.

Moderators, please remove the first photograph, which is simply racist and crude.

On a brighter note, nice to see that the straight talk express stopped in on Dr Cynthia in Mae Sot.

it's quite staggeringly racist, not simply so.

Now now winnie, That sounds beneath you,,,,, sounds like a sick attempt at a joke....

I'm not the holder of the official Thaivisa all-time-low Challenge Cup for nothing! :ph34r:

There is a lot about McCain that I don't seem to agree with, but at least he did something with his life...

Such as... bombing third world countries? ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If he was bombing third world countries he would have been following orders.

Doubt if he got up one morning and thought "I'm board, think I'll pop out and bomb some third world country"

There is no "if" about it. He won several lovely shiny medals for his repeated bombing of the north Vietnamese, finally being shot down on his 23rd mission, while he was bombing Hanoi.

I do not agree with most of McCain's political opinions (he is a moderate within a right wing extremist political party here in the US),and he is a politician who waffles as they ALL do, but he has been supportive of the campaign for human rights in Burma and has been a long time critic of the ruling military junta in Burma. His visit to the Mae Sot Clinic should be applauded. Always good to see Dr. Cynthia in the news. And good to see that McCain will be visiting Aung San Suu Kyi as well. So a rare tip of my hat to Senator McCain.

Extremist - no! Principled conservative - yes. America hero who paid a huge price for following the mis-guided direction of his superiors at the time-yes. Regardless of his politics today , he has my utmost respect. We could use a few more "top shelf" guys like him in all walk of life.

Ah the good ole Nuremberg defense.

Doubt if he got up one morning and thought "I'm board, think I'll pop out and bomb some third world country"

Ah the good ole Nuremberg defense.

McCain is a war hero despite the lousy campaign he ran against Obama. I sure wish that I had voted for the old-timer now. :(

You can probably make a stronger case that there were 342 American war heroes at the time. To be specific, 278 in the House and 64 in the Senate from both parties who supported the amendment to end the lunacy.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom! You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall! You need me on that wall! We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline! I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!"

- Col. Jessup in A Few Good Men.

...."I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!"

But of course, such a defense of honer means that any excess should be accepted by (ultimately) civil authority. Nope.

However, the point here is that opposition to Myanmar's government, and drawing attention to its victims, is worthy. Doesn't matter if I heartily dislike the man, have some disagreements, or love his politics: This is worthy.

McCain is a war hero despite the lousy campaign he ran against Obama. I sure wish that I had voted for the old-timer now. :(

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom! You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall! You need me on that wall! We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline! I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!"

WISH I HAVE VOTED FOR HIM

Campaign wasn't that bad. I feel like he was doing a good job right up until he selected Palin as VP running mate. Much too polarizing. I think he would have done much better selecting somebody more middle asile like Joe Lieberman. Or somebody more appealing like Gen. Colin Powell.

Would really love to see Ron Paul get a fair shot in the next election. His libertarian principles are just what the US needs right now and he definitely has my vote if nominated.

Mitt Romney, with his state health care legislation as Gov. and more importantly his religious/ cult affiliations, make him the scariest choice of all. In a head to head vote, I'd have to go with Obama as the lesser of two evils.

To bring this back to being Chiang Mai focused, what is the proper process for registering to vote and voting from here in the US elections?

-Mestizo

Edited by Mestizo

So why hasn't the whole thread then instead of leaving behind a innocuous picture of John McCain and a bunch of replies about it being racist. Is John McCain travelling to Thailand so politically incorrect that ThaiVisa is duty bound to smear him as a racist?

It's late. Finish your beer and go to bed.

Campaign wasn't that bad. I feel like he was doing a good job right up until he selected Palin as VP running mate. Much too polarizing. I think he would have done much better selecting somebody more middle asile like Joe Lieberman. Or somebody more appealing like Gen. Colin Powell.

Would really love to see Ron Paul get a fair shot in the next election. His libertarian principles are just what the US needs right now and he definitely has my vote if nominated.

Mitt Romney, with his state health care legislation as Gov. and more importantly his religious/ cult affiliations, make him the scariest choice of all. In a head to head vote, I'd have to go with Obama as the lesser of two evils.

To bring this back to being Chiang Mai focused, what is the proper process for registering to vote and voting from here in the US elections?

-Mestizo

Mitt Romney scares you? How do you feel about not being able to find employment. Obama has zero experience in the private sector, and chooses to surround himself with people, who also have zero experience in the private sector.

You know, it just occurred to me that the man might be aware of the effects of his bombing and that (consciously or not) his concern about wrongs done to Asian peoples is a kind of reversal. Perhaps it's obvious to some. Quite a telling thought, if true. And particularly surprising when one considers that he was tortured while being a prisoner of war for over five years. There's a picture of him looking like a skeleton, if one searches.

Yet he's been an advocate of normalizing U.S. - Vietnamese relationships (trade, principally).

Anyone who would put Palin near the presidency, however, must sometimes wear a soul in different garb. That need for power harms all candidates, and his was too great.

Edited by CMX

Mitt Romney scares you? How do you feel about not being able to find employment. Obama has zero experience in the private sector, and chooses to surround himself with people, who also have zero experience in the private sector.

This thread needs to be closed as the temptation to respond is just too great and we have digressed quite far from Thai related matters. If this thread is not closed I might be tempted to respond to the ilk of Thighlander and plagiarize from Blinky again and risk getting my wrist slapped or worse.