Quick Bangkok Hotel Recommendation Needed

desidude

Hi friends,

I am looking for 5 star or nicer hotel recommendations for my parents & sister (all adults) who will be visiting BANGKOK for a 2-3 days this week.

The ladies will likely spend a lot of time shopping, e.g. at Emporium, Siam Paragon.

They are not likely to use the Spa or swim, but will largely use the hotel for meals and the room.

Some of the quotes we have received are from:

Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Shangri La, Banyan Tree, Grand Hyatt Erawan, Emporium Suites. Mandarin Oriental is slightly more expensive, the others are within the same price range for the nights we are looking at.

Which of these, or any other would you recommend please?

Thanks so much,

Regards,

desidude

OP didn't you ask this question already in another thread?

Siam Kempinski was recommended by lazygourmet and I agree, since it's so close to Paragon.

That new Hansar Hotel looks cool with that monolithic white lighting thingy. It's behind-ish the 4 Seasons.

I wouldn't stay in the Mandarin Oriental or the Shangri La, just because they are on the river which IMO is over-rated.

Emporium Suites, just for the convenience. I like the hotels down by the river - Shnagri-La and Oriental, but they are a bit of a drag to get to. Emporium is right on the BTS, and in the same block as the shopping centre.

Edited by mrtoad

I used to love the riverside hotels when I came here on business before settling into Issaan. It's no real sweat to take a taxi or BTS to the shopping areas and who wants to bed down in the shopping and commercial district anyway. Perhaps the ladies who like to shop do.

If they too are attracted to being on the river then the Peninsular is a better choice than the Mandarin or Shangri-La IMO. Something to do with the charm of the river crossing (free dedicated ferries) and the view is better, being back over the city rather than over Nonthaburi. All that ridiculous bowing and scraping at the Oriental is a turn-off for me and the rooms are pretty small in comparison to the Shangri-La (v large rooms) and Peninsular (medium rooms) but it pushes buttons for some folks. The Riverside Sheraton's not bad either with large rooms.

Now I'm retired without a company expense account you wouldn't catch me paying those kind of prices :rolleyes:

Grand Hyatt Erawan a good choice for your parents. Quiet, luxurious, favored by upscale biz people. Skytrain just a short walk and is the best way to get Siam Center & Paragon; take taxi (not one of the tourist car ripoffs) to shopping around Silom.

Hi friends,

I decided to try out the Grand Hyatt Erawan.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

desidude

When I want to stay in that area, I take an serviced apartment at Grande Centrepoint Ratchadamri. Took the Two bedroom Executive Suite on my last visit. Has a decent floor area of 111 sq. metres. Similar to the Grand Executive suite at the Erawan, but better for me as it has more of the facilities that I prefer. Though usually I prefer to stay at their riverside apartments, in a much bigger two bedroom suite.