Crackdown Ordered On Religious Tattoos In Phuket

webfact

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idle minds with power.......

I have a large percentage of my body done with traditional Thai tattoos. It's my right to do so. Having said that, I put them where Ajarn said I could. Putting them wherever I felt like would offend some people, but again, it is my right ( and peril) to do so. Some of the things that come up here as news are pretty ridiculous, but that's the way this country is sometimes and that's why I love it here.

i don't think they are targetting sak yant tatoos..... since sak yant is made by Ajarns who know their turf and wouldn't place a tatoo in an appropriate place.

What is the next step....All foreigners arriving in country will be required to strip down naked in front of immigration/customs to ensure they are not concealing offensive tattoo's on their person...?.....:unsure:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't give Homeland Security any ideas... :rolleyes:

Despite the point that the government in Thailand should have better things to do right now, I believe that we are missing the point here. Have to admit, that I checked my calendar first to see whether it is April the 1st again when I read this article about the tattoo ban for foreigner. It seems like we are missing the point here... A person acting like Culture Minister Niphit Intharasombat in a western country would have to resign immediately after his words came out on newspapers since a racism lawsuit would be waiting for him. He is talking about foreigners, not Thais. I have had about enough with this permanent racism here in Thailand against us foreigners and the hypocrisy performed by officials on a daily basis believing that only Thais have the sole right to own, display, buy, sell, paint, reproduce, import, export, believe in, cherish, and now finally tattoo Lord Buddha, Ganesh, and/or any other religious replications on their body. Minister Niphit Intharasombat must have forgotten that it is EVERY persons divine right to do with his or her body whatever he or she wants. I wonder that his implications do not spark a public outcry that goes around the world. He is not interested to preserve any religious dignity, he simply is a downright racist. Otherwise the ban would include Thais as well as foreigners. Stand up for your rights people! When will he order that every foreigner entering Thailand will need to wear a yellow star stitched onto our shirts? Make this public people! Send copies of the original article to your home country's newspaper stations, show the world that racists like Minister Niphit Intharasombat are in charge of running this otherwise beautiful country.

For most of us the yellow star is the color of our skin... no need to stitch anything more

Concerning swastika tattoos. Some foreigners do not know that the swastika has been a symbol of 'good luck', etc. throughout Asia for thousands of years. The Nazi party adopted the symbol because of the misbelief it was an Aryan 'only' (from Iran to India) symbol and it would bring the Nazi party good luck and power. It is not the fault of Asians if the Nazi party stole their symbol and used it. If foreigners are ignorant of the history of the swastika in Asia, that is their problem and not the given Asian's problem. If foreigners don't like it...tough luck ...they can leave and go back home. Thais or Asians should not have to change their culture in order to not offend a farang! And I am aware of the more Nazi-style swastikas and colors seen in Asia. But still, if someone doesn't like the tattoos, etc...then they should leave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

I hate to admit that i was one of those idiots. I almost threw my soon to be sister in law out of my house as i saw this tattoo. Thought she maybe dated a Nazi/Racist or something. So i take my wife to the side to explain why i am about to toss her sister out of my house never to return and then she explains. that it means good luck. Quite embarrassed i then had to educate myself on the history of thai, chinese and japanese tatooing. Quite interesting. I also found it strange that they are not teaching about the Holocaust in Thai university. Is this true?

yes sadly the history of world war 2 is not taught at all in asia except for the japanese part but at the same time in western schools we are not taught much about the armenian genocide, the khmer genocide the stalinist genocide and even less about the incas and american indians genocides ..... yet nobody gets offusqued when they see someone with a stalin or custer tatoo....

Can we expect a crackdown on Thais having Nazi images tattooed...?

Certainly not, doc. This proposed law is only applicable on foreigners. And, besides, Thais have no idea what Nazi images symbolize and if they do, they don't care.

Mr Niphit downplayed the likelihood that the tattoos could be a genuine expression of spiritual belief.

Seriously? Tell me someone in Europe or in the US who's walking around with a Jesus tattoo on their arm and try to convince me that he's a Muslim or a Buddhist.

I think the government should think more about fixing poverty, inequality and corruption rather than telling people what tattoos they can and can't have.

Edited by themockrat

"But, he added, if people had such images tattooed to their ankles or “inappropriate organs”, it could be seen as insulting to religion."

Why would a tattoo of my God on my pubic region, for instance, be inappropriate ? Everything we have is given by God. Is it inappropriate to associate the Creator with what He has created ?

I agree.Nothing more urgent to take care of???Aside fromt that, IF somebody wishes to show disrespect/criticism to any given religion, well, it's his/her choice, I think we need some more disrespect towards the folly of religions, after all the damage the did to humanity.Active but not indecent disrespect is also an opinion and must be respected as such.

Culture Minister Niphit Intharasombat ought to get a life and start worrying about something that actually matters...

UPDATE

Tattooed Tourists Welcomed In Thailand, Culture Minister Says

According to an earlier AFP Yahoo news report, the Culture Minister Nipit Intarasombat told the media that Thailand has ordered a crackdown on tourists with religious images tattooed on their bodies while visiting Thailand.

However, at an interview with Pattaya Daily News reporter, Minister Nipit denied making any statements against tourists with religious tattoos.

Minister Nipit clarified that tourists with religious tattoos will not be prohibited from entering Thailand.

Full story HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2011-06-02

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Health regulations sought to curb tattooing of religious patterns

news2011-06-02_10-10-38_255406020008_Nipit2.JPG

BANGKOK, 2 June 2011 (NNT) – The Ministry of Culture has asked the Ministry of Public Health and related authorities to help inspect operations of tattoo studios after inappropriate use of sacred objects or holy beings in tattoo patterns among foreign tourists are often found.

Culture Minister Nipit Intarasombat admitted that since the ministry has no legal authority to enforce a ban on this issue, he will ask the Ministry of Public Health to inspect or analyse if tattooing can lead to infection or not.

Mr Nipit added that his ministry will issue 10,000 handbooks in both Thai and English to caution people on use of religious symbols in Buddhism and distribute them to related entrepreneurs and businesses.

Some businesses are using Buddhist symbols inappropriately such as on trademark of alcoholic drinks and entertainment places or on clothes and even socks. Inappropriate usage is also found in various media from television to the internet.

The minister added that he will ask all provincial governors to seek cooperation from entrepreneurs not to use religious symbols for commercial purposes, staring from Phuket province where religious tattoo patterns such as Buddha image and Hindu God Ganesh were found.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-06-02 footer_n.gif

Minister Nipit said it was a misunderstanding by foreign Media that Thailand would do a body check on tourists while visiting the kingdom.

Did he really think its necessary to say this. What a nong.

Good idea. There was just a program on Danish TV literally translated called "Poison under the skin". Several patients were interviewed, one who had to have his leg amputated following allergy to the inks used which lead to gangrene.

It claimed 1 in 5 have some form of medical problems following getting a tattoo. The ink used is apparently the same ink used to spray paint cars. There are laws in Denmark making it illegal to use these colors in the tattoo stickers kids use to copy to their skin using water, but it's ok to inject it with a tattoo.

There's a link to the program here. It's in Danish but the images speak for themselves.

Mr Nipit added that his ministry will issue 10,000 handbooks in both Thai and English to caution people on use of religious symbols in Buddhism and distribute them to related entrepreneurs and businesses.

Deja vu ?.....after the (in)famous Songkran boobie fiasco....didnt the esteemed minister of culture propose the same thing ?...distribute handbooks about Songkran ?...Call me cynical if you will, but I am wondering if the esteemed minister of culture has some shareholding or actually own's any publishing/printing companies in Thailand...:rolleyes:

or is a case of just another politican who is very good at inserting his foot in his mouth or if you prefer.... head up ones bottom..

In answer to your question; yes I have.

And I have also seen some Thai men and farangs wearing Nazi style WW2 type motor bike helmets with Swastika stickers on them.

But to be honest, you can believe what you like, as I don`t really care enough to make an argument out of this, so I`m going to have another beer and forget all about it.

Yes, indeed, I can believe what I like. In well over 2 decades of living here I've not seen any such tattoos, and I admit I'm doubtful of your claim.

I have seen the stickers/helmets you speak of -- they could also be seen in North America in the 60s and 70s (especially with biker rgealia -- and there's historical context for that too) -- on people who should have far more awareness of the historical significance in Europe and who had no ancient cultural ties with it.

But I already acknowledged the presence of Nazi symbols, given reasons for it, and stated how appalling I thought it was: I was asking about tattoos.

It's convenient that you care just enough to make a claim, refuse to accept correction and then leave. Enjoy your beer.

My sister-in-law's husband has one (Swastika) tattooed on his chest. It is definitiely the Nazi version (angled, backwards, in a circle), but he doesn't realise that - I asked him. To him it was religious (like the original Hindu version) - if anything, it waas the tattooist's poetic license.

I don't understand, even given the premise, how banning religious tattoos stops people with tattoos already, drinking etc. People will still be seen drinking and misbehaving (both Thai and tourist) and sporting tattooes. Seems to me the only way is to ban tourists with religious tattoos from drinking - lets see how that affects tourism!

I agree.Nothing more urgent to take care of???Aside fromt that, IF somebody wishes to show disrespect/criticism to any given religion, well, it's his/her choice, I think we need some more disrespect towards the folly of religions, after all the damage the did to humanity.Active but not indecent disrespect is also an opinion and must be respected as such.

Culture Minister Niphit Intharasombat ought to get a life and start worrying about something that actually matters...

Are you kidding? Pretty much every first world country has laws restricting what one can say about other religions - some countries this has gone so far that barely a mention can land you in serious trouble. There IS NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH - anywhere!

I wonder how much this issue is related to miss-reporting and poor translation of what he said? Would it have been better if he had said something along the lines of "religious images that are offensive, by content or placement, should not be allowed to be tatooed in this country". Now, that seems fair to me - in a country that is often a smouldering powder keg (both politically and in some places religiously), such makes sense - also in a country where we westerners have been painted as scum by media and politicians since we first landed (and brought them everything from chilli to computers), it surely is better for us if those that can not help being intensionally offensive are stymied (or simply go elsewhere) - so as not to give the media more excuses to paint us all in the same colour (as usual).

Im just curious....

For arguments sake....Farang (1) with Buddhist tattoos has to relocate to another asian country such as Vietnam or The Philippines.....will farang 1 then get tattoos with Jesus and Crucifixes?

It might just be me, but I dont think Im alone....the Buddhist tattoos scream of some sort of acceptance

I highly agree with you. That is simply a human rights' violation. One should be able to express themselves on their bodies however they want. Who is he {acting Culture Minister} to tell the foreigners whether they could put Buddha image or even a cross on their bodies. What about those that do really respect the buddha teaching and want to have his image as the way to express his/her belief ? they have to go to jail for that?

Thailand says religious tattoos taboo

BANGKOK, June 1, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand has ordered a crackdown on foreign tourists having religious images tattooed on their bodies while visiting the kingdom, official media said Wednesday.

Tattoos with images such as of the Buddha may offend Thai people, Culture Minister Nipit Intarasombat was quoted as telling reporters.

He said his ministry had asked regional governors, particularly in tourist hotspots, to inspect tattoo studios and ask them not to use religious patterns, according to the state-run National News Bureau.

It said he would push for a law banning people from etching sacred images onto their skin.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-06-01

First of all Mr. Minister- can you prove that?

"The tattoos were just part of a fashion trend among tourists, who most likely did not believe in the religion and were ignorant of the true significance of the image."

Second:

To believe all Thai tattoos are for religious reason is quite naive, exept you classify "good luck" as an religious issue...

Third:

Isn't it that Thai Buddhism is already a modified version of the original, which is not allowed to be tought in the country?

Edited by TackyToo

Shall we soon expect a crackdown on foreigners breathing Thai air?

only if they are oxygen thieves ;)

Makes me think these types of laws might sometimes be used as a convenient excuse for deterring those of a certain err..persuasion.

The great unwashed who wonder around tourist areas fighting,stumbling around drunk with no shirt and with one shoe missing...arent doing anyone any favours...and its usually these self-obsessed types who love to show off how cool (or bad boy) they are with the tatt.

what can you say..no wonder they are not welcomed with open arms

The great unwashed who wonder around tourist areas fighting,stumbling around drunk with no shirt and with one shoe missing...arent doing anyone any favours...

In Patong they are mostly ozziesovaseas.

Otherwise known as "Jetstar Bogans".

Religious tattoos are normal and traditional. They have been doing this for thousands of years. It is simply more proof that the Thai government are a bunch of idiots.

"In a football match, the audience watch the match from around the pitch. If we win by 1:0, how can it be said that we've lost the game? Everybody talks about good governance, this is good governance," he said.

I totally agree with you. Is it allowed to have a Tattoo like this one? :jap:

post-108180-0-77312000-1307114137_thumb.

I'm all for freedom of expression, but personally I think tattoos are just body graffitti. Doesn't it state somewhere that I person cannot take an image of buddha out of thailand?

Some say having tatts exhibits there unique personality? Well, how about invoking an interesting conversation to show your personality? When every Dick and Jane is all marked like a NYC alley I can't really see the uniqueness of one's self when they all look the same.

Y'know I kinda like a woman's skin pure and naturalwink.gif

Whatever you may think about other people's tattoos, it is their right to get them.