Passport On Your Person?

Lobo4819

It was explained by a Thai lawyer at an expat club meeting a couple of years ago that Thai law mandates that one's original passport (not a copy) be on one's person at all times.

Edited by venturalaw

It was explained by a Thai lawyer at an expat club meeting a couple of years ago that Thai law mandates that one's original passport (not a copy) be on one's person at all times.

...and if it isn't?

Most likely, as with the application of all Thai laws, it's up to the police officer/official who discovers the violation.

Only the original will do. But in many cases the Thai drivers License will be accepted, as will a copy of your passport.

If they suspect you are an illegal alien, they can detain you till you can proof that you are legally staying in the country.

I always keep the original secured and easily accessible. A friend of mine was asked for his passport while waiting at the airport for a friend to arrive. He was really harassed by some sort of police official for not having the original on his person. My friend described it as a harrowing experience. You never know what can happen in the LOS.

It is advisable to carry the passport if you are going anywhere near a place where the police are looking for illegal aliens. I have had my passport checked on the bus from Tak to Mae Sot on several occasions. Presumably up near Mae Sai is another area where you might be checked.

I keep a copy of my passport in my wallet and I keep the original locked in my car so it is never far away in the event a policeman is not satisfied with the copy. However, the only times I have been asked for it so far were at highway check points.

I have not carried my passport on me for more than 20 years in Thailand and I have no plans to start. :D

Same here... I have never carried my passport on me- or a copy :)

Leave it locked in the safe at my house. I only take it out if I'm leaving the province or going to immigration.

Passport is needed by law at all times. Thai driving licence is all you need in reality. If you carry your passport on you at all times it'll fall apart after a year.

I don't carry a copy, but do have my drivers license, and have my original passport usually not too far away in the car.

In most cases, any kind of picture ID will be okay. This applies to all of the random checks. Chances are that if you ever get into actual doo-doo, then you would need to be able to come up with the original quickly.

In scam-prone places like Bangkok and Pattaya, where I usually DONT have the car nearby, I often actually carry my original passport. That said, last time a couple weeks ago I forgot, and of course that's the first time I get asked for it by some police. ;) Once police saw that I wasn't an easily impressionable newbie tourist they quickly lost interest and went on to greener targets. (That particular time I just showed my drivers license. So they weren't able to check my visa status.)

Also keep in mind there are legitimate cases where you cannot have your passport on you, such as when it's in use to apply for a visa for some country, or when it's being used to apply for or extend a work permit.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

We carry our passports if we're traveling out of the province, but otherwise just copies of the signature pages and visa. Just to be safe, we sometimes remember to copy our latest 90 day report slip, especially if we're going to be traveling for an extended period inside the country.

Technically, yes, you're suppose to carry your passport at all times, but we've never had a problem. This topic came up as an excuse to get the students to conduct a conversation (in Thai) in one of my Thai language classes. Turns out the young Japanese men carry their passports at all times, but the westerners and the Japanese women don't. One of the Japanese guys said he was involved in a minor road accident up near Chiang Rai and had to spend the night in jail until he could contact his wife for her to bring his passport up to the jail. He had a copy of the relevant pages from his Japanese passport with him and speaks very good Thai, although it probably sounded like it has an accent to the Thai police. Our Thai teacher just laughed at the story and said "that's because you look like you're from Laos!"

So, I guess if you could be mistaken for an illegal alien, it would be best to carry your passport at all times.

Leave it locked in the safe at my house. I only take it out if I'm leaving the province or going to immigration.

Passport is needed by law at all times. Thai driving licence is all you need in reality. If you carry your passport on you at all times it'll fall apart after a year.

I have been carrying my passport quite some time and I carry it with me at all times.... never had one fall apart yet.

MSPain

I have been carrying my passport quite some time and I carry it with me at all times.... never had one fall apart yet.

MSPain

I dont think the falling apart will be a problem .Losing it certainly will cause you a lot of problems .

This has been discussed before (several times), and I am sure the conclusion of the last discussion was that the law says you must be able to produce it in a reasonable amount of time, not physically carry it with you. Can't be bothered looking it up right now.

I am with the posters before, who never have and never intend to carry either the original or a copy. I can't imagine a scenario when you would need it (apart from hotels if you don't have a Thai driving license).

Over 8 years never carried it + never been asked for it, the only time I ever take it is to visit immigration or leave Thailand.

I always carry my Thai driving licences, but in 8 year have never been asked or shown them even at check points.

Edited by ignis

Several folks including myself were confronted at the CNX airport two years ago by an immigration officer. Our driver's licenses and spouse's ID's were kept for about 20 minutes while they figured out what to do with us. In the end, we were rather gruffly told that we need to follow Thai laws and possess the original passport at all times and not a copy, which I had attempted to present. I've also have had friends that were in traffic accidents and the first item the police requested was their original passports.

MSPain

I dont think the falling apart will be a problem .Losing it certainly will cause you a lot of problems .

I have replaced a passport which I lost in the U.S., where my passport was issued. Was not a problem having it replaced. I believe having a passport replaced at the American Consulate in Chiang Mai is even easier.

Arguments could be made forever about losing a passport carrying it with you or losing a passport kept in another place. In the end, it is up to the individual. The original question was if it is required. From the answers on this thread it seems it isn't required in the sense of showing something to an offical at times. In the sense if what is legally required it seems the original should be on your person. If someone wants to know what is legally required they could ask a Thai official that would know, i.e. Immigration. I will continue to carry mine with me. I have used it for things occasionally which I had not planned for.

Giving experiences is one thing... giving advice that may not be correct is another thing.

MSPain

That depends on your definition of 'a lot'. All embassies and some consulates will readily replace a lost passport. It helps if you have a copy, also of the pages that are relevant to your visa extension in Thailand.

It has been my experience that even when I am flying to Bangkok it is expected of me to produce my passport. Also I have been asked for it in the bank when I use my credit card to transfer money. I also had to have a passport when I rented a car for a friend on a trip we took.

All that being said I never carry it on my person unless I am in those situations. I have recently taking to carrying a copy of my passport and visa and the bank has excepted that.

After reading on this thread I wonder if I really need it at the airport to go to Bangkok or farther south in Thailand. I am beginning to wonder if it might not be a good idea to get a Thai driver License. Just in case I decide to drive. As I said I now carry a copy of my passport and visa but that is just because it makes me feel a bit more secure..

Only the original will do. But in many cases the Thai drivers License will be accepted, as will a copy of your passport.

If they suspect you are an illegal alien, they can detain you till you can proof that you are legally staying in the country.

I carry a copy of my passport along and my Thai driver's license. You might consider a laminated color photo copy-it looks more "official."

I did however have one rude hotel clerk who refused to accept my Thai DL as prof of my identity. She informed me that "Any one can have Thai license!"

You gotta love some of the reasoning here :rolleyes:

I only carry mine when traveling around the country and it's always a bit of a worry. I'm more worried about losing it or having it stolen than the police checking me. So far after 15 years of travel in Thailand I haven't had any problems, but there is always a first time. Of course, I try to stay away from questionable areas or places where protests are likely to occur. There is no sense in waving a red flag at anyone... including police.

It is the law that foreigners must carry their passport with them at all times.

But if pulled up by the BiB, it all depends on the mood of the officer.

For example, if the policeman’s girlfriend had a headache during that morning or he had just been informed that he wont be getting that promotion after all. Well, do I need to explain anymore?

As the wise man says; it`s the luck of the draw.

Last week, 2 hotels ,one in Bangkok and one in Hua Hin were quite happy to take a copy of my Thai driving licence and didn't ask for my passport. This ,for me,was quite was fortunate as the Australian Embassy had just stamped cancelled and cut the bar code off my old passort as I had applied for a new one. Only proof I was getting a new one was in the form of a receipt from the Embassy for the new one which has now arived by post from OZ.I was dreading having to explain all that to a hotel receptionist.I know the law says you muct cary your passport at all times but at the beach ? at the local pool ? going to Tesco ? Like many I just cary a photocopy and I'm sure any reasonable police officer would give you time to retrieve it from home unless you had committed some serious offence.

I carry a copy of my passport along and my Thai driver's license. You might consider a laminated color photo copy-it looks more "official."

I did however have one rude hotel clerk who refused to accept my Thai DL as prof of my identity. She informed me that "Any one can have Thai license!"

Well, no excuse for being rude, but hotels ARE required by law to record the immigration details (TM number, date of entry, etc) on every foreign guest. Your driver's license may prove your identity, it does not provide that information.

Well, no excuse for being rude, but hotels ARE required by law to record the immigration details (TM number, date of entry, etc) on every foreign guest. Your driver's license may prove your identity, it does not provide that information.

You are right but how many times in this country do the goal posts keep moving be it hotel or bank. Always better to carry your passport, and a copy, when traveling but for close proximity to your place of living a copy should satisfy most people.

For over 20 years here I've never carried my passport unless travelling outside Chiang Mai, or going to Immigration, and normally use my Thai driving licence to book into hotels, or other occasions when a Thai would present their ID card.

However, a couple of months ago whilst walking near Thapae Gate I was stopped by two police officers and asked for my passport. I showed my driving licence, but was told they needed to see my visa details. I produced a small credit-card sized copy of my passport containing the visa details and photo and, after studying the appropriate pages, they handed it back and allowed me to continue.

There were other Farangs nearby but they didn't appear to be interested in anybody else.

I always carry my passport. For the same reason, after 18 years of marriage, I always kept my rucksack under the bed (one never knows when one might want to get away and scoot off somewhere else).

I keep a copy of my passport at (whatever is serving as my) home - just in case I lose it - as that will help the UK Embassy or wherever in organising a replacement.

It's only a little thing. Takes up barely any room in the pocket these days (not like my first big black hard-covered one).