Converting Non Immigrant Ed Visa To Non Immigrant Marriage Visa?

G'day to all,

I have a question Im hoping those more knowledgeable than I can assist with, as I have been unable to find a clear answer to it elsewhere in the forums:

Okay, I currently have a Non Imm ED VIsa expiring in August 2011.

I am getting married to a Thai girl in June and wish to change my ED visa to a Non Immigrant O - Marriage Visa.

I have been advised that I need to leave Thailand and re-enter to do this? Is this correct?

Also, as I have a multiple entry permit with my ED VIsa, will a Thai consulate outside of Thailand issue a new visa when the ED Visa is still current?

I have been advised that the process at the Consulate in Kuala Lumpur is fairly good, so any opinions on this also welcome.

Thanks for any advice,

Confused.

It depends on immigration if they will allow you to extend based on marriage. if not, you will indeed need to apply for a visa abroad. For the conversion you will need to comply with the rules for that extension straight away.

When you get a new visa, that will cancel your current multiple non-Ed.

I would leave everything the way it is until it expires, then when its due to run out go get your new Visa based on marriage from KL.

Save all the swapping and and changing. much less hassle.

I'm doing this now.

Applying for an 'o' visa cancels the ED visa (as opposed to being able to extend from the expiry date, as with a 'b' visa).

Edited by ben2talk

Thanks guys for the feedback....after weighing it all up I tend to agree with lopburi3 and CharlieH that the best option is to wait until the ED Visa

expires and then leave, come back on my 30 days and do the marriage visa then. I guess I would have to ensure that I apply for the marriage visa in the first 15 days

on my return?

Cheers....

days before it expires go to Immigration, and if you meet the requirements you can get a Non Immigrant O Extension based on "Thai Wife", which they stamp in the Passport, saves having to go out of Thailand.

• 4 months later...

cheers beano, will try that in the first instance and see if im lucky...but then again i might treat myself to a bucks weekend in AC :-)

hi dragons70. just wondering whether you were successful in extending your existing ED visa based on marriage?