Police Procedure?

dave111223

Had a thief come into our store today; and it was obviously not his first time at the rodeo.

We had 3 employees in the showroom and he spent an hour making fake inquiries about a "large order" of products, trying to distract or get the employees to leave the room.

After an almost an hour of talk one employee had to go to the stock room to check products for him. Leaving 2 employees in the showroom, he then asked if one of the employees could go and buy him a water at the store next door and gave the employee 20baht (exit employee #2).

He then waited for the remaining employee to look away for a second and grabbed employee #1s cellphone and purse off the desk, stuck them in his bag and made up an excuse that he had to get something outside.

We have the whole thing on 2 CCTV cameras with him clearly stealing the stuff, and got lots of shots of him looking straight into the camera. We called the police but they didn't seem at all interested. They did not want the CCTV video, we did convince them to take a couple of photo print outs from the video of the guy (although they didn't seem to want these either), and the guy had also left an empty can of coke behind that he had been drinking, they did not want to take this either (ie finger prints)?

I am just assuming that they will never attempt to catch this guy; but it seems odd that they don't even take the evidence.

In the off chance that the guy falls into their laps how would they even prosecute him without any of the evidence?

At the end of the day there was only a few 100s in the purse and a 5000baht cellphone, but this guy is obviously not just one-off thief, he will do it again to others.

So who are the people paraded on Tv and made to point at guns and such and look guilty whilst 50 policemen squeeze into the shot?

These are the victims, (let's call them fall guys) for crimes that need clearing up………To look good, traceable evidence may only get inthe way of finding the right criminal for the crime committed. There but for the grace of God go I…..In my case, being in the wrong place at the wrong time………..For the BIB….My being in the right place at the right time! Same coin, different sides.

Edited by Tonto21

He then ...... grabbed employee #1s cellphone and purse off the desk....

And why weren't they in a drawer somewhere?

OK, the guy is still a crook but if you insist on making it easy for him..................

He probably was a cop!

Incompetence, total lack of training and resources, absolute lack of interest....gosh, where to start? The average 10 year old in America knows more police and forensic procedure from watching television than a ten year Thai police "veteran."

Last year in Pattaya, 5 cops went to arrest a drug dealer :ph34r: . 3 uniforms, a major and a colonel. (I'm really impressed by all the high-rankers in Thailand - lots of chiefs, few indians). They arrested the guy, and according to one uniform, because he did not resist, they did not search nor cuff him. :blink: They then put him in the back of a pickup--alone :unsure: -- while the five cops rode in comfort up front. :o

Along the way, the bad guy pulled a 9mm and shot the hell out of the truck cab, which crashed into a tree. Bad guy jumps out and runs away. All cops were shot, two died including the colonel. Back at the cop shop, they put out an "BOLO" and added the redundant warning, "armed and dangerous" (as opposed to armed and not dangerous, I guess).

Now, this is not a one-of-a-kind story here in these parts. So to expect any professional performance on the part of these guys is dreaming.

I attempted on two occasions to stay within the system and file two complaints with cops over the years. They had no idea how to proceed, and so did not, and I will never, ever call on a Thai cop for anything anymore than I would call an ambulance if I were in an accident and had both legs severed, suffered a stroke and a heart attack, and was blinded by burning fuel--I'd take a taxi to the hospital. Or walk.

If a thief had stolen a 14 baht can of soft drink from a branch of Tesco Lotus or any other of the big super stores, the police would have been on the scene within minutes, all resources been laid on to apprehend this dreg of humanity and highly dangerous criminal, caught, arrested, placed into custody, then in court the following morning and given 5 life sentences or the death penalty.

This is because these conglomerates have the clout, the money, the power and have those that make the rules in their pockets. They can afford the luxury of having the law on it`s side to the fullest extent of the resources available.

The small business people are considered insignificant and of not being worthy enough for the plying of any police time into cases like these.

Sad but true.

Edited by Beetlejuice

If a thief had stolen a 14 baht can of soft drink from a branch of Tesco Lotus or any other of the big super stores, the police would have been on the scene within minutes, all resources been laid on to apprehend this dreg of humanity and highly dangerous criminal, caught, arrested, placed into custody, then in court the following morning and given 5 life sentences or the death penalty.

This is because these conglomerates have the clout, the money, the power and have those that make the rules in their pockets. They can afford the luxury of having the law on it`s side to the fullest extent of the resources available.

The small business people are considered insignificant and of not being worthy enough for the plying of any police time into cases like these.

Sad but true.

Food for thought, I’ve not looked at it like that……InThailand I can see the possibility of this happening.

Dave 111223 you might like this one.

We have had 190,000.00 THB of equipment stolen over the last year. In brief 120,000.00 THB of this equipment has been located in a second hand company and still marked with our company name.

After taking photo's of the equipment we reported the stolen property to the police who did act on the matter and visited the shop along with us. The owner said he bought the equipment ffom another second hand company who we visited 1 week later because the police were very busy.

unfortunately the owner of this company cannot remeber who sold them the equipment nor took any copy of the ID of the person that sold it to them even after showing them photo's of everyone who has work for us in the last 2 years.

She did however inform me I could purchase back my equipment from the people that have my stolen property for the amount she received but said I would need to speak with them because she could not remeber that either.

Now comes the best part, under Thai law the criminal code section 334 Theft & 357 recieving stolen goods the sentance is up to 5 years imprisonment.

So far no one has been arrested or detained, possibly this may happen after the officers involved in the case return from holiday at some point next week.

Obviuosly the theft of 190,000.00 THB stolen from a foriegner is irrelevant in comparison to the Australian woman who was arrested / detained and faced 2.5 years imprisonment for the theft of a beer mat from a Thai bar.

Hope fully there is someone out there that can advise me of a good criminal lawyer in Chiang Mai.

I will post the outcome of this as I am sure it will make interesting reading.

he then asked if one of the employees could go and buy him a water at the store next door

:lol: And they fell for this? :rolleyes:

My thoughts too. Astonishing! :unsure:

I didn't find this comment that astonishing, I may have onlylived in Thailand just over 5 years but find this not uncommon in Thailand!

We have had 190,000.00 THB of equipment stolen over the last year. In brief 120,000.00 THB of this equipment has been located in a second hand company and still marked with our company name.

After taking photo's of the equipment we reported the stolen property to the police who did act on the matter and visited the shop along with us. The owner said he bought the equipment ffom another second hand company who we visited 1 week later because the police were very busy.

unfortunately the owner of this company cannot remeber who sold them the equipment nor took any copy of the ID of the person that sold it to them even after showing them photo's of everyone who has work for us in the last 2 years.

She did however inform me I could purchase back my equipment from the people that have my stolen property for the amount she received but said I would need to speak with them because she could not remeber that either.

Now comes the best part, under Thai law the criminal code section 334 Theft & 357 recieving stolen goods the sentance is up to 5 years imprisonment.

So far no one has been arrested or detained, possibly this may happen after the officers involved in the case return from holiday at some point next week.

Obviuosly the theft of 190,000.00 THB stolen from a foriegner is irrelevant in comparison to the Australian woman who was arrested / detained and faced 2.5 years imprisonment for the theft of a beer mat from a Thai bar.

Hope fully there is someone out there that can advise me of a good criminal lawyer in Chiang Mai.

In Washington State the law allows Pawn Shop owners to purchase items in "good faith". If the items later turn out to be stolen, the "original" owner must pay the pawn shop whatever price the pawnshop demands to reacquire ownership!

Bizzare, huh?

Edited by happyrobert

In Washington State the law allows Pawn Shop owners to purchase items in "good faith". If the items later turn out to be stolen, the "original" owner must pay the pawn shop whatever price the pawnshop demands to reacquire ownership!

Bizzare, huh?

I can understand that to protect the pawn shop but surely the pawn shop is required by the laws in Washington State to obtain the ID of the seller to allow enforcement of the law.

The criminality of receiving stolen goods surely must have an element of intent?

I cant remember the actual latin legal maxium under Roman law but......."The act is criminal if the intent was criminal" something like that

Bizzare, huh?

I can understand that to protect the pawn shop but surely the pawn shop is required by the laws in Washington State to obtain the ID of the seller to allow enforcement of the law.

No, they are required to make a "good faith" effort. There is no requirement to obtain ID if the person is selling, only if pawning, and even that is shop policy, not law. This was back in the 80's when I first started out in LE. I moved on to California, so I'm not sure where things stand today. But Washington is a very liberal state, so probably nothing's changed.

If items have serial numbers, for instance, they must run them by the local PD, but if it hasn't yet been reported as stolen, they can buy and become the legal owner. Reported stolen next day, even the police can not take the items without paying for them. If items, such as gems, or paintings, have no identifying markings or numbers....well. You can see how the true owners could be screwed.

Kind of an incentive for pawn shops owners to hire burglars, eh? Which is exactly what happened. Burgle, sell/buy quick, immunity.

The criminality of receiving stolen goods surely must have an element of intent?

Intent is a state of mind. Intent is not an element in all criminal statutes and in the matter of possessing stolen goods, is not an element.-- i.e., if you possess it without knowing it--still guilty.

So, someone gives you a stolen watch as a birthday present, and somehow the cops find you wearing it--guilty. No intent required.

That's why pawn shops hired a lobbyist to change the law and immunize them, but not the general public -- from the crime of possessing stolen property.

It's not just BiB that don't do their jobs. This guy, http://thisguyhasmymacbook.tumblr.com/ , had his Macbook stolen in Oakland, California. When he filed a police report, he told them he had tracking software installed. This either was not understood, or was simply overlooked.

After a couple of months of tracking his own computer, he had screenshots, email addresses, phone numbers, physical location, and pictures of the person using his laptop. He brought this information to the police, and they still did nothing about it. It wasn't until someone from the media found his story and called Oakland PD for comments that they got off their asses and arrested the guy.

I believe there is such thing in Thailand as a private criminal action -- where you don't have to sit around and wait for the police to do their supposed job, but can initiate a criminal case on your own completely bypassing them. Naturally, you'd need a lawyer and lots of evidence against the perpetrator -- but it is a possibility (or so I'm told).

Bizzare, huh?

This is good news to people living in Thailand. :whistling:

From the topic title:

Do they ever catch a criminal?

No, they never catch any criminal. That's why all the prisons are empty :) It is a waste of taxpayer's money to keep all these empty prisons staffed, if you ask me.

This is good news to people living in Thailand. :whistling:

Gee, semper, it was meant to show that cops are the same everywhere. Not always acting in the best interest of those they serve.

I guess I should have explained that when I wrote it. For the slow kids in the class. :whistling:

Thanks. Interesting (if accurate).

Your an offensive little fly, buzzing about here and there, aren't you?

Go away.

Excuse me? I thanked a member for an interesting post -- but will do more investigating to make sure the information is accurate.

Offensive? How?

Bizzare, huh?

No, they are required to make a "good faith" effort. There is no requirement to obtain ID if the person is selling, only if pawning, and even that is shop policy, not law. This was back in the 80's when I first started out in LE. I moved on to California, so I'm not sure where things stand today. But Washington is a very liberal state, so probably nothing's changed.

If items have serial numbers, for instance, they must run them by the local PD, but if it hasn't yet been reported as stolen, they can buy and become the legal owner. Reported stolen next day, even the police can not take the items without paying for them. If items, such as gems, or paintings, have no identifying markings or numbers....well. You can see how the true owners could be screwed.

Kind of an incentive for pawn shops owners to hire burglars, eh? Which is exactly what happened. Burgle, sell/buy quick, immunity.

Possibly the same laws have been adopted here but it seems that it only operates on a one way basis.

All the equipment has seriel numbers and is registered with the BOI. I have to show the BOI on inspection all this equipment so this is something else I will end up receiving a fine for if I cannot show it. But hey why worry, I can save my skin by purchasing back my goods. Talk about rough justice.

Sometimes you have just got to laugh.

I will post the outcome next week but not holding my breath.

Did your CCtV notice if he dropped a cigarette butt outside your shop, or ride off with no crash helmet. If yes, he may well have been swarmed on by the real police, 50 yards down the road. To ascertain the culprits details, just supply these super fuzz with their 25th justifiable back hander of the day. Then track down the offender yourself, and listen to him swear to the almighty in denial of your allegations. Call further Superfuzz to the scene and get in a bidding war with them and Mr stickyrice fingers. After he offers colonel superfuzz an extra 3 quid, accept defeat, and drive home with his 'beaming, land of smiles grin' permanently locked in your memory.

Dont forget however, in your blurred state of mind, when your'e 100 yards from home to drive 3/4 inch over a stop line. Therefore supplying your 3rd new friend of the day, inspector gadgetfuzz with a welcome addition to his promotion bribe fund.