Sugar Disaster On Chao Phraya River

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the proofreader has been reading the New Testament

41 And when he (Jesus) had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and brake the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before them; and the two fishes divided he among them all.

42 And they did all eat, and were filled.

43 And they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments, and of the fishes.

44 And they that did eat of the loaves were about five thousand men.

The New Testament has been translated into English as well.... I don't think English was that well established in Europe 2000 years ago. Blame the editor. However, the plural of English has been around since 10-15 years as well: World Englishes. Quite a well known term in the world of linguistics.

41 And when he (Jesus) had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and brake the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before them; and the two fishes divided he among them all.

Edited by frtiz

The New Testament has been translated into English as well.... I don't think English was that well established in Europe 2000 years ago. Blame the editor. However, the plural of English has been around since 10-15 years as well: World Englishes. Quite a well known term in the world of linguistics.

I didn't know that cod in breadcrumbs was that popular back then either.

This is not from the new testament...these are quotes from Thaksin's autobiography...:whistling:

However, the plural of English has been around since 10-15 years as well: World Englishes. Quite a well known term in the world of linguistics.

Well the linguistics' are idiots as well......"Englishes".....one would suspect the gentlemen concerned are American...this is not proper English....QE II would never allow it...;)

Its as bad as "standee's and walkees"

Cabinet will discuss sugar boat disaster next week: PM

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva will table the sugar boat accident in Ayutthya in the next week Cabinet meeting to find remedial actions.

Thai Marine Supply's sugar barge carrying 2,400 tons of sugar crashed into the riverbank in Phranakorn Si Ayutthaya district last Tuesday, dumping its load in the river and subsequently saw Ayutthaya's two districts declared disasterhit areas.

Following Friday discussion with Pathum Thani and Ayutthaya governors over the accident, Abhisit said the authority would initially find temporary shelters for affected residents whose homes were eroded by water.

He said the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry officials were dispatched to measure oxygen in water and add oxygen or other substances to take care of fish in affected floating baskets.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-03

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva will table the sugar boat accident in Ayutthya in the next week Cabinet meeting to find remedial actions.

Thai Marine Supply's sugar barge carrying 2,400 tons of sugar crashed into the riverbank in Phranakorn Si Ayutthaya district last Tuesday, dumping its load in the river and subsequently saw Ayutthaya's two districts declared disasterhit areas.

Following Friday discussion with Pathum Thani and Ayutthaya governors over the accident, Abhisit said the authority would initially find temporary shelters for affected residents whose homes were eroded by water.

He said the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry officials were dispatched to measure oxygen in water and add oxygen or other substances to take care of fish in affected floating baskets.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-03

This needs to go to Cabinet level..?:blink: .....these boys must not have anything better to do...

In temporary land based storage tanks or suitable large containers. There are also likely to be local fish farms that could provide temporary assistance. There you go!!! The first and only serious and constructive comment on the matter.

Sweet!!!

I think fish farmers won't want wild fish in their tanks as they'll infect them with parasites etc.

However, the plural of English has been around since 10-15 years as well: World Englishes. Quite a well known term in the world of linguistics.

Well the linguistics' are idiots as well......"Englishes".....one would suspect the gentlemen concerned are American...this is not proper English....QE II would never allow it...;)

Its as bad as "standee's and walkees"

I fish regular for fishes, but rarely catch many fishes only the odd fish, my friend is a fanatic, always after fish as many fishes as possible. :lol::lol::lol: .................When I go shopping I will always say 1 kilo of fish--also how many fish do you have in that tank--there are shoals of fish in that area-- there are many types of fish in this area.........He fishes for cod---- otherwise MY version (not every ones) .........................................................not many people say there many fishes for sale or a load of fishes died in the river !!!!!! don't forget i'm nth England--sorry

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-03

This needs to go to Cabinet level..?:blink: .....these boys must not have anything better to do...

A caretaker government cannot get into new (political) issues and policies. It must be sweet to have something meaningful to do :)

I know aeration is needed for fish and to keep water from getting stagnant. But how on earth do they think pumping air into the water will help take care of the sugar that has desolved in the water.

Because the aerobic bacteria in the water will digest the sugar which is organic. It is the same principle we use in designing sewage plants to treat sewage, and the same principle used in aeration lagoons. The aerobic bacteria will digest the sugar rapidly.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-03

Holy Crap! 4,800,000 pounds! Is this right? Thats a lot of ding dongs.

Edited by FOODLOVER

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-03

One assumes they are talking about metric tons so therefore would be 5291040 pounds..if we really wanted to get technical

"......officials to collect samples of water around the area where the boat sank and found that the water quality is still normal."

I know I'm being a bit picky, but as the river has a strong current, wouldn't the pollution be a bit downstream by now.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-03

One assumes they are talking about metric tons so therefore would be 5291040 pounds..if we really wanted to get technical

Metric tonnes, usually to differentiate. On the other hand, who says the Nation would know the difference?

I know aeration is needed for fish and to keep water from getting stagnant. But how on earth do they think pumping air into the water will help take care of the sugar that has desolved in the water.

Because the aerobic bacteria in the water will digest the sugar which is organic. It is the same principle we use in designing sewage plants to treat sewage, and the same principle used in aeration lagoons. The aerobic bacteria will digest the sugar rapidly.

If "Salvation" of the barge was not enough to confuse one as to what is really going on, I would beg to ask, what is melted sugar doing underwater?

"Officials have ceased to use heavy machinery to take the sugar out but are using a water pump to suck melted sugar from the sunken barge to another boat instead."

Residents affected by sugarbarge accident to be given legal aid

By The Nation

30156977-01.jpg

The Lawyers Council of Thailand yesterday offered to give legal advice to the 10,000 Ayutthaya residents affected by an accident that caused a barge to dump tonnes of sugar into the Chao Phraya River.

Meanwhile, the body of tugboat operator Thawatchai Chaowilai, 32, was found about 5 kilometres from the accident site yesterday. His boat, which had been helping with the salvage operations, sank on Wednesday night.

Thai Marine Supply's barge carrying 2,400 tonnes of sugar crashed into the riverbank in Muang Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya on Tuesday, dumping much of its load in the river, which subsequently saw two districts being declared disasterhit areas.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who spoke about the matter to the governors of Pathum Thani and Ayutthaya and visited the site yesterday, said he would table the issue at the next Cabinet meeting.

Sombat Wongkamhaeng, spokesman for the Lawyers Council, said the agency was willing to help the estimated 10,000 affected people to sue the company and seek compensation. He said they could file a criminal charge of recklessness as well as a civil suit for damaging the environment. If the lawsuit were filed over the environmental damage, then the barge owner would have to prove whether or not the sugar load had caused an oxygen deficit leading to the death of fish, he said, while the residents would have to come up with proof if a criminal case were filed.

Meanwhile, Natural Resources and Environment Minister Suwit Khunkitti, who accompanied Abhisit to the site yesterday, said the Royal Irrigation Department had been asked to reduce the speed of water released from dams upstream to 500 cubic meters per second for three days so the salvage operations can go ahead. The authority has also filled the area with stones to alleviate erosion because the current has shifted and damaged several homes.

Suwit said sugar had dissolved into the water over the past two days, which lowered the oxygen levels and killed masses of fish. The freshwater fisheries station in Bang Sai in Ayutthaya, however, detected only a slight increase in the level of oxygen yesterday, though the Sam Lae station in Pathum Thani showed a drastic drop in oxygen levels.

Suwit said officials were pumping oxygen into the water to help save the fish.

Abhisit said he had been told that the salvaging operation had been postponed for another two days because of strong currents, adding that the government might sue the company for damages if the law allowed it. He added that the Cabinet would seek remedial measures for the affected people, though they would have to wait for the situation to settle first.

The sugar pollution, which prompted Pathum Thani's Muang and Sam Khok districts to be declared disaster zones, hit Nonthaburi's Pak Kret district yesterday.

Meanwhile, seven people, including Laor Paleekham, 65, whose home was damaged in the accident, have filed police complaints in Muang Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya.

Thanong Thaklaewtossapon, an officer with Pathum Thani's fishery department, also filed a police complaint against Thai Ruam Thun Angthong and Thai Marine Supply yesterday.

Several people who raise fish for a living, along with a Pathum Thani woman who claims to have lost Bt5 million worth of fish stock, have also filed complaints.

In Angthong's Pa Moke district, hundreds of barges transporting goods were forced to stop because authorities have prohibited boats from passing the scene of the accident.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-04

Wait one cotton pickin minute. Sugar in river that should eventually wash downstream. Now 10,000 people need aid to help and file a lawsuit against the sugar people. The fish in the picture look happy, not dead. Rivers have a flow correct? Even lazy rivers! So now people need to be evacuated as it is declare a disaster. This is truly amazing! Is this sugar or cesium?blink.gif

Several people who raise fish for a living, along with a Pathum Thani woman who claims to have lost Bt5 million worth of fish stock, have also filed complaints.

Holy Crap! Thai lady has 5 million just in fish! It better be sturgeon and crapping caviar!

Edited by FOODLOVER

In Angthong's Pa Moke district, hundreds of barges transporting goods were forced to stop because authorities have prohibited boats from passing the scene of the accident.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-04

Heaven forbid that someone should notice that there is probably naff all wrong now.

The plural of Fish is Fish

Not necessarily my friend. In describing several species of fish you would say there are several species of fishes!!!!

The same as saying "there are several breeds of sheepes"

:whistling:

The plural of Fish is Fish

Not necessarily my friend. In describing several species of fish you would say there are several species of fishes!!!!

The same as saying "there are several breeds of sheepes"

:whistling:

What about "sheepels"? Please use in sentence.

Edited by FOODLOVER

If "Salvation" of the barge was not enough to confuse one as to what is really going on, I would beg to ask, what is melted sugar doing underwater?

"Officials have ceased to use heavy machinery to take the sugar out but are using a water pump to suck melted sugar from the sunken barge to another boat instead."

T.I.T. no need to knock the translation obviously "melted" is a direct translation from Thai whereas we use the word "dissolved".

I assume that you are not an Engineer. The barge has sunk to the bottom near the bank. This is not the first time a sugar barge has sunk in the Chao Phrya.. Firstly this is not quick dissolving, try filling a glass of water half full with raw sugar and you will understand. With little agitation only a little sugar will dissolve. They have used heavy machinery i.e. an excavator such as a JCB using the back bucket (Rivers and Irrigation Authority have these on their maintenance barges). Then the remaining sugar is a thick slurry and is quite dense so it is not easily going to rise out of the barge as the density is higher than river water which has a specific gravity of around 0.994 whereas saturated sugarwater slurry has a specific density of 1.86.

The obvious way to pump out the sugarwater slurry is using a sewage pump. We would use a positive displacement pump due to the density.

As for any action being taken against any of the Sugar Companies, an Australian friend, Michael Wansley who was an auditor of a sugar company was shot dead in 1999 after exposing some irregularities and the Thai Courts aquited the Company Director of Namtai Kaset Thai Sugar mill due to "Lack of Evidence". As far as I know justice has still not been carried out. In the case of the sunk sugar barge I have little doubt that in the end they will find that there is lack of evidence of a spillage also (T.I.T.)

Edited by Estrada

I think a lot of villagers will now be selling brown bottles of "Honey". I learned this trick. Caramelize sugar till golden and add appropriate amount of water and voila! You now have honey that sells for ten times more! (I fell for it)

Reports talk of a barge which in my terminology means a floating transporter with a power unit and steering arrangements. If the vessel has to be towed then as far as I , and the London dockers of old are concerned, then it is called a lighter. Does anybody know exactly what sort of vessel went to the not so deep six? I assume that the Thai language cannot differentiate between the two thus causing additional confusion to that which usually attends untoward events in Thailand. No shortage of L/Cpl Jones types in Thailand running around in circles screaming "Don't panic, don't panic."