Phuket Timeshare Scam!

westozzie

I think you could contact the tourist police, it is not that because you are in a place where unlawful activities happen/are condoned, that one has to surrender all protection of the law. BTW curious to know the name of the hotel

Edited by orchis

Pests.... con merchants..... rogues..... thieves.... annoying tuk tuk idiots...time share selling Brits, fresh from their recent escapades in Ibiza......men with clip boards roaming the beach requesting personal details.....young ladies in tight jeans struggling to alight from their motor cycles with clip board in hand.....aggressive frontmen fresh from Nepal....scratch card con men everywhere.......Lovely place Patong Beach.

.....Oh and did I mention......

They tried this on with me and the wife in Bkk scratch card, prize come with me etc. I thought yeah yeah what a scam, but seeing as we were gong that way anyway i said yeah ok.

Got to this hotel (Taipan i think) we were met by this Scottish chap. He sat us down wanting to know if we wnated something to eat and drink. MMMM yes please i said, so after 30 minutes of food and drink i asked when we would be getting our prize of a digital camera. I was told to take the tour of this hotel, i asked why would i want to do that? he told me that he had some very good deals on a loyalty card for this hotel and a few others.

Told him i wasnt interested and that i only came for my free camera, he said i couldnt have it because i hadnt taken the tour, i said ok i would go and get the tourist police and see what they said about his w/p, surprise surprise i now have a lovely camera lasted me for the last couple of years. :o

They tried this on with me and the wife in Bkk scratch card, prize come with me etc. I thought yeah yeah what a scam, but seeing as we were gong that way anyway i said yeah ok.

Got to this hotel (Taipan i think) we were met by this Scottish chap. He sat us down wanting to know if we wnated something to eat and drink. MMMM yes please i said, so after 30 minutes of food and drink i asked when we would be getting our prize of a digital camera. I was told to take the tour of this hotel, i asked why would i want to do that? he told me that he had some very good deals on a loyalty card for this hotel and a few others.

Told him i wasnt interested and that i only came for my free camera, he said i couldnt have it because i hadnt taken the tour, i said ok i would go and get the tourist police and see what they said about his w/p, surprise surprise i now have a lovely camera lasted me for the last couple of years. :o

Well done Daleyboy, excellent result!

I can't wait to get hassled by one of these guys, because believe me I will be getting to get my prize in exactly the same way! If theres no prize at the end of the trip and some farang dude its trying to fob me off on some story I'll be telling him the immigration/tourist police will be on the way very soon if I don't get what I was told I won.

Glad to hear of someone who actually did it and got his prize, everybody should follow DBs example here.

You're not off the boat for the first time guys, use your knowledge of these scammers illegal position to get what you deserve.

You should have told them that if they didn't give you the promised 20,000 Bht, you would go to immigration and inform them that you suspected that none of these farang had work-permits.

You know the location. Shop 'em!

I went to this one as well , all i was promised was a t-shirt . i have 5 weeks of timeshare so they even said they couldnt sell anything. i did it because some nice girls helped me find a hotel and they worked for them . did you stay the full hour ?????????????????????

Sending your post to as many travel agents, newsapers, websites, Thai immigration, Thai tourism authority etc NAMING NAMES may get you some sabaai.

Copy the trojan time share co on every email.

Since you didnt mention the name of the Co not much is accomplished here.

You should have told them that if they didn't give you the promised 20,000 Bht, you would go to immigration and inform them that you suspected that none of these farang had work-permits.

You know the location. Shop 'em!

I went to this one as well , all i was promised was a t-shirt . i have 5 weeks of timeshare so they even said they couldnt sell anything. i did it because some nice girls helped me find a hotel and they worked for them . did you stay the full hour ?????????????????????

5 weeks ! Jrincon, do you mind me asking where you own ?

I think you could contact the tourist police, it is not that because you are  in a place where unlawful activities happen/are condoned, that one has to surrender all protection of the law. BTW curious to know the name of the hotel

Orchis, timeshare operations in Thailand are in actual fact LEGAL, going to the tourist police telling them that you turned down an offer from them will not exactly put you on top of the priority list !

Love them or hate them, they are legal ! :o

I think you could contact the tourist police, it is not that because you are  in a place where unlawful activities happen/are condoned, that one has to surrender all protection of the law. BTW curious to know the name of the hotel

Orchis, timeshare operations in Thailand are in actual fact LEGAL, going to the tourist police telling them that you turned down an offer from them will not exactly put you on top of the priority list !

Love them or hate them, they are legal ! :o

Its legal to claim to have won a guaranteed prize with no strings and then refuse to give that prize..

I know for a fact that many of thier closers are not on WP's... One of my mates started with them until he found out what a con job they were and quit. Explain how having employed farangs with no WP and no taxes deducted in legal..

Love them or hate them, they are legal ! :D

So the dodgy sales persons do actually have work permits then :o

We got a luggage set off the same guy I think. We kept teasing him for about two hours. Boy was he pi$$ed :D

Ah yes.... I love sports. :o

cv

Told him i wasnt interested and that i only came for my free camera, he said i couldnt have it because i hadnt taken the tour, i said ok i would go and get the tourist police and see what they said about his w/p, surprise surprise i now have a lovely camera lasted me for the last couple of years. :D

No workpermits;

Misrepresenting hotels as participating in this 'promotion' ; Thai Hotel Association

wouldn't be happy with that;

Misrepresenting VISA and Amex;

False claims about prizes = scam;

With that I m not personnally bothered by it; but I have manyclients who will leave Phuket with a bad impression and that just stinks.