Work Permit On Retirement Visa

I will turn 50 this month and was told by my friend in Immigration that it IS possible for me to work here if I have a job and get a work permit however I remember on my dad's retirement visa it was clearly stamped "Work Prohibited" Anyone know about this?

Although labor has issued work permits for some who were on retirement it is highly unusual and have not seen any recent reports of it happening. You can always change to employment visa/extension of stay if you wish to work.

Yes, you can work when over 50.

You must get non-B visa/extension based on employment.

No, you can't work on extension based on retirement.

But this is not what I asked. I don't want to give up my retirement visa in exchange for a non-B.

Like I said, my Immigration friend told me that most people just do not realize that you CAN get

a WP on R visa. No need to change to N-B visa.

Please do not reply if you are not 100% sure of this.

It is true that any School could hire a person over 50 to work of course. What is not clear is wil the MOE be able to get a WP on a retirement visa without switching to a non-B ?

Posters are free to answer any question on this forum. They are taking the time to try and provide information and most do indeed have knowledge of what they speak (or they will be corrected). Work permits are not normally issued on retirement visa or extension of stay as policy. They are issued by Labor Department and to the applicant. It has nothing to do with Immigration or MOE.

DocW, I believe you might have to make up your mind whether you want to retire or work.

If a stamp on your retirement visa says "Work prohibited", it will be very difficult to get a work permit unless you change your visa type. Does that answer your question?

In addition, kindly note that you can indeed obtain a work permit if you are over 50 (and have the appropriate visa), I am not aware of any age limit. A friend of mine was 70 (and had a work permit) whne he finally retired (and changed to a retirement visa).

DocW, I believe you might have to make up your mind whether you want to retire or work.

If a stamp on your retirement visa says "Work prohibited", it will be very difficult to get a work permit unless you change your visa type. Does that answer your question?

In addition, kindly note that you can indeed obtain a work permit if you are over 50 (and have the appropriate visa), I am not aware of any age limit. A friend of mine was 70 (and had a work permit) whne he finally retired (and changed to a retirement visa).

The "Work Prohibited" stamp the OP is referring to only means that a work permit is required before working. It has nothing to do with the acceptability of the visa, only meant to convey the message that you cannot work with a visa alone.

Lopburi; Yes I meant the MOL not the MOE. Also I only said that I have a friend in immigration who seems to think it is possible to get a WP on a retirement visa. Also when I asked people to not reply, I did not mean it like that.

Maybe I could have used better wording as of course I want replies but "factual" replies are preferred thanks and sorry.

Tombkk and interested observer;

Thanks and yes I still want to work however

Lopburi; Yes I meant the MOL not the MOE. Also I only said that I have a friend in immigration who seems to think it is possible to get a WP on a retirement visa. Also when I asked people to not reply, I did not mean it like that.

Maybe I could have used better wording as of course I want replies but "factual" replies are preferred thanks and sorry.

Tombkk and interested observer;

Thanks and yes I still want to work however

Well here is some factual info...know a few EX O&G guys who were in Thailand on retirement visa's and went back to work in Thailand and in all cases were told cannot issue WP's on retirement visa's and they had to go and get Non-imm B's

oops. To continue, the retirement visa is nice because you're good to go for one year only signing in every 90 days. It would be a shame to have to give that up if I get a job after I get that visa and then have to change to a non-b and to have to leave the country to do so etc. Now back to Mr Lopburi; this is where Immigration does come into the picture. You need to go to them to apply for the normal 30 day then 60 or 90 visa extension in order to finally end up with the 1 year visa to go along with your WP so some officers are well aware of requirements for WP's etc.

My OP was just to help me decide which route to take but I will decide in 3 weeks when the big 50 hits and depending on the route I take, I will let everyone here know the results FYI. Thanks again folks.

Immigration is not aware of work permit rules. They issue extensions of stay. If you have a 90 day non immigrant B visa entry they can issue a one year extension of stay with proper company documents and proof of income for your nationality (you return one time after 30 days for final one year stamp). There is no normal 30/60 day extension for work - you extend for one year or you obtain new visa entry every 90 days.

Yes, you can work when over 50.

You must get non-B visa/extension based on employment.

No, you can't work on extension based on retirement.

But this is not what I asked. I don't want to give up my retirement visa in exchange for a non-B.

Like I said, my Immigration friend told me that most people just do not realize that you CAN get

a WP on R visa. No need to change to N-B visa.

Please do not reply if you are not 100% sure of this.

It is true that any School could hire a person over 50 to work of course. What is not clear is wil the MOE be able to get a WP on a retirement visa without switching to a non-B ?

A retirement visa is for exactly what it says on the tin ''for retirement!'' If you want to work then you must change to a non-immigrant B visa. Once this is issued you can apply for your work permit, once you have your work permit then you apply for a 12 month extension based on employment. You are then required to report to immigration every 90 days; you do not need to leave the country

Come on.. I'm also hold retirement visa. But I was formation new company and applied WP. and I got WP within a week from labor department.

non-sense...

But, guys.. I have very funny story with my retirment visa. I apply to retire visa to Abnachaleon Imm. office. I bring Bank statement which was contained, sum amount of 35M Baht. and they are changed my visa to retirement visa within 1 hours. Thank to officer.

After that, I have to go to Laos for business. So, I'm going to Nong-Khai. and I was applied multi-re entry permit to Nong Khai Imm. Office. and than, Imm. officer ( lady ) said my retirement visa was wrong, and she cannot issued re-entry permit.

I'm very supprised and could not cancel meeting with my Laos biz partner. So, I'm going to Laso without re-entry permit... it is meaning my retirment visa will be cancelled.. Oh my god..

I no have choise, I was re-applyed "O" Visa again to Thai embassy. when I come back to Thailand, I'm go to Imm. office, immediately. Imm officer said it was not wrong. He called to Nong Khai Imm Office and start to fight by phone.

and he made re-cancel my new "o" Visa and stamped multi re-entry permit on my passport.

I'm afraid with this.. so I drived to Muk Dahan border for make sure. Muk Dahan Imm.Officer stamped 1 year terms entry stamp on my passport.

I loose around 1 week by Nong Khai Imm. Officer's mistake.

When I called to Nong Khai Imm. office for big complaint, they said me " This is Thailanjd..."

yes, this is realy Thailand.. it is meaning, if you don't like here, just go back to home...

Being a rather simple person a retirement Visa is the easiest one for me to understand. Im over 65, and have a Work Permit,and i can have a Retirement Visa anytime the nice Lady told me when i retire.As for all the other Visas im lost, too old and grumpy to jump through hoops.:D

Being a rather simple person a retirement Visa is the easiest one for me to understand. Im over 65, and have a Work Permit,and i can have a Retirement Visa anytime the nice Lady told me when i retire.As for all the other Visas im lost, too old and grumpy to jump through hoops.:D

Me too - take the easy path. If you want to work and have a contract etc apply for the appropriate extention and get a work permit, if retired and you meet the requirements get a retirement extention. Why try and be smart - thinking you are beating the system - don't make things complicated for yourself.

Me too - take the easy path. If you want to work and have a contract etc apply for the appropriate extention and get a work permit, if retired and you meet the requirements get a retirement extention. Why try and be smart - thinking you are beating the system - don't make things complicated for yourself.

Yep, we read all these things here, but Ive never been questioned about a work permit ever.Bit disappointing really.Perhaps I'm incredibly unimportant. I think its just how Thais find you, even the Yearly Visa falls flat,whilst many wave bits of paper and arms about, my Wife talks to the Lady about Hair Colour,and i dont realy know why i go,apart from getting dragged into Lotus.:D

I know one person in CM who has both a "retirement visa" and a WP. He says he wants to keep it hush-hush. When asked how it did this, he points out (as did others on this thread) that they are issued by two different government departments that don't talk to each other.

I know one person in CM who has both a "retirement visa" and a WP. He says he wants to keep it hush-hush. When asked how it did this, he points out (as did others on this thread) that they are issued by two different government departments that don't talk to each other.

Is this person's Non-Immigrant O-A visa stamped "EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED" ?

MSPain

Is this person's Non-Immigrant O-A visa stamped "EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED" ?

MSPain

Probably on extension of stay based on retirement from immigrations and not on a visa.

"Nancy" cant be hush-hush..because the Dept of labour would want to see his passport and associated stamps while the WP is in process, so although they are different departments labour dept does actually see what is stamped in a PP.

Are you sure he is on an "retirement visa" and not on a married "visa" and "retired" as if he was then a WP could be issued against the "married visa"

The Ministry of Interior has made it very clear that retirement visas are for retirement purposes only. It is highly unlikely that a Labor Office would issue a work permit for a retirement extension since it is clearly marked in the passport. Someone may have had a work permit on a non-O based on marriage or a non-B visa and then during the year, changed their visa but not informed the Labor office. In that case, the Labor Office would not renew the work permit as working is not allowed on a retirement visa.

If a mistake was made and a work permit was issued then, once it was found out, the work permit would be immediately canceled. As stated, the Ministry of Interior is very clear about retirement visas and have stated publicly that “Retirees are not here to work. Their visa is issued for one particular purpose and they have to adhere to that.”

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]

The Ministry of Interior has made it very clear that retirement visas are for retirement purposes only. It is highly unlikely that a Labor Office would issue a work permit for a retirement extension since it is clearly marked in the passport. Someone may have had a work permit on a non-O based on marriage or a non-B visa and then during the year, changed their visa but not informed the Labor office. In that case, the Labor Office would not renew the work permit as working is not allowed on a retirement visa.

If a mistake was made and a work permit was issued then, once it was found out, the work permit would be immediately canceled. As stated, the Ministry of Interior is very clear about retirement visas and have stated publicly that "Retirees are not here to work. Their visa is issued for one particular purpose and they have to adhere to that."

Thanks for saying with authority what I have been trying to convey.

The guy I referenced is here on an O visa not an O-A. He has a 12 month extension to his O visa based on retirement. I don't know if there's a stamp in his passport about not working -- I haven't seen his visa, but Hubby did question him closely about type of visa because Hubby is here on an O-A issued in our home country, while I have an O visa issued in Chiang Mai with 12 month extension

based on retirement. Different animals.

We'd love to do "casual" volunteer work here in our golden years, so we pay attention to these minor differences in visa status. No, we don't want to work 40 hr/week for a non-profit, but rather put in 4-6 hrs/week as a kind of hobby activity. No NGO is going to issue a WP for that level of input.

Edited by NancyL

There was a thread a while back about some one who somehow managed to get a work permit with a retirement extension but then found he couldn't renew the work permit the next year. The implication seemed to be that the WP had been wrongly issued and that he had to leave the country, return on a non-imm B and apply for a new WP, if he wanted to carry on working. You may be able to game the system for a while but you are likely to end up with problems and may even be arrested for violating the terms of your visa. It seems to make more sense to apply for a non-imm B at the outset, if you want to apply for a WP.

There was a thread a while back about some one who somehow managed to get a work permit with a retirement extension but then found he couldn't renew the work permit the next year. The implication seemed to be that the WP had been wrongly issued and that he had to leave the country, return on a non-imm B and apply for a new WP, if he wanted to carry on working. You may be able to game the system for a while but you are likely to end up with problems and may even be arrested for violating the terms of your visa. It seems to make more sense to apply for a non-imm B at the outset, if you want to apply for a WP.

Persactly. I'd like to encourage everyone to follow the law and decline anybody's help who has a friend or relative who make it easy and "don't worry". The moment they say "don't worry", it your key to start worrying.

The guy I referenced is here on an O visa not an O-A. He has a 12 month extension to his O visa based on retirement. I don't know if there's a stamp in his passport about not working -- I haven't seen his visa, but Hubby did question him closely about type of visa because Hubby is here on an O-A issued in our home country, while I have an O visa issued in Chiang Mai with 12 month extension

based on retirement. Different animals.

We'd love to do "casual" volunteer work here in our golden years, so we pay attention to these minor differences in visa status. No, we don't want to work 40 hr/week for a non-profit, but rather put in 4-6 hrs/week as a kind of hobby activity. No NGO is going to issue a WP for that level of input.

Any work, including "casual" volunteer work, requires you to have a work permit, whether you get paid for it or not. If the NGO won't apply for a work permit for you, don't do it or you might end up in jail. Your choice, I'm just saying.