Barely Used Tv

SteeleJoe

Against my better instincts, I went for a great deal on a package that included a slightly smaller TV than I wanted. I now have a chance to sell it to a neighbor and get a bigger one.

An 8 month old 40 inch Full HD Sony Brava. How much should I knock off the full list price do you think? Anyone care to make a guesstimate?

It is used and since you bought it new models with better performances at cheaper prices are available. I would nock of 40% of the price I bought it for but be prepared to down to 50% if it was my TV.

I agree. I've bought and sold several items since living in BKK, and I'm always amazed and how many people expect to recoup most of their costs when selling furniture or electronics. No way would I consider paying even 70% of the original cost on an electronic device that is nearly a year old.

Jeez, people lighten up a bit. It was just a question -- I wasn't trying to sell it to you.

I know it's used -- in fact that's what it says in the OP. However while it's true that new models come out all the time, it's hardly obsolete - they still sell it in the Sony shop. Obviously if someone wants a newer and/or better one they can and will find it -- and pay more than I will sell mine for. My neighbor has said he wants it and seemed OK with a price that on reflection I wondered if it was a bit high; I'm not trying to rip anyone off and have not expressed any intention of "recouping most of the cost". By the same token, it's a very nice TV under warranty and if he wants it I'm not going to try and make it as cheap as I possibly can either. Like anyone else, I'd like to get back as much of the original cost as is reasonable and possible.

Doubt I'll go as low as 50% though. That may be all it's worth but if so, I may as well keep it a while.

I'm not trying to rip anyone off and have not expressed any intention of "recouping most of the cost".

I wasn't talking about you, especially since you didn't even give any specific numbers. I was just pointing out that lots of people overprice their used goods around here, and that I personally (and I think a lot of other people) wouldn't pay a high percentage of the original cost. I was trying to be honest and help answer your question.....sorry if you saw it as getting upset or targeting you. I won't try to help again.

I'm not trying to rip anyone off and have not expressed any intention of "recouping most of the cost".

I wasn't talking about you, especially since you didn't even give any specific numbers. I was just pointing out that lots of people overprice their used goods around here, and that I personally (and I think a lot of other people) wouldn't pay a high percentage of the original cost. I was trying to be honest and help answer your question.....sorry if you saw it as getting upset or targeting you. I won't try to help again.

Seems I've offended. Very sorry. I probably both misinterpreted the tone of your post (though I didn't think you were "upset") and replied in a way that was misinterpreted.

Guess I'll be OK without more of your help. (You can climb off the cross now!)

<br />Just my guess on this.  Let's say the turn around time on a TV is 5 years.  This is nearly one year old so 1/5 is 20% off purchase price.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

20% off, lol - The TV is probably 30-40% cheaper in the shops than it was a year ago, then add in the fact there is no (or not very much) warranty left and the fact that it's been used.

<br />Just my guess on this.  Let's say the turn around time on a TV is 5 years.  This is nearly one year old so 1/5 is 20% off purchase price.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

20% off, lol - The TV is probably 30-40% cheaper in the shops than it was a year ago, then add in the fact there is no (or not very much) warranty left and the fact that it's been used.

Perhaps I should have phrased it "current purchase price". The 20% is due to the fact it's been used. He did ask for an opinion, and that is mine.

Thanks guys.

Given that this OP seems to maybe rub some people a the wrong way a bit, I should say that I shouldn't have put "barely" in the OP title. I hadn't counted how many months it had been when I started the OP and it seemed like I bought it just a short time ago. I still don't think it's old but it's certainly used and more than "barely" so.

Maybe some of you are too optimistic or maybe some are too pessimistic. I clearly don't know. I'm sure it's worth something and perhaps enough to make it worth my while to sell it. Worst case scenario, I won't sell it and will continue to enjoy a very nice machine.

Perhaps I should have phrased it "current purchase price". The 20% is due to the fact it's been used. He did ask for an opinion, and that is mine.

My plan was indeed to discount from current purchase price - not what I paid for it.

Thanks.

I bought 3 LG 42" over around a nine month period. First was 24k Baht, by the time I bought the third it was down to 19k, so roughly 20 percent price reduction over than period. No idea if Sony prices reduce that much over the same period but I would say if I was selling the first one I got then 40-50 percent off the price would be about right. That also means I wouldn't sell <_<

My plan was indeed to discount from current purchase price - not what I paid for it.

Thanks.

20-30% off what they sell for now MAY be almost 50% off what you paid for it 9 months ago.

I am looking at a new Sanyo 42" LCD and it costs 3000 baht more than my 22" LG LCD did a year ago!

The LG is now going for 5,900 and I paid 9.900 a year ago ---- (note all of the above are Full HD as I use them as monitors as well as TV's.

Thanks.

20-30% off what they sell for now MAY be almost 50% off what you paid for it 9 months ago.

I am looking at a new Sanyo 42" LCD and it costs 3000 baht more than my 22" LG LCD did a year ago!

The LG is now going for 5,900 and I paid 9.900 a year ago ---- (note all of the above are Full HD as I use them as monitors as well as TV's.

This thread is turning out to be useful -- I was too lazy to think it through I guess because what you and others say adds up. Maybe I'll use it as an extra TV but it's a bit large for that really...just bought the MiL a new TV last month, now I wish I hadn't!

Thanks.

This thread is turning out to be useful -- I was too lazy to think it through I guess because what you and others say adds up. Maybe I'll use it as an extra TV but it's a bit large for that really...just bought the MiL a new TV last month, now I wish I hadn't!

Always room for another HD monitor around the house, particularly if you have a laptop .... but that does mean spending to buy new -- and keeping the old one ;)

An 8 month old 40 inch Full HD Sony Brava.

They probably retail for 30% less than you paid 8 months ago. rolleyes.gif

I bought a small 32inch LCD flatscreen almost 3 years ago. I'm still happy with it, when we move I'll go for a 50 or 55 inch. It's amazing seeing how low these are priced whenever I go to a shopping center. A 50inch Series 4 for 18,000thb in Big C a few weeks ago.

Edited by hehehoho