Name That Mystery Street (Behind Jungceylon)

CrankyCarrot

The street that runs behind Jungceylon has finally been paved over, thank god, but it still doesn't seem to have been granted a name on Google Maps - at least none that I can see. In straight map-mode it's invisible, and in Satellite mode it shows up but isn't labelled.

I remember hearing it was called "Soi Khao Rd" at some point, but that might have been somebody describing it as a "psycho" road to drive down. With that minefield of potholes, you used to have be a little bit psycho to drive down it at all, especially in the rain.

Anyway - does anyone here know the official name/what's on the street signs?

I'm quite new in this area, but I heard Thai people is calling this road as "Pang-Muang Sai Kor". I believe it means "Master Road Plan - Type A". Ashamed, there were too many pot holes there. But in the past week, I believe local government already renovated to cover up those holes.

Done already here:

And more here:

And according to this story about a new road in town: "Thanon Phang Muang Sai Khor“ means "Urban Planning Road B."

My favorite was "Broken Third Road." No mistake what it was. And it won't be long before it will be back. How can a road be freshly paved and still bumpy? It appears it wasn't graded and a proper base laid down like a normal road. TIT.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Done already here: http://www.thaivisa....hind+jungceylon

And more here: http://www.thaivisa....hind+jungceylon

My favorite was "Broken Third Road." No mistake what it was. And it won't be long before it will be back. How can a road be freshly paved and still bumpy? It appears it wasn't graded and a proper base laid down like a normal road. TIT.

The recently temp paved part still isnt officially a road, it is still a construction site we are allowed to use, and as such still does not have a name. With all the heavy build of high raises in this area, there is no point of completing the road to a better standard, as any standard will be rapidly damaged anyway

The recently temp paved part still isnt officially a road, it is still a construction site we are allowed to use, and as such still does not have a name. With all the heavy build of high raises in this area, there is no point of completing the road to a better standard, as any standard will be rapidly damaged anyway

I wish I could find the quote a few months ago of some official stating that in May-June the road would finally be "properly" paved.

I wish I could find the quote a few months ago of some official stating that in May-June the road would finally be "properly" paved.

I think they actually came through on that promise though. I drove down "Municipal road type IV" (or whatever it's been temporarily named) about a week ago and it was VASTLY improved over how it was a few months prior. I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about proper grading when creating a new road, but it felt smooth enough cruising up and down on the back of a scooter. When I stayed in the area during Songkran it was a total minefield.

Just checked your links, ScubaBuddha - so the consensus is it's either "Soi Tan" or "Phang Mueng Rd". What's "tan" mean in Thai again?

I always referred to it as the next road along from Rat-U-Thit, to which Thai and farang alike would reply; "You mean Nanai?". From what I heard, and this was before my time, Ratutit used to be 2-way until they changed it to one way to reduce accidents or something. It was always such a pain in the arse driving around Patong though with those two major roads (Beach and Rat') being one way only. What were they thinking forcing anybody who wants to drive freely in either direction onto the most poorly developed road in the city? You either ran the gamut of potholes on Soi Tan or risked head ons with people zooming up and down skinny Nanai.

I know TIT - really just letting off some steam and seeing if I'm not the only one who thought this seemed like a pretty crazy way to organise traffic flow.

I think they actually came through on that promise though. I drove down "Municipal road type IV" (or whatever it's been temporarily named) about a week ago and it was VASTLY improved over how it was a few months prior. I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about proper grading when creating a new road, but it felt smooth enough cruising up and down on the back of a scooter. When I stayed in the area during Songkran it was a total minefield.

You might have a look at the old state of the

@hkt - yeah, you drove past my old pad in that vid. I remember that crazy week of flooding very well. At least when the road was wet there wasn't that constant haze of dust in the air, and on my balcony.

The potholes were even more deadly when filled with rain water so you couldn't tell how deep or where they were. One pothole was big enough to swallow the front wheel of my Click whole. That was hell on the crotch, let me tell you.

All Thai people call it "Soi Tan."

Soi Tan is the concrete road from Karon intersection to the new asphalt road, approx 500 meters and 6-10 years old.

The new road will be one of Patongs largest main roads, and thus will be named Thanon something

but I aree in the meanwhile Soi Tan tells you where the new road is

How long ago was Ratutit/Beach road 2-way, and why on earth did they change that?

It seems like doing so forced most people to go in a huge loop to get where they're going or use that apparently private Soi Tan despite its total inadequacy as a major road (up until a few weeks ago).

I swear I did this subject already, twice copied!

I live on Phangmueng sai kor , I get mail there;

but I still think as before in my old post , that the road should be called....see pix !

Just 'cause everyone describes it now as

the road behind ......so to get to our new place ,take the newly paved deserving to be called....anything but the road behind Jungceylon ,

Please !!! BB

PS.Can't u guys run a poll !

I even made a sample street sign !

post-35854-0-47496600-1307566624_thumb.p

post-35854-0-14992800-1307566626_thumb.j

post-35854-0-48923400-1307566627_thumb.j

^^^Four years ago, initially as a three month trial. IMO, it improved both traffic flow and safety - but of course, there will always be people who are inconvenienced, no matter which direction they choose to make the traffic flow in a one-way system.

^^^Four years ago, initially as a three month trial. IMO, it improved both traffic flow and safety - but of course, there will always be people who are inconvenienced, no matter which direction they choose to make the traffic flow in a one-way system.

yepp, patong one way improved traffic flow, safety and increased roadside parking

and yesterday I noticed the new road even has recieved yellow centerline paint. Obviously still a temp road during massive construction of high rises, as no drain on either sides yet. Land for road allows for double width of todays paved area, and assume drain and sidewalks will be build when funds allow

I noticed today they are installing traffic lights at the intersection at the southern end of Soi Tan. The junction where Nanai, Thanon Prachanukhro, and the Karon road intersect.

Needed, if only they could get the timings right.

I noticed today they are installing traffic lights at the intersection at the southern end of Soi Tan. The junction where Nanai, Thanon Prachanukhro, and the Karon road intersect.

Lights were installed these a couple of years ago. For the first couple of months they were in operation but caused so much tail-back along Nanai, they were switched off.

Lights were installed these a couple of years ago. For the first couple of months they were in operation but caused so much tail-back along Nanai, they were switched off.

oh, maybe that's the first time I've noticed them. :sorry:

(incidently, I gave you a wave as we passed today when you made that taxi driver jump out of the way on the corner going up the hill :D )

Edited by Old Croc

oh, maybe that's the first time I've noticed them. :sorry:

I guess that now these is so much traffic on the new road that the lights might be needed. Just wish they would phase the lights better. Don't you notice that most light give each road it's own time = wait for 3 phases before it's your turn, no matter if any traffic on the side roads. No wonder the bikes never wait.

I remember seeing those lights operating - I had all but forgotten about them. If they acquired the properties on both the norther corners of Soi Tan, they could install an effective roundabout. Yes, I know... won't happen.

I remember seeing those lights operating - I had all but forgotten about them. If they acquired the properties on both the norther corners of Soi Tan, they could install an effective roundabout. Yes, I know... won't happen.

and the interesting question is, who has the right of way today? or who yields? let me try

Soi Tan, yields for everyone as it is a Soi.

Nanai yields for T Prachanukro and Karon road due to no road number, but not for S Tan cause its a Thanon,

So even tho T Parchanukro and Karon road are two different road, they should have the right of way here, but T Prachanukro has a stop line when entering intersection. Confused? I am :rolleyes:

and the interesting question is, who has the right of way today? or who yields? let me try

Soi Tan, yields for everyone as it is a Soi.

Nanai yields for T Prachanukro and Karon road due to no road number, but not for S Tan cause its a Thanon,

So even tho T Parchanukro and Karon road are two different road, they should have the right of way here, but T Prachanukro has a stop line when entering intersection. Confused? I am :rolleyes:

I pass through that junction multiple times every day. It's just a nightmare. Much of the problem is that historically the 'main' road was from Karon turning left down the to the beach, and Nanai was always considered the 'side' road. Now with the new road straight ahead everyone is confused. Every day I see drivers hesitating as they entered that junction and end up just getting into a mental stall. Myself I just zip though from Karon into Nanai so long as I'm not going to cause an accident. Might be that switching on the traffic lights would be best so long as the light are phased appropriately. Have they never heard of proximity sensors here in Thailand to trigger the sequence if have traffic on the side roads.

If there are traffic lights there, I never noticed them either (after 3 months of living in the area)

As far as yielding goes, it seems to me that the Thai yield to whoever looks the least likely to slow down/stop. 'Might makes right' pretty much sums up the Thai traffic etiquette IMO.