The Grand Challenge Has A Winner.

chownah

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet.....or maybe I'm just a nerd of a rice farmer...but....DARPA (a US gov't defense research organization) has just held it second annual race for self driving cars. The prize (US$2million) was won by a team from Stanford University. The car drove itself (no remote control here, totally autonomous) for 132 miles (too lazy to figure km) over a treacherous desert course both on and off road in just under 7 hours. This race was sponsored by the military but this has implications for drivers everywhere.....could this mean there is hope that the carnage on the highways and byways of Thailand might be stopped.....someday....?

Was there no one in the car?

What's the point?

I doubt that a system of robot cars would work in Thailand, as no one knows where they are going half the time.

I guess the point could be that if cars drive themeselves then you won't have to worry about drunk drivers...or drowsey drivers...or drivers talking on their cell phones....or...or....I guess you're right.....if they had these in Thailand then an entire group of topics of discussion would disappear from TV....I guess I've changed my mind and I'm against it.....thanks Nerranam, I almost thought that something good was happening.

Edited by chownah