Stinking Drains During Heavy Rain.

Richb2004v2

The water in your toilet is the gas trap. The only way that it would have odors is if there are bubbles coming up through the water. OR, The seal between the toilet and the floor is defective. It is a relatively cheap repair to lift the toilet and check the seal. A cheap and easy way would be to put a good bead of silicone rubber all the way around the toilet and the floor.

Take a look under your sink. There should be a "U" shaped pipe in the drain. That is the gas trap. If there is not one there, have one put in. That is another inexpensive repair.

Don't forget to seal the bolt holes in the part of the toilet that bolts to the floor. That leaves the bath tub or the shower. If you have a bath tub keep the drain plug in. If you have a shower, the drain cover should have a cup shaped piece that fits in the lower drain cup. That lower drain cup holds water and the cup shaped piece in the cover will always be under water. Quite often people will remove the cup on the bottom of the lid because they are too lazy to take it out to clean it.

No point in lifting the toilet and checking the seal if the water is still in the bowl and it flushes properly no gas is escaping..

The water in the loo bowl is in a trap, will stay there even if the bowl has a leak with the connecting down pipe.

I watched with disbelief how they connect with the down pipe in my place, just a ring of putty like stuff that comes with the bowl that is squashed down around the down pipe and the floor tiles and the bowl is ploncked on top and forced down to create a seal :huh:.

No it won't, that's the point the water is trapped because of the seal being intact if the pressure beneath it that traps the water in the bowl by preventing it past is escaping it will drain the bowl, end of...

That's how all bowls are installed except in the real world they're bolted down where as here they just install the tile around the base without additional anchoring..

^Correct, beeswax....

The seal has nothing to do with the water staying in the toilet bowl. Obviously you have never seen a toilet sitting outside that is connected to nothing. The water will remain in the toilet bowl until it evaporates.

The water in the loo bowl is in a trap, will stay there even if the bowl has a leak with the connecting down pipe.

I watched with disbelief how they connect with the down pipe in my place, just a ring of putty like stuff that comes with the bowl that is squashed down around the down pipe and the floor tiles and the bowl is ploncked on top and forced down to create a seal :huh:.

No it won't, that's the point the water is trapped because of the seal being intact if the pressure beneath it that traps the water in the bowl by preventing it past is escaping it will drain the bowl, end of...

That's how all bowls are installed except in the real world they're bolted down where as here they just install the tile around the base without additional anchoring..

^Correct, beeswax....

The seal has nothing to do with the water staying in the toilet bowl. Obviously you have never seen a toilet sitting outside that is connected to nothing. The water will remain in the toilet bowl until it evaporates.

Correct.

No point in lifting the toilet and checking the seal if the water is still in the bowl and it flushes properly no gas is escaping..

^Correct, beeswax....

^ Incorrect..................

Actually I've installed about 1 to 2000 of them over my lifetime and repaired just as many having been a residential construction super and foreman on high end houses so I guess I do know a thing or 2.. The bowl will only hold a minimum amount of water in the bottom due to the design but not enough to prevent gas from coming back in as it drains out down to the point of allowing the gas through if it's not sealed to the floor, end of. The tank may hold some water if and only IF the tank flap has closed it off so that it can't drain out..

An educational video for those who are still ill informed..How a toilet bowl works

Note that water in the bowl water must be above the top of the air trap and if it isn't it will drop below the bottom due to the seal leaking below that point and not maintaining the pressure above it..It uses both vacuum and pressure to flush which it can not contain if a seal leaks.

Don't believe me just try siphoning water through a straw with a hole in it.. Good luck

Pay special attention to the part about small amounts being added and preventing it from flushing, it will hold some water but not enough to do the job properly or properly operate..

Edited by WarpSpeed

^Correct, beeswax....

Wow! Reading this again I think that is astounding insight! So tell me, prey tell, what does the seal "seal" in that case? :huh::rolleyes: A toilet has a built in trap and it only works properly if it is properly "sealed"..

Edited by WarpSpeed

^Correct, beeswax....

Wow! Reading this again I think that is astounding insight! So tell me, prey tell, what does the seal "seal" in that case? :huh::rolleyes: A toilet has a built in trap and it only works properly if it is properly "sealed"..

Here in LOS usually the pan has a floor exit. 4 inch pipe comes to floor level, the outlet on the pan slots inside the pipe, the putty is put on the floor/pipe and the pan pushed down on it for a seal.IF, the tank backs up and the seal is not 100% then smelly water on the floor or if the seal is not good, bad smell BUT the clean water will always stay in the S-bend trap of the pan. :)

Remember the S-bend trap is all part of the porcellain pan moulding, simple and effective thanks to a Mr. Crapper. :D

That is no different then anywhere else and now I give up if after my video and clear explanation is not good enough for you. But I'll end it with this, if the seal fails the toilet does not flush properly or maintain water in the bowl enough to keep out back flowing gases AND you will likely see water on the floor as it escapes in the bathroom. If you don't get it from that then there's no hope for you :rolleyes: ..

That is no different then anywhere else and now I give up if after my video and clear explanation is not good enough for you. But I'll end it with this, if the seal fails the toilet does not flush properly or maintain water in the bowl enough to keep out back flowing gases AND you will likely see water on the floor as it escapes in the bathroom. If you don't get it from that then there's no hope for you :rolleyes: ..

post-41816-0-94113000-1307763849_thumb.g

Just for you Warps, now study carefully and you will eventually understand :rolleyes: why water stays in the pan UNTIL pushed out by a flush. :D

There is no other way to say it T/A! You're a lost cause!! (stronger words were considered but refrained from). My video wasn't good enough for your understanding? It gave moving graphics my 6 year could understand (unless you couldn't figure out how to use the video "play" icon :rolleyes: ) and once again to further review one final time; If the seal below, on the floor between the toilet bowl and the floor is leaking A. the bowl WILL NOT hold water as it will bleed in air and break the vacuum B. therefore NOT not retain enough water to prevent gas intrusion into the house nor flushing properly...

I can see you now trying vainly to suck petrol through a hose with a hole in it in order to get a siphon going, wait!! On second thought that's what's happened!! Too much benzine fumes from sucking hoses with holes in them! :cheesy: I'm done now...

JFYI there's no such thing as a "pan" anywhere on a toilet you might want to educate yourself on proper terminology in the process..

Edited by WarpSpeed

There is no other way to say it T/A! You're a lost cause!! (stronger words were considered but refrained from). My video wasn't good enough for your understanding? It gave moving graphics my 6 year could understand (unless you couldn't figure out how to use the video "play" icon :rolleyes: ) and once again to further review one final time; If the seal below, on the floor between the toilet bowl and the floor is leaking A. the bowl WILL NOT hold water as it will bleed in air and break the vacuum B. therefore NOT not retain enough water to prevent gas intrusion into the house nor flushing properly...

I can see you now trying vainly to suck petrol through a hose with a hole in it in order to get a siphon going, wait!! On second thought that's what's happened!! Too much benzine fumes from sucking hoses with holes in them! :cheesy: I'm done now...

JFYI there's no such thing as a "pan" anywhere on a toilet you might want to educate yourself on proper terminology in the process..

Sorry but if you cannot see that the water will stay in the bowl cos THERE IS NOWHERE FOR IT TO GO EXCEPT UP, YES UP, how can it bleed out, the flush pushes it UP and OUT. :rolleyes:

Sorry again as l haven't watched your bog video, perhaps your USA pans are raced tested and operate different to the ones l have fitted.:D

Just be happy that you have not purchased a toilet designed and installed by WarpSpeed. A toilet lifted from the floor will still have ALL the water in it after it is lifted. He is wrong and if he can't see it, he is being VERY obstinate. :lol:

Just be happy that you have not purchased a toilet designed and installed by WarpSpeed. A toilet lifted from the floor will still have ALL the water in it after it is lifted. He is wrong and if he can't see it, he is being VERY obstinate. :lol:

Yep, as the worlds strongest man l can throw it into orbit and the <deleted> water will still be in the bowl. :lol:

You're really quite obtuse aren't you?? That is exactly 180 degrees from what I said and now you're trying to tell me what I have explained to you in full detail.. Absolutely obtuse.. You're contradicting T/A and can't even tell it, there are certainly, apparently a lot of old timers here getting close to Alzheimer's or dementia...

Edited by WarpSpeed

that's the way how nearly all toilets are constructed. but exceptions prove the rule! if the toilet is moved or used at warpspeed normal physical laws do not apply anymore and water can flow upward. these applications require a seal that breaks the suction power of the trilithium-gas which is a by-product generated by the warp core during flushing. if the seal is missing, a strong slipstream is created which might endanger the user by causing...

p.s. nice try WarpSpeed, but you failed :lol:

there are certainly, apparently a lot of old timers here getting close to Alzheimer's or dementia...

i heard that! :annoyed::)

Actually I thought it was the gas and hot air that normally comes out of some of the TV posters mouths that came from the rear end and pushed the water out as it was forced from solution in the water by the turbulence of the incomming flush water.

Most of the ones acusing people of aproaching dementia would never would be let out of the hospital if they visited someone in a Phss\ychiatric hospital. They do stupid things with bits of metal making them go round way faster than they should.

Edited by harrry

that's the way how nearly all toilets are constructed. but exceptions prove the rule! if the toilet is moved or used at warpspeed normal physical laws do not apply anymore and water can flow upward. these applications require a seal that breaks the suction power of the trilithium-gas which is a by-product generated by the warp core during flushing. if the seal is missing, a strong slipstream is created which might endanger the user by causing...

Warpy's gone quiet, hope he didn't forget to strap his seat belt on whilst on ''his'' loo and disappeared down ''his'' pan :o

Are you not both saying the same thing more or less. The video seems to match the diagram, one from each of you. Both very informative anyway. I've never taken any notice of how a toilet works but now I know. Thanks a lot. The toilet has now, for what ever reason, stopped smelling even though there has been a lot of rain.

Are you not both saying the same thing more or less. The video seems to match the diagram, one from each of you. Both very informative anyway. I've never taken any notice of how a toilet works but now I know. Thanks a lot. The toilet has now, for what ever reason, stopped smelling even though there has been a lot of rain.

Lit my Jos sticks for you last night. :)

So the toilets on the USS Enterprise are actually dangerous, perhaps that's why we never see the crew taking a crap?

:rolleyes:

Not that this has anything to do with the original post...but flush toilets on submarines have a lock/latch mechanisim on them. After you use the toilet you are warned that you must close and latch/lock the toliet lid down BEFORE you flush. This is because the only way to move the...err...waste... is to use pressure to force it out of the bowl...usually into a holding tank where it is stored until the tank is emptied by forcing it under pressure outside the sub.

So the whole system is under pressure...and if you fail to lock/latch that toilet lid the pressure in the system will force the waste out the nearest escape point.

That is usually the one you are standing in front of...the one you just forget to lock and latch down.

It can be very messy.

But...I think the OP was talking about smells coming out of the shower and kitchen sink drains when it rains heavily...not the toilet bowl.

:rolleyes: