How To Obtain Certification Of Tax Residency In Thailand

As I am a european national and still have a substantial amount of funds and bonds in Europe I need a certification of tax residency here in Thailand for my european banks. My aim is to get mine directly after I have spent 180/183 Days in Thailand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_withholding_tax

I do have two multi entry tourist visas so will not be allowed to work in Thailand.

What will be needed to obtain a certification from the Thai tax revenue department. On their page they have listed a lot of things but as I am in my first year here I do not have a copy of a tax receipt for example.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/21978.0.html

Anyone managed to obtain such a certificate and or a tax ID without having a word permit, if yes pls post where (I live in Pattaya). Is a tax ID absolutely necessary?

Thanks!

Are you Dutch?

I remember a previous poster having a similar issue due to the Dutch tax authorities.

But if your concern is with the EUSD then there is no witholding tax applicable any more, they have changed to full disclosure to your tax authority or you are exempt from disclosure by being resident outside the EU, usually the banks accept proof of address for this, rather than tax certificates.

Are you Dutch?

I remember a previous poster having a similar issue due to the Dutch tax authorities.

But if your concern is with the EUSD then there is no witholding tax applicable any more, they have changed to full disclosure to your tax authority or you are exempt from disclosure by being resident outside the EU, usually the banks accept proof of address for this, rather than tax certificates.

Thanks for your reply! I have a passport from Germany and in the EUSD and its german equivalent it is clearly strated that banks can only accept a tax certificate from new country, otherwise they have to inform the tax authorities of the country of which the account holder has a passport. As soon as my ex tax authorithy "discovers" that I have substantial interst payment the usual bullshit will start ie where does the money come from and of course trying to proof that I still should pay my whole taxes in Germany.

So to be on the safe side I need this damm tax certificate! Thanks for any help! As I live in Pattaya I have learned that there is one thai tax authority in Patts and one in Jomtien, will try both as soon as I have 180 days plus in Thailand.

^banks in CI and IOM do not insist on a tax certificate although it is one form of proof but they will accept proof of address instead.

What tax will you have paid in Thailand to enable you to get the tax certificate?

The Pattaya tax office is in Centre Condo on South Rd.

to obtain a tax certificate, respectively a receipt it is usually required that some taxes have been paid. but as This Is Thailand i'm sure a way can be found that a certificate, showing zero taxes paid, can be issued which would meet the silly Y€Wro requirements :whistling:

^banks in CI and IOM do not insist on a tax certificate although it is one form of proof but they will accept proof of address instead.

What tax will you have paid in Thailand to enable you to get the tax certificate?

The Pattaya tax office is in Centre Condo on South Rd.

Thanks for oyur post!

Already received interest in my home county in 2011....

I am just expecting a certificate that states that I am over 183 days in Thailand and therefore fall in their jurisdiction I know tiT but guess one agency out of several will be able to state the obvious. Will only go for an official certificate not a doctored black market one.

ALso thinking of earnins a some interest in Thailand and therfore have a proof I paid something could reclaim for example. Or I can try to pay some taxes on the one account that I used to bring in money to Thailand, however interest on this one will be in the area of 50-100€ but could transfer more fund and get in the area of 1500€ interest pa.

but could transfer more fund and get in the area of 1500€ interest pa.

you'd be willing to transfer the equivalent of 5-6 million Baht to Thailand in order to pay income tax and get a receipt for it? and then bend over backwards when you want to take out the money again? :o

you'd be willing to transfer the equivalent of 5-6 million Baht to Thailand in order to pay income tax and get a receipt for it? and then bend over backwards when you want to take out the money again? :o

Thanks for letting me know that money transfer out of Thailand is not a piece of cake as I have thought before!

I obtained this certificate about 18 months ago. I had to go to the tax office in Chonburi for it. It's a bit hazy remembering now but I've just found two receipts, one for 505 baht and another for 255 baht. I remember taking my passport and a certificate of residence from Jomtien immigration. They posted the certificate with my tax (TIN) number and another certificate of residence: R.O.22 to me about 10 days after the visit. Their address on the top of this residence certificate reads Regional Revenue Office 5, Tamnaknam Road, Chonburi 20000, Thailand, and the telephone is 038278901.

Bahtboy did you have a Tax Id beforehand when you managed to get this tax certificate?

Thanks!

BTW could you please further elaborate how to get money out of Thailand? I am thinking about house deposit for example. Is 200.000 Baht going to be a problem?

BTW could you please further elaborate how to get money out of Thailand? I am thinking about house deposit for example. Is 200.000 Baht going to be a problem?

no problem. you take the money in cash and carry it in your wallet (kannse auch bei mir tauschn, ne?)

no problem. you take the money in cash and carry it in your wallet (kannse auch bei mir tauschn, ne?)

Problem is they want to keep the money until all bills are paid. Which is nonsene as my bills will be max 10.000 Baht. Wenn ich mein Deposit cash bekomme und Du Euros hast können wir gerne tauschen, danke für das Angebot! :-)

exchanging cash Baht for cash EURos (if you want to hand carry them) is not a problem. i was talking about a transfer.

Understood, my problem is I will no longer be in Thailand so a transfer is the only way as the landlord will reimburse the deposit only later. Is it problematic when my landlord (Thai corporation) transfers the money to an account outside of Thailand?

Any feedback from your lawyer regarding the tax certificate?

Thanks a lot!

exchanging cash Baht for cash EURos (if you want to hand carry them) is not a problem. i was talking about a transfer.

Understood, my problem is I will no longer be in Thailand so a transfer is the only way as the landlord will reimburse the deposit only later.

1. Is it problematic when my landlord (Thai corporation) transfers the money to an account outside of Thailand?

2. Any feedback from your lawyer regarding the tax certificate?

Thanks a lot!

1. no problem because your landlord won't even try to transfer any money :ermm:

2. no news in this case is bad news.

Understood, my problem is I will no longer be in Thailand so a transfer is the only way as the landlord will reimburse the deposit only later.

1. Is it problematic when my landlord (Thai corporation) transfers the money to an account outside of Thailand?

Thanks a lot!

I heard about the same but this is a Thai corporation owned by a european. So far they have been very fair even intalling a washing machine which was not part of the contract for free...

Thanks a lot!

I heard about the same but this is a Thai corporation owned by a european. So far they have been very fair even intalling a washing machine which was not part of the contract for free...

Lets assume my landlord is willing to return the deposit, will it be a problem if

A. They transfer from their account to my european account.

B. I transfer from a thai account to my european thai account.

C. They could pay me back via my credit card

As I am allergic to bank fees how much will it cost me to do either of the above.

Thanks!

Lets assume my landlord is willing to return the deposit, will it be a problem if

As I am allergic to bank fees how much will it cost me to do either of the above.

Thanks!

Can anyone give recommendations on money transfer out of LOS?

Edited by stat

Thanks!

Anyone a recommendation? Thanks!

Depends on how much you want to transfer.

If it's only a couple of months rent deposit ( a couple of thousand US$ at most) convert it to cash.

If it a few million Baht just ask at your bank, you might get lucky, if not keep trying different banks.

If it's only a couple of months rent deposit ( a couple of thousand US$ at most) convert it to cash.

If it a few million Baht just ask at your bank, you might get lucky, if not keep trying different banks.

I have left Thailand already when my deposit will be returned, so cash conversion is not an option. I am talking 180.000 Baht in total.

I have left Thailand already when my deposit will be returned, so cash conversion is not an option. I am talking 180.000 Baht in total.

arrange with your landlord to use the deposit for the last 2 (?) months rent. i did that when renting during the construction of my house.

arrange with your landlord to use the deposit for the last 2 (?) months rent. i did that when renting during the construction of my house.

My contract says explicitly "deposit" will only be returned after the last utility bill has been paid.

My contract says explicitly "deposit" will only be returned after the last utility bill has been paid.

a newbie's tough luck. did you use "Eddie" as an agent? if yes, talk to him. if not, at least try and talk to the landlord and use as a bait advance payment of rent for the remaining months of the contract plus withholding a fair amount for the last electricity bill.

Got a mate that could collect the cash and send it to you?

Or transfer the currency equivalent from his offshore account to yours?

Thanks for your mail! Nope barely know a soul here...

Back to my main topic did anyone manage to get a certificate of tax residency? Will try to get something from immigration that states Mr. x has spent up to the current date 190 days in Thailand. However most european banks are clueless and cannot answer my question which document will be needed exactly from which department....

a newbie's tough luck. did you use "Eddie" as an agent? if yes, talk to him. if not, at least try and talk to the landlord and use as a bait advance payment of rent for the remaining months of the contract plus withholding a fair amount for the last electricity bill.

nope could not use Eddy in this case. I will bait with pretending I am interesed in buying the house and get as much deposit back as possible in cash when I leave :-)

• 1 month later...

I tried the german Embassy in Bangkok yesterday to get a certification that I have spent 183 days plus in Bangkok. First response they do not do it and anyway it is no problem to see from the stamps in the passport. I explain no it is not so easy as a geman compliance department has no interest and understanding of immigration stamps in Thailand and asked again. Then he declared hmm it is to difficult as I have so many stamps (in my case 3 exists in 7 months) and he cannot tell when I was in Thailand Then after my insisting the head of department turned up and said german embassy cannot provide a letter stating how many days I have spent in Thailand...

I have one joker left but will not publish after I have hopefully obtained that statement :-) So guys no need to go to the german embassy, english embassy will probably do it as I was told by an english guy...

• 9 years later...
On 6/8/2011 at 1:58 PM, Naam said:

to obtain a tax certificate, respectively a receipt it is usually required that some taxes have been paid. but as This Is Thailand i'm sure a way can be found that a certificate, showing zero taxes paid, can be issued which would meet the silly Y€Wro requirements :whistling:

I once needed a declaration from the Thai tax office that I wasn't working in Thailand for the German tax office (they provide the form in German,French and English).....it went something like this ;- "Could you please sign this form"

she retreated to the bosses office, "no because you don't have a tax number"

"I don't have a tax number because I'm not working could you just affirm this"?

"no, because you may be working unofficially"

I searched the internet and found a court judgement in Frankfurt from 1967 that the German embassy would confirm that a foreign government office wouldn't sign a confirmation so I sent an email to the German embassy and received a confirmation of none confirmation and that sufficed for the German tax office. (it's a mad world)