Sugarcane Questions

Anyone out there know much about sugar? We are trying to plant our second field, but FIL says there is too much rain, the cane won't come up well. He recommends waiting for better weather or wait till Nov. Trying to decide what to do, but I have a lack of experience on this. First year. We are ready to go. We will lose the sugarcane that we bought if we don't plant it, but if we plant it, I understand we may lose more than that. Any experience out there? This field is 48 rai.

Thanks

I would listen to the experienced advice. You can sell the sugar cane that you bought for planting and buy again when ready to plant. You shouldn't lose much.

I think its to wet at the moment.

In our area (phitsanulok, kamphang phet, sukothai) the sugarmills are still open so you can sell it to them.

I do not know which area you are but most likely they are still open

Cheers

jopham

I don't have an answer to your question but pretty soon I will be in the same boat.

My wife and I have recently bought an operating sugar cane farm, we are allowing the previous owners to keep farming the land untill we are ready to take over.

Next month I will start to built a house on the property and I intend to watch and learn how they grow the stuff and probably take over operations end of this year sometimes.

Please keep us posted on your progress. Perhaps we could start a sugar cane growning thread.

Good luck mate.

Yep we bought 72 Rai last year in Phetchabun. Planted 10 rai of sugar so we can cut and replant in November. That's the plan anyway.

There doesnt seem to be many out there who grow this stuff - or at least a lot of the threads have died out. Not sure why as you can make good coin with sugar and its very low maintenance.

We have decided to plant. We are going to plant more sugar (double planting) as we have more than we need, and the theory of wife and MIL, is that twice the sugar will make up for not coming up well. FIL is going along with the idea. We'll see what happens. At this point we are having problems with the crew that contracted the planting. They are inconsistent and we are looking for another crew.

One thing that I have learned so far is that hiring a tractor to do tractor work is cheaper, but sure a pain in the ass, because of inconsistency, and when you need a tractor, so does everyone else. When it is time to plant again. We will likely buy our own tractor and learn how to use it ourselves. This whole concept of farming from afar is a wonderful idea, but it is more expensive as you hire out everything. Over the next 3 years, we will likely buy a small plot, build a house, buy a tractor and an eDen, and go stay there for the planting and the harvest.

It is getting done.... we have almost got 80 rai planted, but it is really uncertain who is doing what and when. Really helps to have an attitude of "whatever"......

We have decided to plant. We are going to plant more sugar (double planting) as we have more than we need, and the theory of wife and MIL, is that twice the sugar will make up for not coming up well. FIL is going along with the idea. We'll see what happens. At this point we are having problems with the crew that contracted the planting. They are inconsistent and we are looking for another crew.

One thing that I have learned so far is that hiring a tractor to do tractor work is cheaper, but sure a pain in the ass, because of inconsistency, and when you need a tractor, so does everyone else. When it is time to plant again. We will likely buy our own tractor and learn how to use it ourselves. This whole concept of farming from afar is a wonderful idea, but it is more expensive as you hire out everything. Over the next 3 years, we will likely buy a small plot, build a house, buy a tractor and an eDen, and go stay there for the planting and the harvest.

It is getting done.... we have almost got 80 rai planted, but it is really uncertain who is doing what and when. Really helps to have an attitude of "whatever"......

80 rai! wow thats a lot! We have 15 rai but intend to use 2 rai to experiment with organic vegies.

You're right about farming from afar, really need to be on the ground to manage the process.

We bought in Kanchanaburi so it's only a 90 minute drive to Bkk and work.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

I used to grow good sugar but gave up because of the harvest quota system slowly harvest.

Unless you want to outlay about 4-5 million baht for machinery stick with contractors to plant and harvest you will still make a modest profit.

Spread your eggs,man sapalung and maize are also good cash crops avalible.

With sugar make sure your setts are no more than 8-10 months old when planting.

And when harvesting febuary/march will give your best ccs value to get the best potential out of your crop

After speaking to the father in law seems our sugar has now bedded in quite well [around 4ft] for cutting and replanting in November. It is raining at a lick in Phetchabun though seems not to have affected our crop too much.

Good advice there farmerjo. What kind of profits can you make from man sapalung is it similar to maize ?

We've decided not to bother with buying machinery as out neighbour seems to have most if not all we need and he gives us very reasonable rates / rai to use.

Hi Farmerjo.. I don't quite understand the phrase "harvest quota system slowly harvest". Cold you enlighten me a little? Thanks

I used to grow good sugar but gave up because of the harvest quota system slowly harvest.

Unless you want to outlay about 4-5 million baht for machinery stick with contractors to plant and harvest you will still make a modest profit.

Spread your eggs,man sapalung and maize are also good cash crops avalible.

With sugar make sure your setts are no more than 8-10 months old when planting.

And when harvesting febuary/march will give your best ccs value to get the best potential out of your crop

Hi joker7,

Think best to ask khonwan about cassava prices as i dont grow it but have alot grown around me which makes me think the locals are on to something.

I have 80 rai of maize in. Planted on 4th april,variety 339(syngenta)45 kilo's npk 15-15-15 with thai planting machine.

Land worked 3 times before seeding(mainly to grt rid of stones and stumps).

Have had 18 inches of rain since it came out of ground,looking pretty good with some plants chuting out 2-3 cobs.

No chemical was used.Since alot is newland i buget on 120000 profit with potential for alot more.

Trying to talk a local rice harvestor contractor into converting it to harvest maize as well to as labour wont be easy.

Canada,

When you grow sugar you either sign a contract with a local mill or sell for cash.

If you sign a contract normally depending on how much you grow you will be allowed to take that amount everyday or second day to unload.

Eg-you grow 800 tons,you might be allowed to take 10 ton a day to factory or delivery point=80 days for harvest minimum without breakdowns.

Thats nearly 3 months,now when from what they told me at the r&d centre a few years ago you produce the best sugar content in febuary/march(ccs).(50-60days).

So for me with that system its to slow for harvest

Not saying ther's not good money to be made but its how much stress you want for a harvest and 3 months is to long for me.

If you sell for cash they will pay under what a contract will with no ccs bonus.(ccs is the sugar content Eg 8-15 percent)

Another point being which wont be the case for most is if you sign a contract it will and go into your wifes name and bank account now sometimes its difficult to explain to them its not all profit and you need a percentage back to put in or maintain the next year crop or you will have no crop.

Personally maize is a cash crop which you get paid cash by the truckload,however you have to have the right land ,weather and rainfall,like any other crop to make it work.(timing)

I hope i haveshedsome light for newbies and maybe ther might be some up to date sugar growers out there who can help.:)

Farmerjo, thank you for the enlightenment. Talking with my wife, apparently she has been telling me all of this.... guess I should shut up and listen sometimes.....

10 tons a day equals about a rai a day...... that's not a lot. And then you need a truck to haul and sit in line for a day or two Yes???? So the brokers come around and buy all the little guys stuff for less than market value, they haul in and get privilidges at the line as they have there own quota, and then they get the ccs bonus as well.... little guy can't do much, as he has no truck, and doesn't want to harvest a little every day for 2-3 months, so he sells to the broker..... it's a racket..... what you are describing is a screw the little guy game... yes???

At say 50-100 rai you wouldnt beconsidered small, as to the smaller farmer and family it's manageable.

It comes down to how far you stick your neck out to have the required machinery to make your land work for you.

Personally i have most of what you need to be in agriculture but i dont sub contract any equipment .

That hopefully holds me in good stead with the local contractors and family farmers around.