Overstay More Than 1 Year

I'm an American who has an overstay of more than a year. In addition, my passport has been expired for two months. I plan to return to the States next month and pay the 20K fine at the airport. Have there been any changes concerning overstay? I've done this 3 times before with no hassles but I also realise that policy/laws change quickly. And like the previous three times, I'm beginning to sweat.

Do I need to prepare for my departure to Chicago next month other than have 20K?

Suggestions, comments or experiences are much appreciated.

Joe

Edited by joemalone

I don't know about the consequences for having previously overstayed, however, a friend recently left after a year overstay and he only had to pay the 20K at the airport. This was about a month ago. He tried to get a tourist visa in HK, but was turned down because of the overstay. He was told he could still return to Thailand, but had to use the visa exemption allowed for US citizens, which he did.

My friend had the same problem, he went to the Embassy and told them, he was assisted in getting a new valid passport, and told that he had to deal with Immigration himself. I got him to contact Claudio (many people know him), and he arranged a visa run, he paid the fine, spent the night in a decent hotel and travelled back to Thailand with a new double entry tourist visa. This was about 15 months ago, and times change. Also it was the British Embassy.

Not smart, but he will need to get a new passport as soon as possible and then go to immirgation to have his entry details transferred to the new passport and at the same time probably pay the fine and get a 7 day under consideration stamp.

He should go to immigration with 20,000 baht for the overstay, 1,900 for 7 day under consideration, 1 passport photo and a ticket out of the country within 7 days.

the problem with this joe, is that when you get your new passport, you must go to the

immigration office (suan-plhu or wherever the heck it is now) and get the last entry

stamp transferred to the new book. you simply can't just go to the airport as before?

i would advise having the 20K cash on your person as proof you can pay it and an onward

flight ticket. there was one individual on here who used to assist folks in distress at

the immigration detention centre (badbanker) knows the current situation down there.

you might want to verify that with the embassy, correct procedure. they can advise. :ermm:

oooppss...super mario posted in interim. defer to his post joe

Edited by cali4995

I am pretty sure the op doesn't need a new passport to return to his country of citizenship. I know 100% that a British passport is valid for travel home no matter how old it is. I think the same applies to many countries. Even if your passport expires your still a lawful citizen, most airlines will allow you to travel but it is best to check before booking.

Correct, strictly speaking if he has a direct flight home to the US he could travel on his expired passport and just pay the overstay fine at the airport.

However, if it is a flight with a change of flight it might be a little bit more complicated.

And for sure it can become a problem,when he has to travel far through Thailand. Elections are coming and police presence on streets is stronger then usually. And here at one of the normal police checkpoints to Mae Sot, a friend of mine traveling saw the first time, when they take out a foreigner from the bus because of some visa problems in his passport.

So you probably also should notice, that traveling through Thailand can cause even more bigger problems, as for sure you will be arrested, once an officers want to check your passport and realizes, what's going on.

I can imagine, going to the most closest immigration office probably is the best, after you called also your embassy and asking for advice as well.

Immigration offices tend to only deal with overstays if under 40 or 42 days - it tends to be the actual in/out ports that deal with the bigger ones. Then you also have to have a ticket to your home country, but unless someone knows different..............................................jap.gif

Mae Sot has a lot of immirgation checks because of the refugees in the area. Not uncommen that they check Westerners too there, especially when they travel with public transport.

My understanding is it is the same in other areas with a lot of refugees/illegal immigrants.