Most Wheelchair Accessible Beach In Phuket?

tonititan

Hi, I have done a forum search, but much of the information is several years old (or it only applies to specific beaches). I would appreciate input from anyone who might be more familiar than I am with all of Phuket. :)

I'm trying to figure out what would be the most accessible beach to stay at in Phuket - I want to pick a beach first, then find a hotel. I am leaning towards a beach on the north, west, or south coast. I'm pretty open, but I really don't want to stay in Patong. Ideally I want a place that is relatively quiet, but still has a few restaurants, etc. I enjoy places such as Kata and Karon, but I know there are many other beaches out there. The main criteria would be wheelchair accessibility on sidewalks, roads, & footpaths. It's a relatively light manual wheelchair, so it can be lifted up small curbs. Any suggestion for an area with the most sidewalks/paths? Thanks!

Karon is the first place that comes to mind. It has a very long beach with a sidewalk almost the entire way. Plus there are several cement pathway's which also connect to the beach. Go to Google Earth and zoom in on Karon. You'll get a better idea of the beach front, access from hotels, etc. There are several hotels along the beach across the road. Cross the road only where security is posted otherwise you stand the chance of getting run over. Thai motorist don't always feel it's their duty to stop. Only hotel I think that would have better accommodation for you is the Hilton. But I'm sure there are a few others along the beach road.

Thanks KarenBravo. I'll give info on the nearby beach, not my hotel (the OP can PM me for this).

The beach is Nai Yang beach, which is a relatively unspoilt beach. At the north end, (where my hotel is), there is a small national park, with local food stalls. That area of the beach is very accessible to wheelchair users, where it's possible to wheel right up to the sand. There are no steps or obstructions between my htel and the beach.

The 'lively' section of Nai Yang beach is the middle area, but this is too far to wheel from my hotel, and the pavement there is too broken for wheelchairs, although one can easily wheel along the quiet beach road.

Simon