So What Do The Thai People Think About Us Farangs?

Just finished reading Private Dancer. What an amazing book and Im assuming that even tho its fiction, 99% of the views in the book of whichever character are held by people in real life as well.

But it did however taint my image of how Thai people perceive us.

Do they really think of us as mere water buffalos? Are we just walking ATMs to Thai women? Or just to the bargirls?

I have a swedish friend who has a Thai girlfriend and she says that the farang are "god"? E.g. Thai laundry service wont wash another Thai's underwear but will if its a farang who brings his underwear.

So whats the deal? Do Thai people feel farang are superior, inferior or equal to the Thai people? Do they like us? Do they feel we are intruding on their land and exploiting the fact that Thailand is so cheap compared to our own countries?

Alex

IMO: A Balanced View Point...

Outside of Tourist areas the average Thai has enough other concerns and don’t give a passing thought to foreigners. It would be rather arrogant of us to think otherwise.

In tourist areas the opinion of Thai’s may range somewhere between welcome and respect and valuing our business to tolerating our presence to dislike, all likely to be based on their own individual experiences and that of their friends.

I’d like to imagine that each Thai evaluates me individually on merit and I’m sure that the majority of the time this is the case. There are obviously Thai’s who for whatever reasons have a general dislike for foreigners, conversely there are obviously some Thai’s who have a general like for foreigners.

I can’t really imagine that the thoughts of Thai’s regarding foreigners in Thailand are much different from our own view of foreigners in our home countries.

I would also add, that many may be a little apprehensive and even frightened given the language barrier and shyness – this may exacerbate the negative at times.

I think people are basically the same anywhere in the world; everyone will hold pre-conceived ideas about foreigners, are Thais any different?

As a foreigner, anywhere you will be seen as anything from a free meal, (someone to take advantage off) to someone who could expand your knowledge and understanding of the world.

I think the level of interest and type of interaction with a foreigner is down to lots of things; education and the community you grew up in are just two.

As for Thailand, I am always surprised as to just how genuine and friendly a lot of Thais are, considering the Thais are bombarded by official government departments…..'Thai good….Everyone else bad' attitude.

Edited by Tonto21

Well, working and living here for a long time, having daily contact with locals, some look up to us in awe, they are the simple, low educated people, the working class heroes, middle class can't give a hoot, they are busy loving and portraiing themselves for their very own sake, when itcom es to the Hi-So, it's an entire different story.

As most in high positions are there because due to high amounts of money chnaged hands or due to nepotism, they will ensurethat theforeigner never ever comes anywhere near them, or belittle andbully them in very subtle way's when and where ever possible, just to keep their profile up, no one in the company, even many will notice, will ever, ever lose a word about it, but silently support this behaviour!

Anyone who can find a chance to take advantage over a foreigner, or simply because of his nationality and being "Thai", will do so anytime, without question!

Another point which I found quite disturbing is the attitude "foreigner is rich, has money" most often must pay incredibly inflated prices, in this sense we are the "water buffaloes" YES!

BUT of course there are foreigners who actually seem to be eager to belong into this category and I learned over the many years that in every incoming aircraft will be a couple of replacements for those who got milked!

Edited by Samuian

IMO: A Balanced View Point...

Outside of Tourist areas the average Thai has enough other concerns and don’t give a passing thought to foreigners. It would be rather arrogant of us to think otherwise.

In tourist areas the opinion of Thai’s may range somewhere between welcome and respect and valuing our business to tolerating our presence to dislike, all likely to be based on their own individual experiences and that of their friends.

I’d like to imagine that each Thai evaluates me individually on merit and I’m sure that the majority of the time this is the case. There are obviously Thai’s who for whatever reasons have a general dislike for foreigners, conversely there are obviously some Thai’s who have a general like for foreigners.

I can’t really imagine that the thoughts of Thai’s regarding foreigners in Thailand are much different from our own view of foreigners in our home countries.

I would also add, that many may be a little apprehensive and even frightened given the language barrier and shyness – this may exacerbate the negative at times.

:thumbsup:

Best one I read for a long time.

I wish you could copy paste the exact same and put it in a post in a thread (A farang living in Thailand) in the general topics section as well.

Thank you

:wai:

There is a street that I know of where a couple of hundred of Thai women wait for Farang husbands to find them.

The ladies are from all over Thailand and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. They range in age from 18 to 55 years of age. Some speak two or three other languages in addition to Thai.

Most of the time the ladies drink and eat while waiting to meet a Farang husband. Some have had Farang husbands before and they tutor the less experienced women in waiting.

They have all sorts of different reasons for wanting a Farang husband, some appropriate to mention here and some not as they concern physical attributes.

If the ladies get chosen quickly they seem happy and the marriages seem to last longer. However if the women do not get chosen some ladies get cynical and some get fat some even take part time Thai husbands because they are lonely or something.

In talking to the ladies on the street I have run across all kinds of different attitudes about Farangs.

As many different attitudes as women really with some consistencies. It is rare to meet a woman who says, “I have a house, car and money in the bank and I am looking for love.” Rare but not impossible. Seems TV members snap up those women right away.

I tried running a couple of different personal ads on a Thai networking site. The first ad said, "60 year old Farang seeks wife" I got 23 responses from 22 to 45 year old Thai women in one week. I ran another ad which said, "60 year old Farang seeks free sex." No responses to that one yet.

There is a street that I know of where a couple of hundred of Thai women wait for Farang husbands to find them.

The ladies are from all over Thailand and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. They range in age from 18 to 55 years of age. Some speak two or three other languages in addition to Thai.

Most of the time the ladies drink and eat while waiting to meet a Farang husband. Some have had Farang husbands before and they tutor the less experienced women in waiting.

They have all sorts of different reasons for wanting a Farang husband, some appropriate to mention here and some not as they concern physical attributes.

If the ladies get chosen quickly they seem happy and the marriages seem to last longer. However if the women do not get chosen some ladies get cynical and some get fat some even take part time Thai husbands because they are lonely or something.

In talking to the ladies on the street I have run across all kinds of different attitudes about Farangs.

As many different attitudes as women really with some consistencies. It is rare to meet a woman who says, “I have a house, car and money in the bank and I am looking for love.” Rare but not impossible. Seems TV members snap up those women right away.

I tried running a couple of different personal ads on a Thai networking site. The first ad said, "60 year old Farang seeks wife" I got 23 responses from 22 to 45 year old Thai women in one week. I ran another ad which said, "60 year old Farang seeks free sex." No responses to that one yet.

Would running "60 year old seeks free sex", result in many replies back home?

;)

laugh.giflaugh.gif

;)

I think that was my point. I am not real sure but I think so. At least it may have been my point.

It may also be the point of what Thai people think about Farangs.

If a Thai guy ran a personal ad that said 60 year old Thai guy seeks wife how many Thai women between the ages of 22 and 45 would respond.

I guess I should have run an ad in Thai as a control.

But I didn't, sorry. I think that was my point. I am not real sure but I think so. At least it may have been my point.

If a Thai guy ran a personal ad that said 60 year old Thai guy seeks wife how many Thai women between the ages of 22 and 45 would respond.

But I didn't, sorry.

Kerryk

I see your point with the adds.

I really do.

Just that the one with farang seeks free sex is a bit out there, and the responds, or lack of, is a given.

The intersting one is the one with ladies of all ages reply to a general add for marriage.

spelling

Edited by Travel2003

As many different attitudes as women really with some consistencies. It is rare to meet a woman who says, "I have a house, car and money in the bank and I am looking for love." Rare but not impossible. Seems TV members snap up those women right away.

;)

I think that was my point. I am not real sure but I think so. At least it may have been my point.

But I didn't, sorry. I think that was my point. I am not real sure but I think so. At least it may have been my point.

But I didn't, sorry.

:wacko:

Kerry..have you gone back on the syrup again?

your post is giving me a headache, like having a hangover :lol:

Just that the one with farang seeks free sex is a bit out there

I am pretty sure that if he left out the word "free" he would get a pretty impressive response. :D

I really respect your opinion, you being here so long and all. So I went back and altered the ad.

My favorite response so far is, "what you mean? you mean you want a woman have sex with you right

if you like fatty woman maybe i do."

In tourist areas the opinion of Thai's may range somewhere between welcome and respect and valuing our business to tolerating our presence to dislike, all likely to be based on their own individual experiences and that of their friends.

I'd like to imagine that each Thai evaluates me individually on merit and I'm sure that the majority of the time this is the case. There are obviously Thai's who for whatever reasons have a general dislike for foreigners, conversely there are obviously some Thai's who have a general like for foreigners.

When I was in Europe, I was fortunate to meet many people in Germany, Belgium, France, and The Netherlands. I was consistently told that I was not "like the others." When I asked what that meant, they meant that I was not like other Americans: I took time (hours, even) to talk with them about all sorts of subjects and even expressed a number of my own opinions as well. I feel that, when I am in Thailand, I will not have the rose-colored glasses that many people wear there. I expect differences. I expect various cultural differences. I am learning the language now for my next time there. I will also be real and not like the "Ugly American" at all. I have dealt with various cultures all of my life and have been honored to become an honorary Philipino and Indian! I was not even asked to pay dues to their organizations because of this "lack of expectation" as well as pre-conceived notions about any culture. I learn about each culture and try to do my best and they appreciate it a lot! So, the real answer is how people present themselves to others rather than just gaining some sort of treatment by the culture that they are now in that they simply do not understand and will not strive to learn from it as well. No fantasy here. Just honesty and sincerity and an open mind and heart.

Thanks for taking the time to tell us what a great guy you are. If only all Americans could be just like you - culturally aware with no pre-conceived notions and even your own opinions - the world would be a wonderful place indeed. :P

In case I was not clear enough, this emoticon is meant to imply sarcasm in my most recent post on this thread. :P

Just in case.

:)

Yes I got your sarcasm.

:D

My post was for the one that didnt want to end up as "the ugly American".

I work in the travel industry, and 99% of the traveling Americans I have met around the globe, are decent and good people I could easily have been friends with.

No disrespect to our American friends but you must have met a whole lot of them to find so many good ones. My experience is much more limited and my experiences are very different to yours.

I have met 2 good Americans though to be fair. They are excellent chaps who have a more balanced view of the world compared to their compatriots.:D

I work in the travel industry, and 99% of the traveling Americans I have met around the globe, are decent and good people I could easily have been friends with.

No disrespect to our American friends but you must have met a whole lot of them to find so many good ones. My experience is much more limited and my experiences are very different to yours.

I have met 2 good Americans though to be fair. They are excellent chaps who have a more balanced view of the world compared to their compatriots.:D

Maybe Im lucky.

Or maybe I have that personality.

Or maybe Im just not that picky when befriending people.

Sure, all my friends, and especially myself have flaws, but there is always something else about a person.

In answer to the OP's question I don't think the Thais concern themselves at all with farangs unless they come across them in work or play. I think the average Thai thinks westerners have more money, but that's about it. Ithink they take each of us at face value the same as we take them. I've met many Thais over the years and can't say any have disliked me or treated me poorly. How they perceive other farangs does not concern me. I think if you treat someone well and don't disrespect their culture then you in turn will be accepted with all your faults and miscominings.

But I didn't, sorry.

I am thinking if advert read "60yo Thai person with income of 60,000bht a month for life seeks wife"

You would be having many replies.

Everyone Thai know foreigner has pension from home country.

But for OP

I am thinking, who cares what 'Johnny foreigner' thinks of me (or anyone else).

Edited by OlafStapleton

In my perspective, many Thais view farangs as a moving bank. (LOL)

That was original.

;)

The old ones are the best (with some exceptions).

Many Thais think farang are all fruits.

SC

Wonder how many times I have read on TV where a member talk about the "walking ATM".

Anyhow,

I agree with OlafStapleton.

Even an old Thai would have gotten many replies if he mentioned his good income.

The resources one bring in to the relationshop is among the most important things.

Love and stuff will always come at a later stage anyhow, as long as one is threated good.

Concerning the OP's comment that Thai laundries refuse to clean Thai peoples' underwear, but falang is OK. Is that true? :blink:

I think the average Thai thinks westerners have more money, but that's about it.

Such an assumption is accurate, though. The general westerner in Thailand, be it expat or tourist does have more money than the average or even most Thais.

Why should anyone care what someone else THINKS? Be polite, pay your own way, smile a lot and use your brain to separate the wheat from the chaff. Nothing much matters after that. I see a lot of people on thaivisa who worry too much about what other people think. Who gives a hoot. Pick any one of all the evil people in history and ask yourself would you really care what they thought of you if they were around today?

No, I thought not. It is the same with speculating about what Thais are thinking. Who cares. Mind your own business and you will do okay. Thais work on the principal that if they ask for something then there is always the chance that someone will say yes, but they don't get upset if someone says no. There is nothing wrong with that. It's like the old story about the guy who asks every pretty woman he meets if she will sleep with him. When asked if he gets slapped a lot he replies... "Yes, but many of the women agree to sleep with me"