Hotels In Kho Lak

Am flying to Phuket in late July for a 3 day break and decided as have nevr been before to stay in Kho Lak. Am going with the missus and my question is can anyone reccomend a nice beachfront hotel. I realise it is the low season and it will be quiet but thats not a problem though i dont want a hotel that is to remote as we do like to go out in the evenings for food and maybe a drink. I think well hire a bike for a day or so and explore the national park so any reccs would be appreciated. Also will be gettinga taxi from teh metered office to the right as you come out of the office any idea how much this would cost ?

I have checked on Agoda and there are many good deals to be had just looking to see if tehre any good reccs out there.

Dave

Marriot is VERY remote and rather expensive.

User booking.com and check map and guest reviews to avoid remote hotels.

Myself stayed at Andamania beach resort, next door South of Marriot (500m) and also remote, excellent at 2k/night high season.

Marriott and Meridien are nice but out of town. IMHO the classiest place in town without doubt is the Ramada. Get a beachfront room and the staff will look after you fine. Will probably be pretty soggy in Khao Lak in late July, but it's a neat little town and paradise compared to Phuket.

Check out these reviews:

TripAdvisor

Edited by folium

Marriot is VERY remote and rather expensive.

User booking.com and check map and guest reviews to avoid remote hotels.

Myself stayed at Andamania beach resort, next door South of Marriot (500m) and also remote, excellent at 2k/night high season.

And are you going to Khao Lak to stay in or nearby the town? Perhaps it's better stay in Bangkok. Who cares where is the town in Khao Lak.

I stayed in the Khao Lak Laguna a few weeks ago right at one end of the town, first restaurant//shops about 100m or so from the entrance. Soft sand gently sloping beach. For room close to the beach go for Oriental or Siam.

Maybe a couple of the posters were confused here?

I read where the OP wants a hotel that is not remote, Meridien and Marriott are well out of town, certainly not what the poster is after.

Khao Lak Seaview Resort, OP. You are right on a very nice beach and they have a cut through up to the main road, basically downtown Khao Lak.

I'm guessing on the metered taxi; 2000-2400thb is my guesstimate.

its a very nice place, a Thai friend of mine has some rooms there, The place was rebuilt after the Tsunami, most of it is built for the Scandinavian market, There is not a lot to do but just relax, it is the ideal place to take a family and the mother In law, there where 8 villages before the Tsunami, now there are two.

There are different beaches in Khao Lak, the liveliest are Bang Niang Beach and Nang Tong Beach. At Bang Niang, which is the best for swimming, check out Ramada, Mukdara, La Flora, Sudara, Chong Fah and Ayara, they are all beachfront hotels varying from 3,5 to 5 stars.

For a taxi from Phuket Airport, don't pay more than 1200 Baht, just haggle with the drivers standing around outside. Using the taxi counter in the arrival hall will make it more expensive.

On my website, which you can access through clicking on my "name", there is a lot of general information about Khao Lak, it also contains links to other useful websites.

Edited by keestha

I stayed in the Khao Lak Laguna a few weeks ago right at one end of the town, first restaurant//shops about 100m or so from the entrance. Soft sand gently sloping beach. For room close to the beach go for Oriental or Siam.

Yep, we were at the Laguna recently, and thought it was great. Nice big rooms, great breakfast and excellent value at around 1600 baht on Agoda.

There are different beaches in Khao Lak, the liveliest are Bang Niang Beach and Nang Tong Beach. At Bang Niang, which is the best for swimming, check out Ramada, Mukdara, La Flora, Sudara, Chong Fah and Ayara, they are all beachfront hotels varying from 3,5 to 5 stars.

For a taxi from Phuket Airport, don't pay more than 1200 Baht, just haggle with the drivers standing around outside. Using the taxi counter in the arrival hall will make it more expensive.

On my website, which you can access through clicking on my "name", there is a lot of general information about Khao Lak, it also contains links to other useful websites.

Be careful of the Ayara villas, especially the pool swim up rooms. I stayed in one a couple of years back and could hear every scrape from the room above, sounded like a marching band at times. Manager didnt want to know, personally I wouldnt return.

Be careful of the Ayara villas, especially the pool swim up rooms. I stayed in one a couple of years back and could hear every scrape from the room above, sounded like a marching band at times. Manager didnt want to know, personally I wouldnt return.

Also be careful of the Ramada. If you can get (and afford) one of their beachfront villas, then all's good. However, be aware that their 'seaview' rooms are not. They are pool view, and most are 90 degrees from the sea. Restaurant is ok but very expensive. Beach was very nice (2009).