Open Source Alternatives To Skype.

Wentworth

I've heard of lots of recommendations such as Linphone or Ekiga. However, from what I can tell they are just free when the Caller/Receiver use the same software.

Like many people I use Skype to make cheap landline calls to Europe, but I haven't seen any open source that will allow me to pay for calls.

Linphone works as well on android phones and is free + you can register a free sip account with them.

BUT none of the alternatives can connect with a skype account and I guess that will not change now that microsoft bought skype.

Edited by tomuchrice

I was led to believe that SIP provider didn't have the capability to call landlines, but I'm happy to be corrected. I will continue to use Skype to make calls to other Skype people as I can't see many of them changing. I do however want to use another program, preferably Open Source that Present day Skype users might change to. I would be happy to pay them but basically, I would prefer not to give any of my money to Microsoft.

As DTiger said be more specific, what exactly do you need? As I understand you pay for a service that provides you a service you are happy with, do you want to switch because of the ethics of the company that bought Skype? The technology in place remains the same and the routes will most likely be the same of the previous companies affiliated with Skype. Want free legal calling around the the world supported by a legit open source group to provide that, so do I. If you are willing to put forth time, effort, and money you could set one up yourself, SIP and PBX just make my head hurt with legality.

What are you exactly looking for? There are so many different things around.....

Maybe it's time to have a look here

As DTiger said be more specific, what exactly do you need? As I understand you pay for a service that provides you a service you are py with, do you want to switch because of the ethics of the company that bought Skype? The technology in place remains the same and the routes will most likely be the same of the previous companies affiliated with Skype. Want free legal calling around the the world supported by a legit open source group to provide that, so do I. If you are willing to put forth time, effort, and money you could set one up yourself, SIP and PBX just make my head hurt with legality.

What are you exactly looking for? There are so many different things around.....

Maybe it's time to have a look here,

Basically, I'm ideally looking for Open Source phone services that I can make free calls to others that have the same software installed. I also would like the ability to make paid calls to landlines. I didn't originally mention that it was anything to do with Microsoft, but a subsequent post did mention it. I haven't been able to find an open source alternative to Skype but will look at the recommendations people have suggested. If there aren't any Open Source choices then I'm prepared to try Fring as suggested. What it comes down to is that I prefer not to use Microsoft wherever possible and also it's my feeling that Microsoft will either lag on the Linux support or wind it down, despite what Steve Ballmer of Microsoft has said; they've already dropped support for 'Asterisk'.

Basically, I'm ideally looking for Open Source phone services that I can make free calls to others that have the same software installed. I also would like the ability to make paid calls to landlines. I didn't originally mention that it was anything to do with Microsoft, but a subsequent post did mention it. I haven't been able to find an open source alternative to Skype but will look at the recommendations people have suggested. If there aren't any Open Source choices then I'm prepared to try Fring as suggested. What it comes down to is that I prefer not to use Microsoft wherever possible and also it's my feeling that Microsoft will either lag on the Linux support or wind it down, despite what Steve Ballmer of Microsoft has said; they've already dropped support for 'Asterisk'.

If you want to get real answers, you need to ask yourself the good questions :rolleyes:

There are many, but the first ones could be:

• where will you call from? (country)
  • where will you call to? (mostly Europe, mostly US, Africa, Middle east, Everywhere, only little countries....)
  • How will you call? (Desktop Windows, desktop nix, your own landline, your own mobile, etc)
  • How much will you call?

Each one of these questions give a set of different possible answers, which may combine well or not!

csipsimple if doing it from mobile phone.

You wil need sip provider. Unsure of free ones, but callcentric is good quality and rates.

The software is free, but the sip will most likely not be (and be of good quality). Or it will be limited as so to continue to provide it for free.

• 2 weeks later...

As DTiger said be more specific, what exactly do you need? As I understand you pay for a service that provides you a service you are py with, do you want to switch because of the ethics of the company that bought Skype? The technology in place remains the same and the routes will most likely be the same of the previous companies affiliated with Skype. Want free legal calling around the the world supported by a legit open source group to provide that, so do I. If you are willing to put forth time, effort, and money you could set one up yourself, SIP and PBX just make my head hurt with legality.

Maybe it's time to have a look here,

Blink is one. Originally designed for a Mac, but ported to Windows and Linux as well. Source is GPL'ed

http://www.icanblink.com/

If you don't have a SIP account, you can get one from sip2sip (http://wiki.sip2sip.info/), although the Blink client supports any standard SIP service, so you are free to choose any of them that strike your fancy. For sip2sip.info, SIP to SIP is free, SIP to PSTN requires money. (pricelist is here: https://mdns.sipthor.net/sip_rates.html) Rates are OK unless you do serious volume. Some are better than others.

BTW, there are many, many open source sip clients. Just do a search on "open source sip clients".

Or just look here: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Open+Source+VOIP+Software

I guess like everyone else said, without significantly more constraints, there are just too many options. I laid out 1 solution above, but there are hundreds of variations on that theme. You need to specify your problem better.