Condo Painting

think_too_mut

I don't really want to paint the condo myself, did not know where to place this question, Mods can move it.

The unit above us had a pipe burst, about this time last year, we were not there as we live in Japan. It left stains on the ceiling of our condo, quite noticeable.

While in the condo July and August last year, we complained, the building said they will organize painting of our condo but 2 months later nothing.

We wrote a letter to the building management with pictures, their staff came to look and said they will do it.

Someone told us they might do it but only after they corner the owner whose pipes had caused the damage to pay for it and those pretend to be invisible.

We left the building the keys upon our departure to access the condo and do the work, with some tea money to the officer (1,000B).

When we called 3-4 times since August last year, whoever picked the call did not know whether the condo was painted or not. Good chance it has not.

So, rather than doing it over again, I want to engage professional painters to paint it at my expense. Anyone here doing that or used someone that can be recommended or knows of some company. Thai language not a problem.

Location is Bang Na, condo 66sqm, nothing fancy required, timeframe between mid-July to mid-August, when suitable. It's a brand new condo, I would guess 2 days work.

What material is your ceiling? If it's gypsum board, and if the water damage was bad enough, it may not be just a need to repaint, it may be that new gypsum board needs to be installed.

What material is your ceiling? If it's gypsum board, and if the water damage was bad enough, it may not be just a need to repaint, it may be that new gypsum board needs to be installed.

No idea. In few hours I can post pictures of the damage, if that can be told from there. The ceiling is a bit higher than normal, 2.65m I think and hard to reach and knock to check the sound (and we are not there anyway but will be July 2). When trying to repair the lights (covers were full of water and of course knocked the fuses) I think there was no resonation (as it would be expected if that gypsium board was present above me) from the ceiling, but now that you mentioned that I am not sure.

Indeed, judging by the building slowness and reluctance, I suspect more than simple painting could be involved.

Doesn't look like gypsum, that would have given under the water and fell

down. Also the way the light is mounted on top of the ceiling, instead of

sunk inside, my guess would be that is a concrete slab.

By the looks of it, it would need some serious cleaning first, and than

some decent primer, to make sure the stains not come through again.

Unfortunately I have not seen a decent painter in Pattaya. I am learning

from all the crap all these so called professionals are doing at my place.

I'd suggest to stay away from the expensive farang companies, as they

are typically worth than the thais, educate yourself as what needs to be

done, and than find some cheap thai laborers that will follow your

instructions. A lot more hassle than you want, but in my experience thats

the only way to get it done right.

Good luck,

rudi

Doesn't look like gypsum, that would have given under the water and fell

down. Also the way the light is mounted on top of the ceiling, instead of

sunk inside, my guess would be that is a concrete slab.

By the looks of it, it would need some serious cleaning first, and than

some decent primer, to make sure the stains not come through again.

Unfortunately I have not seen a decent painter in Pattaya. I am learning

from all the crap all these so called professionals are doing at my place.

I'd suggest to stay away from the expensive farang companies, as they

are typically worth than the thais, educate yourself as what needs to be

done, and than find some cheap thai laborers that will follow your

instructions. A lot more hassle than you want, but in my experience thats

the only way to get it done right.

Good luck,

rudi

Thanks, Rudi.

After the call to the building today, they said the first coat of paint has been applied (hope they cleaned up the stains first) but more is to be done. The damage is still visible they said.

The mirrors have to be changed as the sludge had petrified on the walls and mirrors, months in BKK heat with nobody there after the incident (we don't even know when it had happened).

Still, if someone has used some painter that can be recommended, we think it may be handy to know.

• 1 month later...

After the call to the building today, they said the first coat of paint has been applied (hope they cleaned up the stains first) but more is to be done. The damage is still visible they said.

The mirrors have to be changed as the sludge had petrified on the walls and mirrors, months in BKK heat with nobody there after the incident (we don't even know when it had happened).

Still, if someone has used some painter that can be recommended, we think it may be handy to know.

The epilogue: wife is now in BKK and the building has completed all the painting and replaced the mirrors. All done in our absence. Things can function in Thai, albeit with few caveats. Perhaps, they knew we won't be there before July 1 and just delayed it, also made it fresh paint so if not properly done, the stains may resurface...but not before we are gone for another year.

Thanks to all who read and replied.

• 2 weeks later...

In North American, I have had damp areas of mildew on my basement walls due to moisture build up. I don't know if you can find the same kind of paint in Thailand, but first removed the mildew... you can use bleach or vinegar (has a slight acid content in it) to remove the mildew. Let dry for a couple days (try not to shower in the room for a day (due to moisture build up); once the mildew has been clean off, then use a outside primer for the ceiling, then use a regular outside white paint, (semi gloss). I would use outside paint since a bathroom receives a lot of moisture from showering.

I would do the job myself...a lot easier and you know you will not have dried up blotches of paint on the floor or paint dripping all over the place.