Pheu Thai Candidate Faces Police Complaint For Threatening An On-Duty Soldier With A Pistol

webfact

"However, she asked for relevant parties to "play by the rules".

Yes lets play by the rules.....Police should arrest and charge Khun Pairote Issaraseripong for threatening the soldier with a fire arm.

What would have happened if an "ordinary" Thai citizen had done the same thing ?......arrested and up on charges...simple

I am sure that the police will arrest and charge Pairote if there is evidence to prove the allegation. However, all we really have so far is a verbal confrontation together with the army sergeant's statement that Pairote "signalled" that he had a pistol. No one has actually said a firearm was seen.

How do you "signal" that you have a pistol ? Do you point under your jacket to indicate that there is a pistol there ? -- he could be indicating his wallet and offering money . Do you pretend to shoot with your pointed finger ? - as ib " bang, you're dead". Any "signal" is open to the sergeant's interpretation.

There was no allegation or evidence that Pairote said that he had a gun, or displayed a gun. .

Sorry but there seems to be no evidence of a threat with "a fire arm" -- only a senseless confrontation !

And of course not... why would the Reds be looking to raise anything aggressive? They are such a peaceful, intellectual and loving bunch! By God... they truly deserve to run this wayward country!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/458074-thai-govt-wont-be-overthrown-no-coup-military-commanders/page__p__4337973__hl__prayuth__fromsearch__1#entry4337973

<<< Soldiers interfering with campaigning were going to get charged with treason. so much for that promise, and there will be no coup... hahahaha

handing anti crime literature CRAP. they don't interfefere with other parties...

This requires an explanation. Do you mean to suggest that an anti-narcotics team going along it's legal business MUST be interfering with the PTP and that candidate who complained? How on earth did you get to the conclusion?

If we are considering "what on earth" questions.What on earth is the army doing in a anti narcotics exercise in an inland urban area?

The army has a role on the borders tracking drug smugglers etc (ahem, often comrades in arms it has to be said) but what lunacy has them involved within the country itself?

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4337973

<<< Soldiers interfering with campaigning were going to get charged with treason. so much for that promise, and there will be no coup... hahahaha

handing anti crime literature CRAP. they don't interfefere with other parties...

This requires an explanation. Do you mean to suggest that an anti-narcotics team going along it's legal business MUST be interfering with the PTP and that candidate who complained? How on earth did you get to the conclusion?

If we are considering "what on earth" questions.What on earth is the army doing in a anti narcotics exercise in an inland urban area?

The army has a role on the borders tracking drug smugglers etc (ahem, often comrades in arms it has to be said) but what lunacy has them involved within the country itself?

It's Thailand the army here has a few more duties than armies in other countries

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/458074-thai-govt-wont-be-overthrown-no-coup-military-commanders/page__p__4337973__hl__prayuth__fromsearch__1#entry4337973

The anti-narcotics unit falls under the army. It's charged with 'anti-narcotics' activities which may be anywhere in the country. With certain raids, stings, etc. they co-operate with the local police. Drug suppression has been made a higher priority since begin of this year.

You may be right that in other countries like in the West things are differently organized, but that's not really relevant. Thailand may evolve and adjust to be more in line with Western government organisation form and structure, but there no requirement or force to do so.

The anti-narcotics unit falls under the army. It's charged with 'anti-narcotics' activities which may be anywhere in the country. With certain raids, stings, etc. they co-operate with the local police. Drug suppression has been made a higher priority since begin of this year.

You may be right that in other countries like in the West things are differently organized, but that's not really relevant. Thailand may evolve and adjust to be more in line with Western government organisation form and structure, but there no requirement or force to do so.

The fact that the army has an involvement in domestic anti-narcotics activity is sheer lunacy.It makes no sense and no comparable country in Asia does this.

It has nothing to do with what is practiced in the West, the usual rejoinder when some appalling Thai practice is criticised.

The great irony is that the Thai army has a shocking history of being involved in the distribution of hard drugs.

The great irony is that the Thai army has a shocking history of being involved in the distribution of hard drugs.

That the Thai army has allegedly been involved in such trade doesn't necessarily mean that they shouldn't or can't be involved in anti-drug campaigning, just as the Thai traffic police riding around on motorcycles without helmets, on pavements, and on the wrong side of the road, doesn't mean they shouldn't be involved in policing traffic.

The military plays a large role in drug interdiction in many places around the world by many countries, including in SEA. These roles do include intelligence gathering etc. Distributing "questionnaires" seems to be a pretty useless way to utilize them but sending only 2 soldiers into an area can hardly be seen as political interference --- while a candidate using firearms and verbal threats to intimidate them certainly is interference with an official carrying out his duty. Time for the PTP candidate to be red carded and arrested.

The fact that the army has an involvement in domestic anti-narcotics activity is sheer lunacy.It makes no sense and no comparable country in Asia does this.

It has nothing to do with what is practiced in the West, the usual rejoinder when some appalling Thai practice is criticised.

The 'sheer lunacy', 'makes no sense', 'none here does it same' is as irrelevant as how it's done in the West.

As for the army involved, may be, insufficient data. Mind you if all corrupt people and who have condoned, played part in corruption in Thailand should be incarcerated, I'm afraid the streets would be nearly empty and almost no one left to vote on the 3rd next month.

What difference does it make who is policing the drug trade? In the case of Thailand, it's been assigned to the army.

I am sure the police have their fair share of involvement in drug distribution and other crimes. Does that mean that they shouldn't be involved in the policing of those things?

Whatever the color was, no one has the right to harass two solders handing out anti-drug information, there is only one Thailand and like it or not. The government and the Army has free access to all parts of the country.

Cheers :rolleyes:

The great irony for me is that I read of huge drug busts being made almost everyday now and hundreds and thousands of Thai citizens aren't getting slaughtered to accomplish it. Yet people still find reasons to make strenuous objections.

Quote: 'The red shirts regard themselves as supporters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra - Yingluck's brother - who is believed to be pulling the strings behind Pheu Thai."

This is a joke, isn't it?

The great irony for me is that I read of huge drug busts being made almost everyday now and hundreds and thousands of Thai citizens aren't getting slaughtered to accomplish it. Yet people still find reasons to make strenuous objections.

With reference to the huge drugs busts you mentioned, aren't they being carried out by the Thai police? Post me a story regarding the Thai army making arrests during drugs busts inside the national border areas of the country, and I'll have learned something new.

Edited by hanuman1

With reference to the huge drugs busts you mentioned, aren't they being carried out by the Thai police? Post me a story regarding the Thai army making arrests during drugs busts inside the national border areas of the country, and I'll have learned something new.

The thing about hundreds of thousands being slaughtered is an exaggeration which even if couched in any kind of realistic terms, would still be hyperbole of the type that does a reasonable debate no good at all.

My point is that the current antidrug offensive, with Police and Army each playing a role seems to be gaining results. You may want to read my post again, I did not say hundreds of thousands. If anything I played the previous extrajudicial massacre down.

Isn't it biased to

- state as 'given' k. Sansern isn't exactly the most credible guy'

- link in ISOC whereas this is about the anti-narcotics unit

- suggest in a remote corner of Thailand drug suppression is ok, but not Bangkok where PTP asked to stop anti-narcotic actions for the moment

- give another link to ISOC which is not involved

The removed part is about the 2007 situation which has nothing to do with the incident discussed in the OP, that is assuming you want to try to be unbiased ;)

You and Mick could google 'ISOC launches anti-drugs task force' for more details. Can't link because it's BP.

The links I gave are merely to show that the army hasn't exactly been neutral during election time in the recent past, so perhaps it's best to cool it on the anti-drugs 'education' in predominantly red areas until after the election, even if they were only doing their legitimate duty - I'm not saying they weren't. But it seems provocative and likely to cause a flare-up.

Isn't it biased to

- state as 'given' k. Sansern isn't exactly the most credible guy'

- link in ISOC whereas this is about the anti-narcotics unit

- suggest in a remote corner of Thailand drug suppression is ok, but not Bangkok where PTP asked to stop anti-narcotic actions for the moment

- give another link to ISOC which is not involved

The removed part is about the 2007 situation which has nothing to do with the incident discussed in the OP, that is assuming you want to try to be unbiased ;)

You and Mick could google 'ISOC launches anti-drugs task force' for more details. Can't link because it's BP.

The links I gave are merely to show that the army hasn't exactly been neutral during election time in the recent past, so perhaps it's best to cool it on the anti-drugs 'education' in predominantly red areas until after the election, even if they were only doing their legitimate duty - I'm not saying they weren't. But it seems provocative and likely to cause a flare-up.

OMG, I was wrong ? Follow this topic starting 2011-05-26"

"Drug use spreads in Thailand's central provinces: Police"

While at it you might also want to read some from 2008 with amongst others

"New Anti-Drug Offensive Launched by Somchai Government"

http://www.csdp.org/news/news/thailand.htm

The thing about hundreds of thousands being slaughtered is an exaggeration which even if couched in any kind of realistic terms, would still be hyperbole of the type that does a reasonable debate no good at all.

My point is that the current antidrug offensive, with Police and Army each playing a role seems to be gaining results. You may want to read my post again, I did not say hundreds of thousands. If anything I played the previous extrajudicial massacre down.

Yes, I misread a word in your post and have amended my original post accordingly. I'm just wondering why the army has to have a role at all. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the police are seen by the powers that be as corrupt enough to not be able to do the job themselves. but if that were true, it would suggest that the army are less corrupt, and that is a conclusion that I dare say is as open to debate as the police not being corrupt. It just doesn't seem to make sense.

Or are the war weapons used by the army deemed to be the advantage required in tackling the drugs problem? That seems as unlikely as saying that the army are less corrupt than the police. Then again maybe they are to the extent that lower ranks are less likely to engage in extortion and petty criminality then those of the police. Do you think this is the case? If not, why do you think the army is involved in dealing with the drugs problem? I know your opinion, like mine, would be speculation, but nevertheless you appear to accept the army's role in this so as a matter of reasoning, maybe you can help me out here by saying why you accept that the army's role in this kind of operation is acceptable/reasonable/effective?

Yes, I misread a word in your post and have amended my original post accordingly. I'm just wondering why the army has to have a role at all. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the police are seen by the powers that be as corrupt enough to not be able to do the job themselves. but if that were true, it would suggest that the army are less corrupt, and that is a conclusion that I dare say is as open to debate as the police not being corrupt. It just doesn't seem to make sense.

Or are the war weapons used by the army deemed to be the advantage required in tackling the drugs problem? That seems as unlikely as saying that the army are less corrupt than the police. Then again maybe they are to the extent that lower ranks are less likely to engage in extortion and petty criminality then those of the police. Do you think this is the case? If not, why do you think the army is involved in dealing with the drugs problem? I know your opinion, like mine, would be speculation, but nevertheless you appear to accept the army's role in this so as a matter of reasoning, maybe you can help me out here by saying why you accept that the army's role in this kind of operation is acceptable/reasonable/effective?

I would not know and could not say if either force is more or less corrupt than the other. What I would say is that Thailand seems to do best when there an array of interests in tension with each other so that no particular group gains too much power. That MAY have been the rationale here I don't know.

It's hard to believe that the decision to channel public money into the army's effort to control the drugs problem hasn't been justified or at least explained by the authorities somewhere along the line. Does anyone know the actual reason why they are engaged in these activities? Surely there must have been at least a press release or something. Or is the Thai population just expected to accept such decisions without any reasons given? Would you accept your government enacting measures for which they give no reason? It doesn't make any sense. Anybody have a link?

Good example of the kind of Pit Bull types who represent the people of Thailand. He must have had some interesting choices earlier in his career ... Drug Dealer, Gangster, Crooked Money Lender, Village Chief, Hit Man, yes combine them all together and hey presto you have the perfect Candidate for the very gullible country folks.

I have come across this type before.. no hesitation to pull the gun out when in a restaurant with his gang of morons if anyone looks at them the wrong way,

These types belong in jail allong with all the other scum of society. :jap:

Good example of the kind of Pit Bull types who represent the people of Thailand. He must have had some interesting choices earlier in his career ... Drug Dealer, Gangster, Crooked Money Lender, Village Chief, Hit Man, yes combine them all together and hey presto you have the perfect Candidate for the very gullible country folks.

I have come across this type before.. no hesitation to pull the gun out when in a restaurant with his gang of morons if anyone looks at them the wrong way,

These types belong in jail allong with all the other scum of society. :jap:

I agree. Instead of being locked up they get voted in to run the country.

Chalerm's Son To Contest For A House Seat