Superstitions About Building A House

Yager

I will tell what has worked for me in the past and continues to work well. They probably assume you are a Christian, whether you are or not. Tell them in your Religion, lucky houses cannot be built in an odd number year (2011)This also works well for lucky Christian days of the month ETC. My wife is aware of my bending of the truth and is usually amused. Use your imagination. Make it up as you go.

I'm am going to try this out on my girlfriend, just for a laugh and see how long it takes her to bite! She knows me now only too well now. :D

You are going to try this on your girlfriend, just for a laugh, really !!! please let me know how it goes.:rolleyes:

Really, you want to know how it all go's, blow by blow.You can't be that bored, can you?

I think I may have touched a nerve with my last post on this topic…..Nothing personal, it won't leave a mark, I'm sure.

Don't worry, you'll get your turn, I've no doubt……..But not with this, your pants reply! Laters!!

Edited by Tonto21

This is a joke, right?

+1 :lol: apparently not by some of the replies, unbelievable.:rolleyes:

Guys, do you both think you are the only ones to see the likely hood of this topic being BS, you know the fact is; some 'troll' topics raise interesting aspects to living in Thailand. There are many a troll topic that will rate high in the replies…Whyis that? Is it because other TV'ers just don't have your cutting edge in-sight, or a finger on the pulse of life? No, it's because whether the topic is 'troll' or not, sometime, questions are raised that beg answers.

Sometimes, people overlook the blatant 'troll' post, to answer a genuine issue in Thailand, and anyway, how often do the replies stay on topic, more than not, the discussion find its own level though the replies.

But thanks for the head-up guys, please keep us posted. :rolleyes:

Regardless of if it is real or not I simply don't know how people put up with having such utter nonsense impinge upon their lives. If a vicar in their own country told them the same, how much value would they give his opinion?

Bit of clarity here please 'Richb', (not claret) it would seem too much of that may have been qwaft already. You pin you statement to a small hand bag fight, about 'trolling' (of which you have a hand in) and start going on about; 'utter nonsense impinging on lives' I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude….I genuinely don't understand what you're driving at.

Edited by Tonto21

Thanks everyone for the responses. In fairness to my wife she is working part time as a waitress and trying to save up for it. It just isn't fast enough. I *think* the parents like me but I don't speak Thai so we aren't as close as I wish we were. That makes it difficult to decypher what kind of pressure is coming from the parents and what is coming from her. I don't think it's a joke, I mean the parent probably believe it. I asked her if that meant all of Thailand couldn't build houses the next four years? She said no, just in her parents area haha. Anyway someone here mentioned a "loophole". I did talk to her and it seems we might be ok if we start building the house this year. Then can finish it over the next few years. Thanks for that suggestion!

It feels like a form of extortion.

Of course you know you are going to get the Thai apologist turning up and telling you, you dont understand Thai culture...you have to pay this money or forever loose "face" and all the normal <deleted>...dont buy into it

As mentioned previously...if the outlaws are so adamant about starting "NOW"....tell them to go and get a mortgage

I asked if the parents could get a loan, she said the bank would never give them a big enough loan. Max maybe $2000. I don't think they've ever had a line of credit before and don't use debit/credit cards.

Clearly you have no choice, you must act swiftly and take the following steps before you mess up your only chance at true love:

1) Empty all your banks accounts

2) Borrows as much money as you can from all your friends and family back home and then tell them to "f* off; you will never pay it back"

3) Sell 1 kidney on the black market

4) Apply for as many credit cards as possible.

And finally take all the money and pay it to your "brother in-law" (you know that bloke who watches over your wife and house while you're away) to build a mansion in a rice paddy where you, your wife, and your in-law will live happily ever after.

Bit of clarity here please 'Richb', (not claret) it would seem too much of that may have been qwaft already. You pin you statement to a small hand bag fight, about 'trolling' (of which you have a hand in) and start going on about; 'utter nonsense impinging on lives' I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude….I genuinely don't understand what you're driving at.

I don't think the OP is a troll post, I think he's looking for advice. Although I'm not exactly clear what a troll post is exactly. I don't think I'm guilty of trolling either, if I understand it.

I was driving at the absurd nature of someone taking serious advice from men simply because they adorn themselves in orange robes. What's difficult to understand. It seems to me to be complete nonsense, and in this instance the OP is allowing it to effect/impinge upon his life, and affect his decisions. Fairly clear I think, claret or no claret.

This is a Thai tradition known as farang asset extraction. Currently they are running a test to find out what sort of maximum yield they might expect.

This is midway on the long con. It is assumed that this subject has passed the preliminary tests, usually in the form of gold jewelry, motorcycles, and bailouts to relatives in crisis. The final phase is mop up and completion, which is a lot less enjoyable.

It feels like a form of extortion.

Of course you know you are going to get the Thai apologist turning up and telling you, you dont understand Thai culture...you have to pay this money or forever loose "face" and all the normal <deleted>...dont buy into it

As mentioned previously...if the outlaws are so adamant about starting "NOW"....tell them to go and get a mortgage

I asked if the parents could get a loan, she said the bank would never give them a big enough loan. Max maybe $2000. I don't think they've ever had a line of credit before and don't use debit/credit cards.

Have they even tried to get a mortgage or are the numbers just being pulled out their bottoms...having a credit card has nothing to do with it.....do the outlaws have a car ?......if so how was this paid for ?

Yager,

I am reading a lot of jokes that actually won't help you out.

It is really true that real Isan people strongly believe that building a housein the next coming 4 years will bring them bad luck. Don't under-estimate thepower of superstition whether you like it or not.

I have been told the next year is the year of the galong which means coffin. Peoplehere are building houses like hell! I wanted to buy some 400 bricks for makinga wall but the showrooms simple cannot cope with the hugh demand on bricks at themoment!. I am living here now 4 years amongst real poor Isan farmers so myjudgement is genuine.

My wife and I also want to build a sort of a garden house as a second domicile. I would prefer to postpone this to next year but my wife also strongly believe in the above. As an alternative I can put up the pillars (the up-right posts) and the cement foundation which is not expensive and then continue the building step by step lateron next year. This would not cause problems as I understand it.

Hope I have helped you abit. Good luck and regards

If you don't have the cash right now then say so and let the chips fall where they may.

I do not understand why so many expats even consider much less give in to request for large sums of money.

My wife's parents were dirt poor rice farmers and they never asked for money but we did help out by sending 100 USD every three months. My wife thought it was the responsibility of all her brothers and sisters to help take care of parents and she made sure they paid their share.

After reading this topic and many others which have a similar requests on TV, from farang partners, I have come to the conclusion that the implementation of the 'Stockholm Syndrome' has been perfected by many of the Thai lassies.

It is really true that real Isan people strongly believe that building a housein the next coming 4 years will bring them bad luck. Don't under-estimate thepower of superstition whether you like it or not.

I have been told the next year is the year of the galong which means coffin.

"It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house. ~Proverbs 21:9"

It is true Christians are a superstitious lot as well. So what? Why argue superstition with logic? Use Christianity, be creative you may find that Christianity trumps local sooth sayers. I couldn't agree more, about the power of superstition.

"Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."

Perhaps a Thai translation of the Bible would come in handy right about now . . . . . . .

I am not suggesting I agree with the above Biblical quote, only that it puts things in perspective.

This is a Thai tradition known as farang asset extraction. Currently they are running a test to find out what sort of maximum yield they might expect.

This is midway on the long con. It is assumed that this subject has passed the preliminary tests, usually in the form of gold jewelry, motorcycles, and bailouts to relatives in crisis. The final phase is mop up and completion, which is a lot less enjoyable.

I completely agree: here Farangs = a fat cow to milk as much as poss, but the other side of the equation is also what kind of value is their daughter for her Thai parents;

Is she young ? v pretty ?

Is he old ? rich?

Well we took advice from a monk, as to which was the best day, to hold our marriage-ceremony, so I guess this isn't totally a wind-up.

Perhaps the OP should point-out that, since he can't afford even a basic-house this year, and the next 4 years would be unlucky, his wife/parents should plan on him being able to afford a better house to-be-built in 2016 ? :rolleyes:

After reading this topic and many others which have a similar requests on TV, from farang partners, I have come to the conclusion that the implementation of the 'Stockholm Syndrome' has been perfected by many of the Thai lassies.

Amazing how basic sensibilities get discarded.

Would you buy western inlaws a home even if you couldn't afford it?

Thanks everyone for the responses. In fairness to my wife she is working part time as a waitress and trying to save up for it. It just isn't fast enough. I *think* the parents like me but I don't speak Thai so we aren't as close as I wish we were. That makes it difficult to decypher what kind of pressure is coming from the parents and what is coming from her. I don't think it's a joke, I mean the parent probably believe it. I asked her if that meant all of Thailand couldn't build houses the next four years? She said no, just in her parents area haha. Anyway someone here mentioned a "loophole". I did talk to her and it seems we might be ok if we start building the house this year. Then can finish it over the next few years. Thanks for that suggestion!

OMG he's going to pay!!

This my friends is why so many get conned by their thieving Thai wifes.

It's because idiots like this guy will throw all their money at their scamming Thai wifes and then all the c*** struck idiots that follow are expected to do the same thing!

Unbelievable! :bah:

OMG he's going to pay!!

This my friends is why so many get conned by their thieving Thai wifes.

It's because idiots like this guy will throw all their money at their scamming Thai wifes and then all the c*** struck idiots that follow are expected to do the same thing!

Unbelievable! :bah:

+1

I will tell what has worked for me in the past and continues to work well. They probably assume you are a Christian, whether you are or not. Tell them in your Religion, lucky houses cannot be built in an odd number year (2011)This also works well for lucky Christian days of the month ETC. My wife is aware of my bending of the truth and is usually amused. Use your imagination. Make it up as you go.

I'm am going to try this out on my girlfriend, just for a laugh and see how long it takes her to bite! She knows me now only too well now. :D

WOW a whole 6 month postponement................falang so clever dohhhhhhhhh!!!

Yager,

I am reading a lot of jokes that actually won't help you out.

I have been told the next year is the year of the galong which means coffin. Peoplehere are building houses like hell! I wanted to buy some 400 bricks for makinga wall but the showrooms simple cannot cope with the hugh demand on bricks at themoment!. I am living here now 4 years amongst real poor Isan farmers so myjudgement is genuine.

My wife and I also want to build a sort of a garden house as a second domicile. I would prefer to postpone this to next year but my wife also strongly believe in the above. As an alternative I can put up the pillars (the up-right posts) and the cement foundation which is not expensive and then continue the building step by step lateron next year. This would not cause problems as I understand it.

Hope I have helped you abit. Good luck and regards

4 YEARS and first post may you both enjoy " :lol: eating grass"