Police Check Points Along Rama 4 Area Near Carrefour And Tesco Lotus.

elshaheen

For the past few Saturday nights, after finishing up my classes in Silom area. I usually get a taxi to go home late at night. Right before the taxi gets to Carrefour and Tesco Lotus on Rama 4. The police officer motions the taxi driver to pull over. A police officer asks only me and American Citizen with a valid passport from the U.S. to step out of the car and open my shoulder bag. They search my bags, only to find a laptop computer, and a notebook, plus some markers and text books for my students. They go through my wallet.

There has to be a way to tell the Police officer, “No you do not have the right to search me or my stuff.”

I ask, what about the Taxi driver, they don’t answer. Taxi’s are stopped and most of them are taking people to their final destinations after work, or pub or where ever. They perform a full search on them, looking for whatever. Next the taxi drivers are never asked to step and have to undergo the search. I mean, if police are really look for drugs, or any other contraband, then why not they search the drivers?

Who knows what the police are looking for?

And how certain are you that they don't have the right to stop and search you?

What would you be seeking to gain from an argument? Anecdotally, the best I have heard that they'll give you is a hard time or a good kicking, either of which I can easily get elsewhere.

SC

What would you be seeking to gain from an argument? Anecdotally, the best I have heard that they'll give you is a hard time or a good kicking, either of which I can easily get elsewhere.

SC

I was waiting for the line in the OP post which started " In the US/UK......."....:whistling:

Of course they have a right to stop and search you...they have guns....:rolleyes:

The BIB here are a bit more relaxed about things than the facist bully boys in the US or UK....

SC

What a strange reply.

The police search you because you are a foreigner,you may have contraband, and they are reasonably certain there will be no backlash.

Of course it is illegal for them to search you with out a warrant or probable cause; they would not dare search a hi-so Thai because they would be held accountable.

Poor Thais and foreigners are prime targets though.

[course they have a right to stop and search you...they have guns....:rolleyes:

The BIB here are a bit more relaxed about things than the facist bully boys in the US or UK....

Don't make me laugh , the UK police are among the best in the world , at least they have numbers on there shoulders so you can identify them. and they don't kick and shoot you first , i have never had any thing done against me by any police anywhere, but those who live buy the sword die by it,

SC

What a strange reply.

The police search you because you are a foreigner,you may have contraband, and they are reasonably certain there will be no backlash.

Of course it is illegal for them to search you with out a warrant or probable cause; they would not dare search a hi-so Thai because they would be held accountable.

Yes, I agree to a certain extent. Yet, they don't even search the Thai driver; don't even ask him for his ID. Who is more perceived guilty, a Thai or a Foreigner.

When the police do their raids in Pattaya, they don’t mess with the foreigners just the Thai.

I lived in that area for a couple of years, moved a year or so back. For a long time those checkpoints were there because of the ongoing (never-ending) war between the tenants of the Khlong Toei Market and the new owners/Port Authority. There had been shootings between them and beatings and mob violence and such. Sometimes they were there to stop the motorcycle gangs from racing from 1AM to 4AM every Friday and Saturday (ugh). I never once got stopped as a farang for anything coming home at all hours all the time. Not sure what they're on about there, since it's not exactly a highly trafficked farang area, but that's interesting. Maybe they think you're the "farang sniper" lol.

Edited by on-on

Don't make me laugh , the UK police are among the best in the world , at least they have numbers on there shoulders so you can identify them. and they don't kick and shoot you first ,

What about the SPG ?.....:whistling:

Disbanded in 1987, due to controversy on that very topic, and lack of accountability, as I recall.

With rugby union turning professional, most of the real thugs seem to have left the Met...

SC

Don't make me laugh , the UK police are among the best in the world , at least they have numbers on there shoulders so you can identify them. and they don't kick and shoot you first ,

What about the SPG ?.....:whistling:

Disbanded in 1987, due to controversy on that very topic, and lack of accountability, as I recall.

With rugby union turning professional, most of the real thugs seem to have left the Met...

SC

;) ....I still remember the "Not the nine o'clock news" skit to this day.... along with "Gerald the Gorilla"....:lol:

Edited by Soutpeel

SC

What a strange reply.

Yes, I agree to a certain extent. Yet, they don't even search the Thai driver; don't even ask him for his ID. Who is more perceived guilty, a Thai or a Foreigner.

When the police do their raids in Pattaya, they don’t mess with the foreigners just the Thai.

I think your western upbringing is in the way here; Thai police don't act based on "guilt" or "innocence" whether actual or perceived.

Do you really think they would waste their time on a taxi driver, raising a family on 400 baht per day?

Do you really think they would waste their time on a taxi driver, raising a family on 400 baht per day?

If this was the case, then you wouldnt be searching "English teachers" or a lot of OAP's either...:whistling:

Reminds me of a time I was asked to take a bunch of visitors to Patpong for a 'show'. The (not so) lovely lasses came up and asked what I did for a living. 'Kha ratchakarn' (public servant) was my answer and they left me well alone after that.

Perhaps the OP should try this trick.

This is my area as well, probably twice a month I get 'the frisk'. Yes, always a Sat. Whether related or not, there has been a huge increase in the amount of Russian and Middle eastern residents around this area in the monthly mansions. From my window I can see them dealing. The cops have even gone as far as to try an apt. search on a friend a few doors up, insisting the seizure of his USB stick?! Anyway, that event went away, when nothing was out of order.

If I ever get pulled over, I never let them touch me. Stick your hands in your pockets empty them on the footpath "What you want to look at?" smile, open it for them..."what else?".. whether they have the right or not, no one is planting anything on me.

Oz

If this was the case, then you wouldnt be searching "English teachers" or a lot of OAP's either...:whistling:

Wouldn't say that; there is always someone to cry home to who can send money (wouldn't want their son locked up in Thailand) and the coppers know this; they may be corrupt but not as stupid as you may think ;)

yups, just co- operate. Things end faster and sooner when we just empty everything for them. Furthermore, by co-operating, it gives them less chance or no cause to " plant" something in/on you. Anyway, they would rather be back in their aircon station rather than doing road block on a saturday night. Unlike the traffic police who gets % of the tickets they issue, regular cops earn only when they do catch someone so, why offend them and let them earn from your innocence?

This is my area as well, probably twice a month I get 'the frisk'. Yes, always a Sat. Whether related or not, there has been a huge increase in the amount of Russian and Middle eastern residents around this area in the monthly mansions. From my window I can see them dealing. The cops have even gone as far as to try an apt. search on a friend a few doors up, insisting the seizure of his USB stick?! Anyway, that event went away, when nothing was out of order.

If I ever get pulled over, I never let them touch me. Stick your hands in your pockets empty them on the footpath "What you want to look at?" smile, open it for them..."what else?".. whether they have the right or not, no one is planting anything on me.

Oz

What about the SPG ?.....

Disbanded in 1987,

But were they not simply rebranded / replaced by the Territorial Support Group at the same time?

A mate of mine used to call the TSG the "Thick and Stupid Group", he was actually a Chief Inspector with the TSG at the time, and I'm sure he used to say it in jest.