Ground Cover

canopy

Any suggestions on a ground cover to prevent erosion on slopes? I have a shrub in mind already. My interest is to find something to complement the shrubs that stays somewhat low to the ground and does not need trimming, provides good coverage, and stays green year round without extra watering. For example, might rosemary work? Others?

My experience with rosemary is that it becomes immediately bush-like growing up vertically and becoming a bush with woody base and soft new growth but definitely not a creeper. A nasty one that likes to creep and has a very invasive root structure and new sprouts from horizontal growth is mint (since you suggested a spice with the rosemary). FF

Yes, edible ground cover is a plus though not required. Good point about invasive type plants and I would not want that. It would be good to keep things contained to simple borders without too much trouble.

FOREVER FORD, NOT TRUE (sorry about caps) about rosemary. our kibbutz is covered all over with crawling rosemary... because of our stringant- and becoming more so - water saving requirements (lack of water, high cost of water for agriculture and therefore almost no water for home use in gardening)... im surprised that rosemary can grow in thailand though as it likes a mediterranean weather and soil (jeruslaem is high, dry, cold /rain in winter, dry and hot in summer) a bit like zone 9 temps in the usa. we are before the water line at the start of the judean desert but rosemary does well with very little water in the desert areas also.

mint is not good. it needs lots of water, and does not like full sun. however, lots of other herb types like thyme, there are some crawling types that u can even step on.

im actually a pelargonium/geranium fan... we use several types as ground cover but dont know for thailand if they would grow well as they need drought and then rain to get flowers, otherwise they just spread and stay green w/o the flowering..

there is some thai plant that is , i think, water cress that spreads with runners.. we have some that a thai worker gave me, its by the outlet of the 'grey' water of our washing machine. it is edible, spreads all over, and as far as i can see, walk on it (lightly) and it lasts... (babook) (not bamboo)... will try to take pics and up load but having such computer issues...

bina

israel

Have you considered Perennial Peanut? Grows well in Thailand, is drought resistant, will last for years, you can walk on it, and it has a pretty little flower. When all the flowers are blooming, it is a very very pretty sight. Another name is Brazil Nut. It does not put anything in the ground but since it does resemble the peanut plant, maybe it got the peanut name from that. The only edible part is the yellow flower. ถั่วลิสงเถา and ถั่วบราซิล are the two Thai names that I know of.

I agree with troysantos,

Perennial Peanut

As I read down through the thread I was thinking point for point that it matches

It is used as a landscape ground cover in front of a lot of government buildings and hotels.

It looks like a Peanut, but never gets tall, never matures and dies, just keeps its small place.

It's very tasty to animals, so you will have to limit access, they will eat it all.

It doesn't spread well, you have to pull some from here to cover over there.

I think the plant that bina refers to is a member of genus Ipomoea

In the US it's called Morning Glory, a problematic field weed.

If we had time to recognize it, it's great feed,

but it's strictly in the way of serious farming.

It's called Pak Boong as the field variety, Water Convulvus it says on the seed package

There are several varieties that I've seen.

1. The ground crawling one bina refers to

2. The pond spreading one Ipomea aquatica

3. Pak Boong The field domesticated nice one that grows around 0.50m tall

All three of these are highly palatable to animals. Everything loves it, pigs, goats, geese

People of course as well.

The ground crawling one is very drought hardy, will survive doing nothing waiting for a bit of rain.

One note that I found interesting...it is related to Sweet Potato, Ipomea batatas

After I saw the name, I then saw the relation, never would have connected the two on my own.

Perennial peanut sounds promising. Can the plant stay green through the dry time of year without watering? There are wild rabbits, pigs and small deer (เก้ง) around to name a few. Limiting access will be impractical, but I wouldn't mind if what gets eaten is manageable. Hunting anything that moves is rampant so the presence of such animals stays quite limited.

Perennial peanut sounds promising. Can the plant stay green through the dry time of year without watering? There are wild rabbits, pigs and small deer (เก้ง) around to name a few. Limiting access will be impractical, but I wouldn't mind if what gets eaten is manageable. Hunting anything that moves is rampant so the presence of such animals stays quite limited.

I doubt it will stay green without watering. I saw the plant in Nicaragua on a farm during dry season. It was pretty wilted and withered but was far from dying off. After a bit of watering it came back looking good. There were ducks and chickens there so I guess they were eating it though I never noticed them eating it. And, I doubt that any animal will eat so much that it will all die off, even during dry season without watering.

It's expensive. I've heard that it sells for 5 baht per bag, with ONE! sprig per bag. I'm sure it's for sale by the kilo or by the handful or some other, cheaper way than 5 baht per sprig. And, I don't know where to buy it.

I just searched "Perennial Peanut Florida" on Google and found several that looked interesting. I didn't open any of them, but just looking at the briefs, I saw some interesting looking sites.

I'm interested to know if you decide on this, and how it goes for you. Please make a post if you decide on this. Or, if you decide on something else, I'm interested to know what you decide on, and how that goes for you.

Think the OP needed something to prevent erosion??? Perhaps something with a better root system would be advantageous. Our farm is terraced and the natural grasses tend to hold it together...I think if it was a garden environment I would tier it and make a rock garden or possibly sink a few pots of bougainvillea/or any shrub with a good root system into the stepped slope. There are probably veggies that fit this scenario also...just a thought..?