Stupid Farang Without Any Mechanical Skill Who Like To Learn To Repair Motorcycle And Bike Tires

connda

Stupid Farang without any Mechanical Skills at all would like to learn to repair my own motorcycle and bicycle tires.

OK, let's set the stage. I like riding my motorcycle. However, I've gotten lucky to date. I average one flat tire every 2500 kilometers that I drive. I fill my tires regularly, and look for obvious damage. No good. Every 25KM -- Bang! Flat. So far so good. The worst case was a blowout about 25 North of Mai Rim on a Rental bike. Found the owners card and then discovered I left my freaking phone at home. Turned the bike about for a long trek back to Mai Rim -- but suddenly like an angel from heaven -- I hear, "Hey You!" Luck would have it that I blew out right across the street of a guy who repaired tires. Worst case scenario, I drove from Korat to Dan Kwian. Had to walk 2 kilometers back to a tire repair dude. And since then I've been lucky enough to always blow out in the city.

But that also means that I am deathly afraid of taking by Honda Dream more than a few kilometers away from town. And driving is one of the few thing I really find joy in doing. SO – I've got to buy the minimal tools to replace an inner tube and inflate it.

So first off, 90% of the flats have be rear wheel. Good and bad. Good because I have more control over the bike to slow down, bad because I have to deal with chains and gears and stuff and don't understand. I obviously need a set of wrenches, pump, new inner tube (I'm not attempting to fix the old one, may lesson 2), valve stem remover, maybe an extra valve stem, and a couple Thingamajigs to get the tire off and back on, and what ever else my stupidity is forgetting.

And next, I need mechanic with a lot of patience, and at least minimal English speaking skills (to match my minimal Thai speaking skills) to help me do this over and over and over until I'm confident that I can do this with proficiency when stuck out in the middle-of-nowhere if needed. So, does anyone know someone in Chiang Mai (downtown area) who can take a day and help me. I live off of Kampandaeng (กำแพพงดิน) near the AIS building. I also have an mountain bike with the same issue.

But if I'm driving long distances I gotta be able to fix my own tires or I'm in a world of hurt. But I hate this freaking mountain bike, and I wish I had my old 27 in Schwin 10 speed that that I had to leave in the USA -- That Bike was as reliable as an Buffalo.

Now with that all said, the obvious answer would be to get a "Big Bike" with Tubeless Tires which are a heck of a lot more reliable. But, every time I have the money to buy one, my wife's sixth sense kicks into gear and she determines that our extra money needs to go to some other project. and I'm getting dam_n tired of it. I told her, that as soon as I've saved the money - again -- the next purchase is mine.

I digress. I need someone who can help me for about a day to teach me to install front and rear inner tubes on my Honda Dream, and to help my repair front and rear flats on my mountain bike. I'd be willing to pay a Thai person about $500 baht for 3 or 4 hours of work of if we can get it done in less time, still $500 baht. I'd be willing to paid a Farang in beer and camaraderie and maybe a bike ride together. I need to find friends with common interests -- I'm going crazy since I retired.

If anyone can help -- I'd be much, much obliged!!! Thanks much in advance!

Edited by connda

Always try to buy a good quality tire IRC brand for a honda dream and always try to park out of the sun since i have been doing this i have not had a flat tire in almost 10000 km and i drive to mae rim everyday then to hang dong in the afternoon.I do have a mechanic work for me but he's english is non existent i'm afraid sorry i can't be of more help.My wife has also trying to put me off in buying a bigger bike but i am getting my wish next month as i am doing a lot more km's this year.

buy good quality tires and tubes. Add sealant to the tube to preemptively fill small holes.

Carry a few cans of repair sealant to add more sealant and raise pressure so you can ride to a shop and get a more durable repair.

Buy extra tubes, tire levers, patch kit, pump and wrench to loosen the axel. Even if you can't do the repair yourself right away then you have the ingredients to get it done and many Thai men can do that if they have the tools and parts.

To reduce the chance of punctures, keep the tyres to the correct pressure and periodically check them for inbedded bits of glass and metal.

ALso, might be worth going to a garage and striking a deal with a mechanic there to teach you.

If you do not speak Thai then have someone write down the phonetic transliteration for "fix my tire" in Thai. If you do not read Thai then have someone write down in large block letters in Thai "Tire Repair" as seen on small signs everywhere and try to recognize those signs. There is scarcely a village in Thailand that does not have someone who can fix a flat and in any town you are rarely more than 500 meters away from a repair shop. And if you are in a more remote stretch of highway, just be patient as some local will come by in a pickup truck and take you and your flat ( and the bike) to the nearest repair shop.

$500 (15000 baht) for 3 to 4 hours instruction on how to change a motorbike tire? Are you kidding?

For that amount of money, I would throw in the girlfriend, a 43 inch widescreen HD TV and 3 buffalos.

You should change the name of this thread to: Stupid farang with lots of money to give away for doing sod all.

It`s very easy.

Do you know a Thai person who can translate for you?

If so, take that person with you to any small motorbike repair shop; there are billions of them in and around the town.

Then offer about 2000 baht to a mechanic (And even that’s too much) to give you a hands on instruction on how to replace an intertube on a motorbike. Get the Thai person to translate for you and make notes or even take someone with you that can record the event on a video recorder or a with a camera that has a video facility.

Shouldn’t take anymore than a couple of hours at the most.

$500 (15000 baht) for 3 to 4 hours instruction on how to change a motorbike tire? Are you kidding?

For that amount of money, I would throw in the girlfriend, a 43 inch widescreen HD TV and 3 buffalos.

You should change the name of this thread to: Stupid farang with lots of money to give away for doing sod all.

It`s very easy.

If so, take that person with you to any small motorbike repair shop; there are billions of them in and around the town.

Then offer about 2000 baht to a mechanic (And even that's too much) to give you a hands on instruction on how to replace an intertube on a motorbike. Get the Thai person to translate for you and make notes or even take someone with you that can record the event on a video recorder or a with a camera that has a video facility.

Shouldn't take anymore than a couple of hours at the most.

Fail ! I think your reading skills are possibly about as good as his mechanics lol. At no point does he say B500 per hour.

:cheesy:

B.J., B=Baht, $=Dollars. I hope you can understand the difference. What the o.p. wrote was "B500" not $500, and for 3 to 4 hours of instruction, the same fee ,if the result was achieved more quickly. Still want to throw in the :extras"? Also .be very careful- you should state which $ you are using. There is a wide differentiation in exchange rates for the various $'s

Edited by afarang

I've done many trips on the motorbike by myself and have had many flats too. One thing I've learned is that you are never more than a half KM from someone that can fix your tire. This is in town or in the mountains. I don't think its practical to carry around all the equipment necessary to repair a tire along with the rest of your travel gear.

As long as you are driving a standard size bike (Wave,Dream) they will always have replacements in stock.

BTW,

$500 = 500 dollars

500B = 500 Baht

$500 baht = makes everyone argue about what you're talking about

Edited by CMSteve

check the tire pressure the next time you change the inner tube from a thai shop. Sometimes they underinflate them and the valve stem moves around. More pressure usually keeps things in place.

however in most cases they usually over inflate them !

I say jump into it and do it yourself, no need for someone to teach you how. everything is self explanatory.

As somebody already said, Get someone to write in Thai what you want to learn. There IS a proper procedure for minor repairs and even for changing a tire. Show the mechanic the note and bring along a digital camera and a notebook. Get the mechanic to go over things slowly and take notes and photos of the proper order things are done. Then, do it yourself a few times and you'll feel more confident. I get flats occasionally and my favorite mechanic changes the tube and puts it all back together for about 150 baht... including a new inner tube. On extended trips it does help to carry a can of compressed air and a patching kit... along with the few tools you will need.

To reduce the chance of punctures, keep the tyres to the correct pressure and periodically check them for inbedded bits of glass and metal.

ALso, might be worth going to a garage and striking a deal with a mechanic there to teach you.

get the correct hard tyre pressure and check it regularly. the valve is the weakest part on the tyre!

cheers,

Thats funny I had a blow out on my rear tire today coming back to Hang Dong on 108. I stopped at a couple of repair shops for cars but none could fix it they all pointed down the road . I traveled on the rim at a slow speed ." I aint pushin " . A Thai kid pulled in front of me and stopped me and pointed o my tire and then point to a road behind me the said 20 meters . Sure enough I rode in and rode out 10 minites later and 140 baht less and smiling ..... Tired have little resistance to nail s. Its my third flat each time I was able to get it fixed pretty quick ......

It`s very easy.

Then offer about 2000 baht to a mechanic (And even that's too much) to give you a hands on instruction on how to replace an intertube on a motorbike. Get the Thai person to translate for you and make notes or even take someone with you that can record the event on a video recorder or a with a camera that has a video facility.

Shouldn't take anymore than a couple of hours at the most.

500 Baht, like 500฿. I never can find the right key. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

25,000 km on a rear tire is not bad actually. If you wanted to be like the 10k guy above, perhaps you should follow his advice.

You might also consider your style of driving. Perhaps you are putting too much pressure on the rear of the bike, and of course, a number of things can cause this.

You might also check the drive system. Some automatics, in my experience, have a tendency to ''drive on'', and drivers adapt. My solution (short term only) is to hold the front brake on by hand, with 2 feet on the ground. Some people, have a preference for 1 foot on the ground, and back brake on, with the other foot.