Heavy Pollution In The Gulf Of Pattaya

nikkoid66

Just 5 days after "Ocean Day" some rain in the Golf of Pattaya brings the tourists back to reality. Spectacular and awful pollution.

You want to buy a condo in Pattaya, premium view on the Golf? Check these pictures and think about the resell value when people will realize at large how bad, and dangerous the water is in Pattaya.

I cannot recall in my life having seen such a shame water close to where people are living. Maybe in some garbage place in India? But not in a major touristic city like Pattaya.

The pollution seems to come from Bali Hai pier, or from hundred of boats who cleaned up their engine this morning in a massive noisy way...

In this election time, how the authorities cannot be concerned about these kind of events? In Europe or US, it would do the news opening and people would debate about what kind of pollution, industrial, from the sewers, boats? The beach would be closed for insanity.

But here it seems that giving trophy in front of photographs, and talking for nothing is the way to solve issues like these.

Kids were playing on the beach this morning and nothing seems to shake the Thai people around. It is business as usual.

How many people will get sick? This pollution will evaporate, come in the air, go in the food, stink on the beach for weeks, or months.

I have been living in different places. And in France, Italy, UK, Switzerland, Bahamas, Barbados, Martinique, in the USA or even in south American's Islands, you will never see something like this. Miami, a 8 Million people city has sparkling water.

post-105564-0-01385800-1307957041_thumb.

post-105564-0-74627900-1307957050_thumb.

post-105564-0-48525600-1307957059_thumb.

post-105564-0-25246100-1307957067_thumb.

Edited by nikkoid66

As you mention, its raining a lot lately. So all the sewer canals get really flushed and with too much water for the cleaning stations, it gets flushed into the Sea. All the Oil from our much beloved Food Carts (old oil will be put in the raincovers every evening) is now flushed out to the Sea.

I think its bad, however its Thailand. Guess you have to accept it, or move back to one of the lovely Countries you mentioned before.

Edited by CHdiver

Hi,

If this is "Heavy Pollution", how do you call that? (from USA)

Bird-in-oil-spill-1.jpg

But I agree that Pattaya urgently need of a big decent wastewater treatment station

and that Thailand need to educate Thai people about this kind of environment concern... :ermm:

I agree that US is not perfect, but at least there is a concern when something happen like this.

It is not business as usual.

They don't say "if you are not happy, leave the country"

Oceans have no frontiers. If you put shit in one place will spread all over the place.

But I guess mongers who come in Pattaya are only concern about their girlfriend's ass cleanness.

btw if you compared the result of a day of rain in Thailand with this, it is a bit not exactly the same.

Hi,

Bird-in-oil-spill-1.jpg

But I agree that Pattaya urgently need of a big decent wastewater treatment station

and that Thailand need to educate Thai people about this kind of environment concern... :ermm:

Edited by nikkoid66

So rather then taking those pics what did you do today to help clean up what you say is discusting? Did you help pick up any garbage or anything?'Thai's work in the day so I don't think they will. Pattaya is not known for it's clean beaches. Could always move to Na Jomtien if you don't like it? Any time they try to instal bigger drain systems they need to rip up the roads etc then you would be here complaing about the terrible road condition or would you accept that?

So rather then taking those pics what did you do today to help clean up what you say is discusting? Did you help pick up any garbage or anything?'Thai's work in the day so I don't think they will. Pattaya is not known for it's clean beaches. Could always move to Na Jomtien if you don't like it? Any time they try to instal bigger drain systems they need to rip up the roads etc then you would be here complaing about the terrible road condition or would you accept that?

People awareness is what will change things. Spain and Italy got thru this and they had to step so that the tourist won't flew away... same can happen here.

Jomtien is worse than Pattaya, sometime Pattaya can have acceptable water close to Naklua, but Jomtien is always really dirty.

You need to drive down to Ban Saray to see some better water. Even Koh Larn is dirty now, coral Island does not have anymore corals...they are all grey and dead.

Hi folks

I have been swimming on the Pratumnak end of the beach daily for the last 7 years. The water quality has been getting worse and worse, not even mentioning the dangerous pieces of deliberately broken glass (under water) and the seasonal stingers.

A situation/story that I have heard several times from friends and I have always laughed off, "swimming in shit", became reality last week.

I did my daily laps about 150 yards off the beach, where usually there water starts to clear up somewhat. I was gagging, finding myself all of a sudden in the middle of larger and smaller pieces of shit turds in a quite large area. I succeeded to dive and get away towards the beach and immediately leave the water and now believe this story.

I doubt I will ever go to swim again in these waters.

A visit to several islands incl. Koh Chang and some smaller islands towards Cambodia in the area a few weeks back, were equally shocking. Corals almost totally destroyed, even remote beaches full of rubbish of any kind. Disgusting! What a shame. Lots of disappointed tourists, who never will come back, too. :sick: There is no way Thailand will improve the image to receive better quality tourists.

I agree that US is not perfect, but at least there is a concern when something happen like this.

It is not business as usual.

They don't say "if you are not happy, leave the country"

Oceans have no frontiers. If you put shit in one place will spread all over the place.

But I guess mongers who come in Pattaya are only concern about their girlfriend's ass cleanness.

btw if you compared the result of a day of rain in Thailand with this, it is a bit not exactly the same.

Hi,

Bird-in-oil-spill-1.jpg

In the early Eighties Pattaya was known as "The Jewel of Asia" dut to its pristine waters, not for long though, the ocean has been badly poluted for 30 years now! what has been done about it, TIT - nothing...

"Oceans have no frontiers" What is happening in Japan right now with nuclear waste is very worrying, little is being done about it, it warrants little to no "air" time, instead we are fed lies, the human race appears incapable of taking care of the oceans, sad :(

On Pratumnak Hill, there is a Sewer. It is well indicated on the road and you can smell it. They throw the shit into the water at this place but not directly to the beach, thru an underwater tube so that the thing has more chance to dissolve before going back on the beach. The funny things is that just hundred meters away are some of the most costly condo...any one can drive there and see for themselves, there is a big warning sign. Apparently you have swimt a little bit too close to that place or the currents were going in your direction that day.

I must say that your story is really horrific, I cannot imagine how disgusting it would be to be in that situation!

Hi folks

I have been swimming on the Pratumnak end of the beach daily for the last 7 years. The water quality has been getting worse and worse, not even mentioning the dangerous pieces of deliberately broken glass (under water) and the seasonal stingers.

A situation/story that I have heard several times from friends and I have always laughed off, "swimming in shit", became reality last week.

I did my daily laps about 150 yards off the beach, where usually there water starts to clear up somewhat. I was gagging, finding myself all of a sudden in the middle of larger and smaller pieces of shit turds in a quite large area. I succeeded to dive and get away towards the beach and immediately leave the water and now believe this story.

I doubt I will ever go to swim again in these waters.

A visit to several islands incl. Koh Chang and some smaller islands towards Cambodia in the area a few weeks back, were equally shocking. Corals almost totally destroyed, even remote beaches full of rubbish of any kind. Disgusting! What a shame. Lots of disappointed tourists, who never will come back, too. :sick: There is no way Thailand will improve the image to receive better quality tourists.

post-105564-0-88875900-1307977465_thumb.

Edited by nikkoid66

Gulf of Pattaya? Maybe you mean the Gulf of Siam? About five or six years ago, the Bangkok Post published the result of a pollution study of all the main beaches here. I seem to remember that many in Phuket and others on the Andaman Sea side were upto European standards for safe swimming. Here in Bangkok's toilet, things were less impressive. One thing that suprised me was that Pattaya beach was considered 'half way up the list' whereas Jomtien beach was the most polluted in Thailand.

Gulf of Pattaya? Maybe you mean the Gulf of Siam? About five or six years ago, the Bangkok Post published the result of a pollution study of all the main beaches here. I seem to remember that many in Phuket and others on the Andaman Sea side were upto European standards for safe swimming. Here in Bangkok's toilet, things were less impressive. One thing that suprised me was that Pattaya beach was considered 'half way up the list' whereas Jomtien beach was the most polluted in Thailand.

If we are thinking about the same study (it was actually done by the TAT or some other tourism related government department and the results publicised in the media), most of Phukets beaches were pretty foul as well. In any case, one would expect Thailand's Andaman sea facing beaches (western Phuket, Krabi, Trang, Kao Lak, etc.) would be cleaner as the human waste, agricultural chemicals, and other waster streams are flushed into the Indian Ocean; whereas the human, industrial, and agricultural waste produced from central Thailand, Bangkok (and it's 10M+ people), the Chao Praya river basin and on down to the Eastern Seaboards industrial estates to Rayong gets flushed into the much smaller and confining Gulf of Thailand.

Yesterday, at the Pullman Beach Club (Wongamat) having drinks at sunset. Everyone was commenting about the rubbish that was floating about in the sea and being washed onto the shore. It is SAD sight. Plastics, pipes, bags, bottles...some people who ventured into water ended up running out in a hurry due to EXCESSIVE rubbish, literally large pieces hitting swimmers.

There is no point saying 'if you don't like it, leave" because it affects all of us living here, even if we are not beach goers; nobody wants to live close to sea that is in danger of becoming a festering, putrid, eyesore. There is also no point saying that "Pattaya is not known for its clean beaches" because that is not entirely true as can be seen from the many many people who do go to the beach on weekends and high season.

There is a chap named KOTO who does try to do something by education and spreading awareness of the issue....he may be hitting a brickwall but at least he tries. Hopefully more people like him organise and act. Or else, the Pattaya authorities need to be publicly embarrassed with pics/photos, forums like thaivisa and by spreading the word on the internet. Then perhaps the voters will act accordingly when the consequences of the degraded sea hits the hip pocket.

Edited by doggie888888

Yesterday, at the Pullman Beach Club (Wongamat) having drinks at sunset. Everyone was commenting about the rubbish that was floating about in the sea and being washed onto the shore. It is SAD sight. Plastics, pipes, bags, bottles...some people who ventured into water ended up running out in a hurry due to EXCESSIVE rubbish, literally large pieces hitting swimmers.

There is no point saying 'if you don't like it, leave" because it affects all of us living here, even if we are not beach goers; nobody wants to live close to sea that is in danger of becoming a festering, putrid, eyesore. There is also no point saying that "Pattaya is not known for its clean beaches" because that is not entirely true as can be seen from the many many people who do go to the beach on weekends and high season.

There is a chap named KOTO who does try to do something by education and spreading awareness of the issue....he may be hitting a brickwall but at least he tries. Hopefully more people like him organise and act. Or else, the Pattaya authorities need to be publicly embarrassed with pics/photos, forums like thaivisa and by spreading the word on the internet. Then perhaps the voters will act accordingly when the consequences of the degraded sea hits the hip pocket.

Totally agree about everything you said. I got a message from these people : http://www.facebook....#!/Thedivetribe they have some very disturbing pictures of Pattaya's underwater...They apparently work with a big University in BK and make water analysis. The results as you can imagine are not good.

Edited by nikkoid66

If the Government would go the way of Malaysia, that would be a start. There you get charged for every Plastic Bag in the 7/11 (I guess other places will do the same). Till now it looks like Thais do not give a flying fxxx about the rubbish floating around. As mentioned before, they still come to enjoy the Beaches here in Pattaya.

It will be a long way for the Thais to actually learn to respect nature. As far as I know them, they do not like to take advice from Foreigners, so it has to start from there side.

ow it

If the Government would go the way of Malaysia, that would be a start. There you get charged for every Plastic Bag in the 7/11 (I guess other places will do the same). Till now it looks like Thais do not give a flying fxxx about the rubbish floating around. As mentioned before, they still come to enjoy the Beaches here in Pattaya.

This is Penang, Malaysia, Georgetown to be more precise. Once called the "Pearl of Asia". Now it more a black pearl to be accurate.

The problem is not the individual bags, but more the way the waste is managed in these cities. It is costly to manage the waste like we do in Europe and USA. Here in Georgetown, the sewage is directly in front of the expensive hotels. Nobody swim in these water, but it smell.

What people do not realize is the connection between their health and these environmental issues.

Anyone noticed that when it rains, they get sick? Lot of friend have got this same issue, it rains and the next day they have throat, stomach pain... Let explain that. Actually the pollution evaporates, and you breath it. In Pattaya as soon as you have heavy rain, it smells like sewer. It is bad, that means the bacteria are in the air and you breath them, they go in your body and you get sick. Rain in Pattaya is toxic.

post-105564-0-03591400-1308036604_thumb.

post-105564-0-70201100-1308036615_thumb.

post-105564-0-93028000-1308036627_thumb.

post-105564-0-26373800-1308036640_thumb.

Well said!!! :jap: But nothing will change for the better....

Thanks for that nikkoid66. Still the Plastic Bags is a start. I guess the reason for the bad smell after rain is most probably because all the waistwater from the toilets has overflown and is now part of the floodings. That will not change in the next 20 years.

They can`t build a proper Road in Pattaya, forget about a proper Sewerage ore Sewage Plant. Or did you ever see one of the nice Trucks cleaning Roads you see in Europe in Pattaya?

Guess I still will give you the same advice I gave in my first post here.

Edited by CHdiver

Thanks for that nikkoid66. Still the Plastic Bags is a start. I guess the reason for the bad smell after rain is most probably because all the waistwater from the toilets has overflown and is now part of the floodings. That will not change in the next 20 years.

They can`t build a proper Road in Pattaya, forget about a proper Sewerage ore Sewage Plant. Or did you ever see one of the nice Trucks cleaning Roads you see in Europe in Pattaya?

Pattaya has been a rat hole for over 15 year's to my knowledge. They used to pump crap into the sea then, Pattaya sea was a no no. Then they half sorted thing's out so they said, and I must admit for some time all was not to bad. Then it was let's put up more hotel's shop houses ect, with little or no infrastructure and this is the end result.

Must admit as a Farang you wont get to far complaining. Maybe a few word's at one of the Expat club's might get to some one's ear's who know's.

I used to live there moved out several years ago to another part of Thailand. That was because my young daughter was getting sick all the time. And a doctor advised me to get out and move some ware with less polution. Did just that and would you believe it now one well little girl. Pattaya could be good again if the people at the top didn't keep lining their pocket's and spent a bit. Question when was the last time anyone saw the beach being cleaned. If I recall it used to get done once a year by school children for the King's birthday. Just how much would it cost for Buddha sake, ten peep's wage's a few bt a day + they get to keep all the money from the recycled plastic glass they get. At least it might help a little. In the mean time just stay out of the water. And ramp up the old insurance.

Edited by fredob43

Pattaya has been a rat hole for over 15 year's to my knowledge. They used to pump crap into the sea then, Pattaya sea was a no no. Then they half sorted thing's out so they said, and I must admit for some time all was not to bad. Then it was let's put up more hotel's shop houses ect, with little or no infrastructure and this is the end result.

Must admit as a Farang you wont get to far complaining. Maybe a few word's at one of the Expat club's might get to some one's ear's who know's.

I used to live there moved out several years ago to another part of Thailand. That was because my young daughter was getting sick all the time. And a doctor advised me to get out and move some ware with less polution. Did just that and would you believe it now one well little girl. Pattaya could be good again if the people at the top didn't keep lining their pocket's and spent a bit. Question when was the last time anyone saw the beach being cleaned. If I recall it used to get done once a year by school children for the King's birthday. Just how much would it cost for Buddha sake, ten peep's wage's a few bt a day + they get to keep all the money from the recycled plastic glass they get. At least it might help a little. In the mean time just stay out of the water. And ramp up the old insurance.

The main problem for Pattaya is that most of the people don't come from here and therefore don't have any pride in the place. I think I remember correctly that at a previous national election, only 30,000 people were entitled to vote out of the probably a million or so who live here. The rest come down from Essarn to make as much money as possible and send it back home.

Hard Rock celebrates anniversary with beach cleanup

Story and pictures HERE

At least a good news! Thanks Hard Rock coffee! Just a word about the Hard Rock Coffee brand, it is owned by Native American Indians (Seminoles) who are known to be very pro-active about environment issues back home in Florida.

The main problem for Pattaya is that most of the people don't come from here and therefore don't have any pride in the place. I think I remember correctly that at a previous national election, only 30,000 people were entitled to vote out of the probably a million or so who live here. The rest come down from Essarn to make as much money as possible and send it back home.

I agree, Pattaya is a come/bank/go place. I talk with my Thai friends and they agree that they get sick all the time here. But because it is temporary, they do not complain, they know they will be back home soon, hopefully the pockets full of money.

Indeed shocking to see the pictures from polluted Pattaya beaches.

But, living in Sihanukville, just around the corner from Pattaya, I can assure you the Khmers manage to make their

beaches an even greater mess, with just a fraction of the tourists/residents/businesses Pattaya has.

Nikko you obviously have some ulterior motive, are yoiu selling condo's some where else or just someone who takes photos of the worst case scenarios and posts a load of rubbish to support it.

There is no sewerage goes into the water in or near Pattaya coast, do you really believe that, if you do your dafter than you sound, there is a bit of a problem with a small area near the beer gardens on beach road where a lot of drainage water enters and bags and bottles washed into the storm drains come out there.

Your posts in the main are rubbish, I was in Jomtien watching the beach cleaners as they do every day raking up what the tide brings in, no big deal, same as Pattaya beach they pick up most of the rubbish and a bit comes over on the tide from Koh larne Island, I mean your not going to drink the \water are you, its perfectly ok to swim in.

post-101635-0-99462000-1308282651_thumb.

Nikko you obviously have some ulterior motive, are yoiu selling condo's some where else or just someone who takes photos of the worst case scenarios and posts a load of rubbish to support it.

There is no sewerage goes into the water in or near Pattaya coast, do you really believe that, if you do your dafter than you sound, there is a bit of a problem with a small area near the beer gardens on beach road where a lot of drainage water enters and bags and bottles washed into the storm drains come out there.

Your posts in the main are rubbish, I was in Jomtien watching the beach cleaners as they do every day raking up what the tide brings in, no big deal, same as Pattaya beach they pick up most of the rubbish and a bit comes over on the tide from Koh larne Island, I mean your not going to drink the \water are you, its perfectly ok to swim in.

At Wongamat beach, Nikko's pics are representative of the woeful state of affairs. Admittedly, there are good days and bad days but in past one year, there are more bad days than good ones. When I first came here 3plus years ago, the good days (meaning clean-ish beach, clear-ish water and free from rubbish, not talking pristine here) more than outweighed the bad days but alas, these days I see rubbish, rubbish, and more rubbish. Sure you rub against rubbish once in a while but sorry, when these happens almost always and rubbish is visible most of the time in great quantities, it all becomes a bit unpleasant.

You ever been to the beach?? You must be dreaming. Off course it is not the same every day, but it is getting worse every year and some periods are absolutely disgusting. And.... I am on the beach every day of the year and have just lately stopped swimming on really bad days, as I started getting some very itchy skin rashes every evening after swimming. The original post is 100% correct and it is time somebody wakes up and starts acting on the environment. :jap:

• 1 month later...

LOOK A NEW RUBBISH TIP HAS OPENED UP ON A CREEK AT THE BACK OF JOMTIEN !!!!!!

post-78719-0-98110400-1311351074_thumb.j

post-78719-0-20791100-1311351131_thumb.j

LOOK A NEW RUBBISH TIP HAS OPENED UP ON A CREEK AT THE BACK OF JOMTIEN !!!!!!

disgusting..no wonder people are leaving and replaced by nationals who live in even more dirt....