First Home Buyers What To Look For?

falkan

Is there guide for first home buyers what to check before buying a second hand house? specifically for Thailand?

cracks, moisture, etc., or recommend you to hire a firm to check out the house one last time before buying?

The house is located on a gated community area with about 300 other houses...

You dont say where the house is, what area?

If Bkk the first thing I would check for is flooding, not just the land area of the house but also the sois outside, I have seen sois where in the rainy season its impossible to drive a car.

The second thing I would check for is rising damp, easy enough to spot.

Cracks are a bit more difficult, can be just poor rendering, but if you have cracks where an extension has been built it can mean big problems.

Next to look for is what is in your immediate area?Neighbours etc, barking dogs next door that will drive you crazy, some mom and pop shop where the locals hang out drinking til all hours etc etc.

Gated community, that means there should be some sort of committee, talk to neighbours and ask about problems and how quickly they are rectified.

Dont forget one of the biggest problems, security, not just of your house but the local moo baan as well, is burglary a problem?

Phuket are the houses, was checked in two separate houses

a two storey building which is joined about 10 other houses in a row 2 bedrooms 1 toilet

the second house is a common one storey house 2 bedrooms 1 toilet

we are possibly taking a look at them on Sunday and take pictures, should i take some pictures on special places to then examine further home?

thanks for good advices, a few more that have tips were super!

Phuket are the houses, was checked in two separate houses

a two storey building which is joined about 10 other houses in a row 2 bedrooms 1 toilet

the second house is a common one storey house 2 bedrooms 1 toilet

we are possibly taking a look at them on Sunday and take pictures, should i take some pictures on special places to then examine further home?

thanks for good advices, a few more that have tips were super!

Personally I wouldnt touch a townhouse with a 10 foot bargepole.

Keep your money and buy a detached house, or try renting and living in a T/H for at least 6 months before parting with your money.

Keep your money and buy a detached house, or try renting and living in a T/H for at least 6 months before parting with your money.

What has been your negative experience with townhouses? I consider them a compromise between condo and detached home living, with some of the pluses and minuses of each of those options.

What has been your negative experience with townhouses? I consider them a compromise between condo and detached home living, with some of the pluses and minuses of each of those options.

The main objection was car parking, trying to get a car in and out of a limited space, not helped by the neighbours who parked their cars in the soi to try and gain extra space in their 32 s/w rabbit hutch.

Next was privacy, not much fun sitting outside reading a paper and drinking coffee and every man and his dog passing by.

Next was noise from next door.

Personally I would rather live in a condo than ever live in a TH again.

The main objection was car parking, trying to get a car in and out of a limited space, not helped by the neighbours who parked their cars in the soi to try and gain extra space in their 32 s/w rabbit hutch.

Next was privacy, not much fun sitting outside reading a paper and drinking coffee and every man and his dog passing by.

Next was noise from next door.

Personally I would rather live in a condo than ever live in a TH again.

Plus someone is more likely to open a noisy, smelly or dirty business next door rendering your "investment" almost worthless. Less likely (although not impossible) in a gated development but you're so close to the neighbours that you can't ignore issues that can quickly come to dominate your life. All day TV and a yapping dog come to mind.