Fume Control

gennisis

I live out at Fat Ham. These last few days I ve seen guys spraying some white smoke..fumes..along the vergers and under the houses.

Obviously meant to kill off something....would appear to be harmless to animals...although my cat ran a mile and sheltered under my bed.

Any idea what it is for??

They are for killing skeeters. And if your lucky, they will do inside your house. just means for about 15 minutes -NO access, due to the fumes. It works really well. And you may also get the ladies come around with a powder ,a spoonful of which they put in anything that stores water, also to kill the mossies. Very effective. Especially welcome ,now that some of the more virulent fevers are making their presence felt.

No, makes no mess. Do inside our wardrobes, etc.. Very good. Just have to leave the house for 15, minutes or so. Have been sprayed inside as well, for more than 12 years.Maybe it has to do with how the "machine" is set up? Awfully bloody noisy, but.

They come down our soi every couple weeks. The Thai people often come out, hand the guy a 20 baht note and he sticks his contraption into their home for a minute or so. Personally, we close all the doors and windows and wait for the dying cockroaches to come up from the drains into our home a few hours later. It's intended to kill mosquitos but, as mentioned, does a good job killing cockroaches. In the U.S. they use malathion for this purpose. Used to drive thru our Michigan neighborhood with a very big version of the same type of fogger on a trailer whenever there were dengue fever outbreaks. The stuff they're using here sure smells like malathion. Personally I wouldn't want malathion in my house. We use window screens to keep the mosquitos outside and the cat takes care of the cockroaches, thank you.

afarag

re ... Have been sprayed inside as well, for more than 12 years.

i used to be a pest conroler in england 30 years ago and often fogged ( thats what it called )

in food factorys on weekends hundreds of times

dave2

ps ... the fogging machine attomises the insecticide in pipes around the barrel into the fog and it kills most small to medium insects but you shouldnt do it near fish tanks

but in thailand : (

post-42592-0-15418700-1308141166_thumb.j

If it is indeed Malathion they are spraying then you don't want it in your home. A friend in California is an expert on Malathion that advised trial lawyers in many cases in Los Angeles where people suffered blindness, nerve damage, and in some cases tumors, after exposure to Malathion when they did aerial spraying for the Medfly in California. A similar thing happened in Japan in the 1980's and many children had severe problems.

If you do a web search on malathion you'll find that the consensus is that brief exposures at low concentration is harmless. So if you have a serious infestation at home you might want to have it sprayed in your house, but don't be inside when it's being done and open the doors and windows and turn on the fans when you go back inside.

Based on this, brief exposures to malathion at intelligent concentrations (high enough to get the job done, low enough to have minimal risk to people) are probably safer than the risk of Dengue or Malaria.

Can anyone assure us that it is malathion at safe concentrations that is being sprayed?