Thaksin: Pheu Thai To Form Govt With Small Parties; Hopes To Return To Thailand This Nov

webfact

This comment by Thaksin is obviously targeting those voters on the fence between a smaller party and PT.

I think he would also like to 'clean up' the political landscape by slow attrition of the smaller mercenary parties

Didn't he do that when he bought a few smaller parties into TRT before the 2005 election?

Did he?

At least the army didn't put some pressure on the smaller parties to sell themselves, right?

No they did not need to.Taksin gave them millions of baht.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his name is Thaksin Shinawatra or something like that - after all isnt that exactly what HE would do if he were PM and an ex criminal PM was trying to return and take control of the country - interesting point - what would Thaksin do to Thaksin? What would PM Thaksin have done to the red shirts if hed been PM faced with last years terrorism and had the army on his side??

Thaksin wins elections without the help of the army. So there would be probably no Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship in the streets demanding new elections, Thaksin would win anyway.

But okay in case of IF - He would maybe accept these demands and hold snap elections or a referendum.

Edited by samurai

Thaksin wins elections without the help of the army. So there would be probably no Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship in the streets demanding new elections, Thaksin would win anyway.

But okay in case of IF - He would maybe accept these demands and hold snap elections or a referendum.

This is an interesting one. The UDD (aka DAAD) would not be in the street if Thaksin would win anyway. That suggests 'only if he would not win anyway'.

If k. Thaksin would get demands for it he would hold snap elections. Actually he didn't need demands for it, he held snap elections anyway. Mind you the sell of Shinawatra's holdings in ShinCorp the very day a new law was enacted which changed rules around foreign ownership of Telecom companies with no tax payed, seemed a good reason for protests and for k. Thaksin to call for snap elections even while still having a comfortable majority in the House and being in Thaksin-II for hardly a year.

Thailand has managed to completely invalidate the whole thought of a government elected by the people, of the people, for the people by the existence of 30 plus political parties. There cannot be 30 plus different proposals on how to run this country, what the people want, etc. Thailand would appear to be the home for fiefdoms, controlled by self serving thugs, who control various political parties, primarily for the purpose of making huge amounts of financial gain.

When you can horse trade an alliance of parties for various positions, financial and other perks, why would you expect any change from the past? What is really scary is when you look at the qualifications, background, and promoters of the some of the individuals placed or proposed for the various positions of responsibility.

This is an interesting one. The UDD (aka DAAD) would not be in the street if Thaksin would win anyway. That suggests 'only if he would not win anyway'.

If k. Thaksin would get demands for it he would hold snap elections. Actually he didn't need demands for it, he held snap elections anyway. Mind you the sell of Shinawatra's holdings in ShinCorp the very day a new law was enacted which changed rules around foreign ownership of Telecom companies with no tax payed, seemed a good reason for protests and for k. Thaksin to call for snap elections even while still having a comfortable majority in the House and being in Thaksin-II for hardly a year.

His proxy parties certainly didn't call new elections in 2008 .......

Your comments are a huge insult to all Thai people...............

The electorate is entirely bought ????

How offensive and patronising and I wonder if you have the courage to make such comments to Thai people directly.

Many would outright agree with the comment .... how many thought vote-buying was not only endemic but a serious problem? I had the discussion with 5 Thai voters tonight, in fact. We were discussing 'hubris' and someone referring to himself as a Mandela or Ghandi ... they brought the conversation around to politics at the village scale. These 5 saw Thai politics the same way, and 2 are from the South, 2 from Isaan, and one from the North. Their questions to me was "How can we get rid of the dinosaurs?" So --- yes Many would agree with the statement. BTW --- your righteous indignation has the other poster making statements that he didn't say. (ie "The electorate is entirely bought" ---)

Okay the other poster didn't say "The electorate is entirely bought",he only implied that Thaksin got the mandate from the people because he bought it.

Could you tell me in what context and with which words this someone you mentioned referred to himself as a Mandela or Gandhi?

Could you tell me in what context and with which words this someone you mentioned referred to himself as a Mandela or Gandhi?

I think it's much more an attempt at association with certain well-known freedom fighters to suggest a similar treat. 'See Mandela likes me', or 'Cambodian premier compares Thaksin to Aung San Suu Kyi'.

Some of these popularity boosts have never really worked out. Anyone remembers this from November 2008 when k. Thaksin was really turning away from politics "Mandela, Clinton Should Make Room for Thaksin: William Pesek"

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&refer=columnist_pesek&sid=a_zDjYlgsh_Y

I think it's much more an attempt at association with certain well-known freedom fighters to suggest a similar treat. 'See Mandela likes me', or 'Cambodian premier compares Thaksin to Aung San Suu Kyi'.

Some of these popularity boosts have never really worked out. Anyone remembers this from November 2008 when k. Thaksin was really turning away from politics "Mandela, Clinton Should Make Room for Thaksin: William Pesek"

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&refer=columnist_pesek&sid=a_zDjYlgsh_Y

A primary source please.

And not that what someone suggest that another someone had said something alike this about him.

Thaksin expressed hope that he can return to Thailand in November ...

... and go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200 $1.4 Billion.

You really think a Phuea Thai government will arrest Thaksin when he arrives back in Thailand?

:blink:

A primary source please.

And not that what someone suggest that another someone had said something alike this about him.

I regret to have to tell you that at this very moment my dear buddy Thaksin 'maew' S. and I are not really on speaking terms. We have a difference of opinion on the use of taxes and who should pay them. When we do kiss and make up I will inform you. Don't call us, we might call you ;)

Just for the fun of it:

2009-10-23 Cambodian premier compares Thaksin to Aung San Suu Kyi - Summary

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/291488,cambodian-premier-compares-thaksin-to-aung-san-suu-kyi--summary.html

Next time I see my Cambodian buddy I'll ask him to write you a personalised note. Pen written, or do you prefer quill ?

Edited by rubl

You really think a Phuea Thai government will arrest Thaksin when he arrives back in Thailand?

Tricky question, dear rat of a strange kind. A few possibilities here.

A. Government does have him arrested

B. Government ignores laws of the country and doesn't have him arrested, loosing credibility

C. some black shirt annoyed at maxed-out creditcards lobs a grenade

D. unknowns show their dis-satisfaction

E. people rise up in protest of double standards

F. all TV Thaksin supporters gather at the airport to greet the returning criminal and get rounded up for overstay of visa

etc., etc., etc. :D

You obviously don't read the news. They didn't go their separate ways...they were forced to join the Democrat coalition.

Let's hope that Thaksin can actually return to Thailand, the vicious political persecution can stop & those who have been duped by the propaganda will have a chance to understand that it is the government/ army/ elite that are the ones ruining the country.

So they were forced to set up separate political parties too?

Thaksin expressed hope that he could return to Thailand in November to join His Majesty's celebrations....

On this one statement hinges the future direction of this country. If it's possible for a proxy party to come to power and reverse verdicts against criminals within months, overriding the judiciary and infuriating a sizable part of the population who strongly feel that pardons for popular politicians is not proper, then this country has a very big problem ahead of it. That Thaksin so confidently believes that he is innocent and that having his crowd in power will quickly exonerate him despite everything we've been through and the enormous resistance of the past few years (not just from the establishment but also the public) then we he has a very big problem ahead, or rather, his kid sister does.

It seems that the only way Thailand is going to learn is to vote PTP in, let them try to bring back Thaksin and see how much resistance they face from all quarters. and the day Thaksin walks free without doing time or a proper retrial is the day you see Ratchaprasong 2.0 only the shirt colours will be different. Perhaps we need to go through that all over again for the voters to realize what a folly this is all turning out to be. I just hope it doesn't happen on the eve of the tourist season.

"Thaksin expressed hope that he can return to Thailand in November to attend the celebration of His Majesty the King's 84th birthday anniversary on December 5"

Will he get an invite?

He didn't say he would drop by the palace for tea and biscuits. He merely said he wanted be in Thailand for the birthday anniversary. ;)

This comment by Thaksin is obviously targeting those voters on the fence between a smaller party and PT.

I think he would also like to 'clean up' the political landscape by slow attrition of the smaller mercenary parties

Didn't he do that when he bought a few smaller parties into TRT before the 2005 election?

Did he?

At least the army didn't put some pressure on the smaller parties to sell themselves, right?

How can you assume that? Thaksin had his people in army factions too.

I will grant that simple greed is a bigger motivator here.

Rix ---- when they mean "small parties" they mean TINY parties -- those with 1 or 2 seats .... in other words they don't have to be listened to at all. The concept being that in some way Thaksin's autocratic CEO style will be more "democratic" it they have 3 MP's from other parties helping them in a coalition :)

True. It's called "Thaksinocracy"

It's called having the mandate from the people.

Its called BUYING the mandate from the people

Unfortunately it isn't that simple. If it were, you could simply outbid him and Thailand would be a better place.

What Thaksin has done is appealed to the worst in the people, creating a fictitious enemy called the elite, which nobody can even define, and brainwashing a good majority of the population into believing that this is the source of all their woes. Hitler did this in Nazi Germany as well by blaming the Jews, and he was also very successful. So you can't even blame the Thai people. It is basic human nature to want to believe evil charlatans like Thaksin. They are truly charismatic people who should not be underestimated.

He is a truly dangerous man. He didn't buy the vote. That is what is truly scary. He didn't have to.

Let us hope that somehow those of good moral character in this country band together to protect us from the tyranny and malevolence he would release on this great kingdom should he return. I don't mind the PT forming the government. I think it is going to happen, and as long as it stops short of Thaksin returning I think everything will be OK. But if the worst comes to pass, I continue to have faith in those with truly benevolent intentions that they will stop his hideous return to power, even if it takes civil war to accomplish it.

Tricky question, dear rat of a strange kind. A few possibilities here.

A. Government does have him arrested

B. Government ignores laws of the country and doesn't have him arrested, loosing credibility

C. some black shirt annoyed at maxed-out creditcards lobs a grenade

D. unknowns show their dis-satisfaction

E. people rise up in protest of double standards

F. all TV Thaksin supporters gather at the airport to greet the returning criminal and get rounded up for overstay of visa

etc., etc., etc. :D

Uh Mock means fake so, the fake rat.

a ) The government need not be the ones to arrest him. Police of DSI etc would suffice.

b ) Nothing unusual there.

c ) It would be some player from some faction of those OPPOSING the Black shirts, not black shirts.

d ) Which is essentially 1/3 of the voters in the nations.'

e ) Double standards come from BOTH sides, but the one that hurts the MOST people,

not the loudest block, would face the worst retribution.

f ) "I have a dream."

'jdinasia' timestamp='1308126916' post='4490594'

Rix ---- when they mean "small parties" they mean TINY parties -- those with 1 or 2 seats .... in other words they don't have to be listened to at all. The concept being that in some way Thaksin's autocratic CEO style will be more "democratic" it they have 3 MP's from other parties helping them in a coalition :)

True. It's called "Thaksinocracy"

It's called having the mandate from the people.

Its called BUYING the mandate from the people

Unfortunately it isn't that simple. If it were, you could simply outbid him and Thailand would be a better place.

What Thaksin has done is appealed to the worst in the people, creating a fictitious enemy called the elite, which nobody can even define, and brainwashing a good majority of the population into believing that this is the source of all their woes. Hitler did this in Nazi Germany as well by blaming the Jews, and he was also very successful. So you can't even blame the Thai people. It is basic human nature to want to believe evil charlatans like Thaksin. They are truly charismatic people who should not be underestimated.

He is a truly dangerous man. He didn't buy the vote. That is what is truly scary. He didn't have to.

Let us hope that somehow those of good moral character in this country band together to protect us from the tyranny and malevolence he would release on this great kingdom should he return. I don't mind the PT forming the government. I think it is going to happen, and as long as it stops short of Thaksin returning I think everything will be OK. But if the worst comes to pass, I continue to have faith in those with truly benevolent intentions that they will stop his hideous return to power, even if it takes civil war to accomplish it.

Thaksin has traded one brain washing for another.

It was easy since the national mindset is shut up and listen to your teachers unquestioningly.

So now we have two schools of brain washing

fighting for a majority of control.

Thaksin certainly appealed to the worst instincts.

Demagogues do that, divide and conquer by

pitting one social segment against another.

Together we stand divided we fall.

Sadly 'Thaksin returning completely responsibility free' is obviously his game plan, just as it was with PPP, but this time he has photogenic and pliable Yingluck vs egotistical Samak this round. Thaksin wants control if not direct control in his name 1st. HAVING the control is just as important. He can attach his name to the desk name plate stand later.

Thaksin coming back and taking control, sitting in on cabinet meetings as 'an observer' etc will be a final straw in several quarters.

Unelected defacto national leader... not gonna fly, and that means it is lighting a match and causing something that COULD directly cause civil war. I can not see Thaksin's ego taking a back seat when he gets back, should his game plan work out. And that is VERY bad for the nation, his reputation precedes him, and most people have LONG memories here.Especially those who think past tomorrows lunch.

Edited by animatic

A primary source please.

I regret to have to tell you that at this very moment my dear buddy Thaksin 'maew' S. and I are not really on speaking terms. We have a difference of opinion on the use of taxes and who should pay them. When we do kiss and make up I will inform you. Don't call us, we might call you ;)

Just for the fun of it:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/291488,cambodian-premier-compares-thaksin-to-aung-san-suu-kyi--summary.html

Next time I see my Cambodian buddy I'll ask him to write you a personalised note. Pen written, or do you prefer quill ?

What part of "referring to himself as a Mandela or Ghandi" you don't understand?

I asked for examples for that and nothing else.

Did he?

How can you assume that? Thaksin had his people in army factions too.

I will grant that simple greed is a bigger motivator here.

So what now - did he bought them or did he used some military wing to put them under pressure?

And how do you know that?

A primary source please.

Just for the fun of it:

What part of "referring to himself as a Mandela or Ghandi" you don't understand?

What part of "I think it's much more an attempt at association with certain well-known freedom fighters to suggest a similar treat." didn't you understand ?

Just for the fun of it:

What part of "I think it's much more an attempt at association with certain well-known freedom fighters to suggest a similar treat." didn't you understand ?

You probably don't understand that it are not examples where the person in question referred to himself as whatever freedom fighter.

I want to know when, where and how that someone compared himself to Mandela or Mother Theresa.

Edited by samurai

No doubt negotiations use all available means,

as it is in most countries.

What WE may find acceptable is irrelevant,

it's what the most Thais see as acceptable at that given moment is what counts.

Yes, Thais have no problem with it and will vote for Yingluck as they voted years ago for her brother.

What you say about this pair of siblings is irrelevant. Correct.

But claims like "he bought the smaller parties" need a little back up. Specially if such claims came from poster who are never tired to claim that PM Abhisit is 130% legit and yesterdays corrupt and greedy mercenaries without moral and ethics suddenly become honest politicians as long they are in a coalition with the Dems.

Edited by samurai

You probably don't understand that it are not examples where the person in question referred to himself as whatever freedom fighter.

I want to know when, where and how that someone compared himself to Mandela or Mother Theresa.

I don't know if k. Thaksin ever compared himself with some really great figures. I think it's much more an attempt to show greatness by association. The meeting with Mandela suggesting 'a discussion about reconciliation with a like-minded person' whereas it was just a private courtesy call. Things like that.

I found references that k. Thaksin may have compared himself with Nelson Mandela in a DTV phone-in, but I didn't find details other than in blogs.

2009-01-25 DTV'S CONTROVERSIAL PHONE-IN

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/01/25/politics/politics_30094129.php

The 'Truth today' broadcast also has similar aspects

2008-11-12 The talk show also serves as a channel of communication between Thaksin and his red-shirted army, and also "corrects" any "damaging misinformation" about the ex-leader.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/12/politics/politics_30088177.php

I don't know if k. Thaksin ever compared himself with some really great figures. I think it's much more an attempt to show greatness by association. The meeting with Mandela suggesting 'a discussion about reconciliation with a like-minded person' whereas it was just a private courtesy call. Things like that.

I found references that k. Thaksin may have compared himself with Nelson Mandela in a DTV phone-in, but I didn't find details other than in blogs.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/01/25/politics/politics_30094129.php

2008-11-12 The talk show also serves as a channel of communication between Thaksin and his red-shirted army, and also "corrects" any "damaging misinformation" about the ex-leader.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/12/politics/politics_30088177.php

Thank you for posting two links that don't answer the question.

That Thaksin compares himself to Gandhi or Mandela or whatever is an often dropped and repeated allegation. But when, where and how are the interesting questions one should be able to answer before he repeats that allegation too.

'samurai' timestamp='1308189838' post='4492081'

http://www.nationmul...cs_30094129.php

http://www.nationmul...cs_30088177.php

Thank you for posting two links that don't answer the question.

That Thaksin compares himself to Gandhi or Mandela or whatever is an often dropped and repeated allegation. But when, where and how are the interesting questions one should be able to answer before he repeats that allegation too.

His own public pronouncements via Nopadom.

"Thaksin expressed hope that he can return to Thailand in November to attend the celebration of His Majesty the King's 84th birthday anniversary on December 5"

Will he get an invite?

He didn't say he would drop by the palace for tea and biscuits. He merely said he wanted be in Thailand for the birthday anniversary. ;)

Well, if the occasion meant so much to him, one wonders why for the past five years or so he has put staying out of jail and evading justice ahead of being here to pay his respects.