Married To Thai, Living In Thailand

You are married to a Thai person, you have children together and are living in Thailand, on a marriage visa. You are too young for a retirement visa. You have made Thailand your home, having sold everything in your country of birth, and you have a lovely home which you have bought. Your wife dies. Thailand is your home now, but on what type of visa could you carry on living in Thailand? Maybe you dont want to remarry or obtain a student visa. what would you do? Just curious

2.18 In the case of a family

member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child

of his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a time.

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child

of his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

Just to be clear...

So this is effectively like a marriage visa or retirment visa? Enough money in the bank and you can stay?

if you have children together it seems straight forward.

but what if you do not have children together, but your wife has children, and these children are part of your family home in Thailand. your wife has made provision in her Will, saying she wishes you to continue to be the legal guardian of her children. (the father is still alive but has nothing / little to do with them).

Can you then obtain a non imm o type visa to stay in thailand to carry on looking after her children? ( who are part of your family )

edit: to remove one word

Edited by kunash

Believe age is only an issue for non-Thai children - if not Thai they would only be able to use Thai family relationship until they were 20 years old.

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her

spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with

the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

There does not appear to be any limitation on a parent of a Thai child as to age. But the section is a bit hard to read and on a bad day I have read it that way.

This is the rule and I can see no age limits.

of his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

Adult children don't count as 'family'?

So the only way would be to re-marry! (assuming not meeting the retirement visa requirements)

sad.

Is above statement correct ? Anyone ?

Cheers.

I try again: Correct or not ?

Cheers.

Believe adult children do count as family, but there is probably a catch: you must be living with your child.

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Adult children don't count as 'family'?

So the only way would be to re-marry! (assuming not meeting the retirement visa requirements)

sad.

Is above statement correct ? Anyone ?

Cheers.

I try again: Correct or not ?

Cheers.

I think I must specify and this is hypothtical:

Children of my wife are in their mid-twenties (I have no children with my wife.)

The question is this : If my Thai-Wife should die before me under what Visa-Status can I stay in Thailand. = Still under "O"-Marriage-Visa (400'000 Bth Bank Deposit) or only under "Retirement-Visa" (800'000 Bht Bank Deposit).

To avoid a "Retirement-Visa" situation, would I have to re-marry a Thai-National to remain on a "O"-Marriage-Visa ? That's the question.

Thanks & cheers.

You would lose your permission t stay and would need to apply for a permission to stay based on retirement.

But it is possible that they would allow 400,000 under 2.18 to stay with the child of your spouse.

But don't forget that rules are subject to change, it might be different by that time.