World Of Warcraft

hughden

Checking out my favourite games shop in Tuk Com Pattaya today and they are stocking World of Warcraft (original). Cost is 1690 Baht which includes one month free play.

Installed and established account with no problem; game is now automatically downloading the latest patch which is 253 MB so will take a while. Then I can see how well it plays over my ADSL connection.

Comes with a 200 page manual so that will keep me interested while I am waiting for the download to finish!

Anybody else playing it from Thailand?

Are the instructions, logging on etc... in English?

Not too sure about it though, I like to be amongst the best (or feel that I could be) when playing online games, with those MMORPG there are so many people who sit there for 16 hours a day since the first day it came out that you just cant compete.

Games like Zero Hour are more my style.

Have played my first brief session. Extremely user-friendly and easy to get into.

There are a choice of servers to play on (many many) and they have different concepts. I am not into being beaten up and killed by 16 year old boys who live on the computer and so joined a server where player vs player combat only happens by mutual agreement.

There is a whole world populated by computer characters, monsters and beasts whom you interact with, along with other players. At the start you are given simple quests to complete in your home town, receive some training and then you are sent out on more challenging quests. There seems to be endless activities to undertake; and the game reeks of quality, I am must impressed.

Everything is in english; this is the US product and not a local version. There were a couple of other players in the area I was in and there was no sign of lag. Moving around the world was very smooth. I have 128/256 ADSL, it is meant to work on a 56k modem.

you should be fine with ping times of about 300-500 (which is what youll get here in LoS) anything higher than that and you will begin to struggle... a lot.

Its a good game and very playable providing the connection between here and the US is ok, expect some lag and you should be ok.

I used to play but now i've let my subs slip and im not playing... too busy at the moment, but might resubscribe another time.

Also you dont actually need to sit in front the comp for 12hrs a day to get anywhere in WoW, its kinda friendly to casual players by giving Xp bonuses to those who havent logged on for a little while. All in all, its the best MMORG i've played, but i did feel it was aimed too much at the teenagers with too much time. I'm going to give EQ2 a try and see, i always remember that game being aimed a little more at mature players... <shrug>

I've also just picked it up (here in BKK) after agreat few weeks on Guild Wars. It's very different, but very addictive. Pingtime isn't too awful, generally, but I've died a couple of times due to it.

Quite a nice game, but Quests really seem to get hard around lvl 7 - suddenly soloing isn't a good idea.

I am playing on a RP server, there are less people and those that are there seem to be a lot more friendly / less moronic kids. I guess they all hand out on the PVP servers swearing at each other :o

Neph.