Good Places For A Monthish Stay In Southern Thailand

gabrielbegin

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie planning a trip to thailand, and I've really enjoyed the wealth of info on this forum. I am planning a 2-3 month trip to thailand this coming august, flying into Kuala Lampur and coming overland.

Looking for a nice place to spend a month or two relaxing with affordable accommodation... Will be traveling with my girlfriend and am not looking to party or for any place that is overly crowded or touristy. I Would like to do some sightseeing and tourism, but also like to spend a good time of time hunkered down in a bungalow or what not relaxing, doing yoga, day trips to the beach or other interesting places nearby. Also, I love to cook so I need a place where I could rent a space with a decent kitchen and reasonable access to markets nearby... I love thai food - not really interested or in need of any western or other ingredients.

I had been thinking Ko Samui and/or Ko Phgnan, but it seems like these may not be as nice as they once were..

August into September is still the rainy season on the West side of Thailand. If later into this period, Satun, Trang, or Khura Buri might be nice low key places. If still rainy over there East side is probably nicer weather until mid September (then equal for a few weeks, then better on West). Chumphon can be nice on the Gulf of Thailand side. All places mentioned are away from the main tourist centers.

Hat Yai! I found it to be one of the nicest cities in Thailand. You can get a cheap room, the food is good, there are not lots of sites to see, but it is a great location to get to other locations. Want to got to the beach, go to Songkla for the day.

Here is an absolutely fantastic place to start looking:

Edited by LivinginKata
Links to other forums not allowed

• 2 months later...

Whilst your in Hatyai you should defs visit Songkhla.. Just a short drive from HatYai

it's on the beach. You will find few foreigners there and on weekends alot of Malaysian tour buses & Malaysian ( since it's not far from the border)

should check out SAMILA BEACH next too BP samila resort.. And srisuda road for pubs/bars... Nice resturants usually beach front

• 4 weeks later...

Khanom sounds like a perfect spot for you!!!!!!!

Khanom is small attractive new target in south.

Between Surat Thani and Nakhon si Thammarat.

From beach you can see koh samui island and beautiful islands between samui and Khanom.

Growing fast but not too fast.

Really good connections to Samui, Phangan, surat, nakhon etc...

Really laid back small town.

Beautiful beaches, clean nature, waterfalls, caves, river, PINK DOLPHINS, etc.......

Prices are really cheap in here and peoples so nice and friendly.

Google about Khanom, lots of information and pictures