House-Helpers When On Vacation

CMX

I have a housekeeper who lives out but comes in for 16 hours of work weekly. Let's say I pay her 1000 baht a week (I'll extrapolate).

A team of workers (varies from two to four, with an amazingly well-organized boss), however, cleans the house in a few hours once a week, four rooms (one large), stairs, hall, two baths, windows, porches and driveway. Say I pay 350 baht per week.

I've not had these helpers a year yet but they are everything that was said by friends who recommended them: hard working, honest, and competent (#1 a terrific cook). I don't want to lose them.

But I've got to leave for a full month and possibly two. How does one handle this? I'm not made of money and it may be less. Maybe not, but those I've asked either have had a different long-term relationships or have not had such an extended time away.

I would be grateful if my arrangement were not questioned or alternatives suggested or flamers work out their anger here. It would help me if folks with recent experience or in the know (as longtime residents) would offer advice. Time is short, as this question has just arisen.

Many t'anks,

I expect the same thing when I am gone, so everyone gets the same salary- somerimes, if I am gone for more than a month, I pay them upfront, or I work a deal with a friend who pays them. I would only do this with folks I trust :)

Ditto above.

If it is only for a month and you want to keep them then pay them as usual. Otherwise they will need to find other work and might not return to you when you are back.

If they are loyal to you, then be loyal to them.

Good luck though whatever you decide.

Ditto above.

If it is only for a month and you want to keep them then pay them as usual. Otherwise they will need to find other work and might not return to you when you are back.

If they are loyal to you, then be loyal to them.

Good luck though whatever you decide.

I completely agree. They probably aren't going to wait around for you to get back. It sounds like they are good and you trust them (not easy to find), so I would try to hang onto them!

I go away for 1-2 month periods annually, and I always continue paying my housekeeper while I'm gone. One, it's not her fault that I come and go, and I feel like she deserves a steady job (the current one has been with me for about 2 years). Two, I expect paid vacation time at my job, so I consider it giving her the same. Three, I like having her around to check on my place periodically when I'm away. Four, I want her there when I return.....I definitely don't want to deal with finding someone new I can trust. My housekeeper appreciates that I treat her well, and in return she works hard and goes out of her way to do nice things for me.

If you can afford it, I would suggest continuing to pay your workers.

Is there any work you can have them do while you're gone, i.e. big cleaning jobs that are a pain to do when people are living in the home? Things like cleaning the carpets, stripping and waxing floors, removing items from shelves and drawers, cleaning the the items and the furniture before replacing them (with the clothing re-folded more neatly), oiling the wooden furniture, paneling and trim in the home, etc, etc. If they're into gardening, perhaps there are some projects they can do in your garden, such as dividing plants, pruning shrubs, washing concrete surfaces, etc.. Also your car -- does it need a good, thorough detailing? Back when we lived in the high-rent area of CM, we used to watch our neighbor's two maids clean the owner's car very carefully every Saturday morning.

I agree with all the previous posters that you should continue to pay the staff as normal if you want to keep them.

Thanks all!

Doesn't amount to much anyway, I realize, and yes, puttering in the garden, improvements in some areas such as drawers, prepping for my return date, and regular salary seems the best thing to do and will be worth it too. I really must learn to say, "Have fun!" in the right way as well. Plus you've confirmed that such a suggestion wouldn't be taken as being from a particularly dumb farang or otherwise unusual.