Tourism Strategy Ready For Next Thai Govt

webfact

"In addition to all of these, industry needs a keen person to lead the sector, as there are many disturbing issues," she said. And these disturbing issue are? My guess is, Taxi rip offs, Tuk Tuk rip offs, double pricing rip offs, tour operator rip offs, tour groups sent to souvenir shops instead of going on prescribe visits rip offs....or maybe just class them all under Rips offs the minute you get in the country.

Strange, I've been coming to Thailand for years and have been staying here the past few years and have never been ripped off. Guess I've been lucky.

Well either Lucky,or not too observant?

Actually, just being a bit street smart. I fly into Bkk every week and take my taxi from the arrival level rather than the departure level. Not so much as to save the Thb 50 surcharge but to avoid the queues. I know where I'm going and how much it costs - the taxi drivers will of course not want to use the meter and charge more, so it's a simple matter of closing the door and moving to the next taxi in line. I take taxis every night, either from soi 22, or soi Cowboi or Patpong - always insist on using the meter and there will always be plenty of decent taxi drivers. I even took a taxi from Silom on the night of 14 April (Songkran time) and the taxi driver used the meter.

Tuk tuk's - simple matter of negotiating the price in advance. Buyer / seller willing? Where's the rip off?

Double pricing rip offs - no idea what this is.

Tour operator rip offs? Prices for entries are clearly indicated, don't forget that tour operators are businesses, not charity organisations, so they have to make a profit.

Tour groups sent to souvenir shops? Standard industry practice all over the world. How else do you think that tour fares can be so cheap for tour groups? (I should know, I have been working in this industry for over 20 years)

My point is that rip offs do happen - not only in Thailand, but in practically every country around the world. However, this is not the reason for decreased tourism. Some posters have commented on the downside of either visiting or living in Thailand, but these are off topic.