Which Hardware To Run Utorrent

Oink

Since my wife has discovered she can download TV programs from the UK using UTorrent my poor high end laptop is running hot 24/7 peer sharing. This cannot be doing it any good. I went to TukCom in Pattaya and all they could suggest it they build a desktop with extra cooling fans to run UTorrent. Seems a bit excessive. I was told that a cheap laptop (well not that cheap as you need HDMI) would suffer the same overheating problem due to the high data exchange rate. I also looked at small servers approx 7,000 Baht but they say they can download UTorrent but say nothing about uploading as is the principal of peer sharing! Would something like a Samsung Tab do the job or would that overheat as well? Cannot find anything on the web re this! Any suggestions so I can get my laptop back would be appreciated :ermm:

a cheap second hand laptop would be okay, or a media player

Mine is 5 years old and is on 24/7 connected to Utorrent.

Added - However a media player will normally only connect to Bittorrent.

Edited by beano2274

Use a local seedbox. The locals called them Colocation.

For 300GB space probably about 500 baht a month they leave it on 24/7 and you access the UTorrent tru a web interface.

You FTP to extract the file.

For ages we were running a cheap and cheerful 2500 Baht P4 machine with a 300G drive installed, ran 24/7 with no problem.

Torrents require little computing power so no real idea why your lappie is getting hot.

We now use a seedbox (ours is in Belgium) with a 1G connection to the net, FTP to download the programs overnight.

Why not look at a NAS (Network attached storage device), these consist of a large hard disk (1Tb+), a network connection and torrent client. You simply access them via your browser or directly over your network, for a 1Tb model cost is 4850 baht. They a are nice clean solution and also low power usage. In terms of network you only need a spare port on your network, if you don't have one you can pick up a PnP Network switch for less than 1000 baht.

Example product here : Buffalo Nas Device

Why not look at a NAS (Network attached storage device), these consist of a large hard disk (1Tb+), a network connection and torrent client. You simply access them via your browser or directly over your network, for a 1Tb model cost is 4850 baht. They a are nice clean solution and also low power usage. In terms of network you only need a spare port on your network, if you don't have one you can pick up a PnP Network switch for less than 1000 baht.

PM thanks for the info. I did consider this as I also looked at small servers approx 7,000 Baht but they say they can download UTorrent but say nothing about uploading as is the principal of peer sharing! Will this upload as well as download so she can get the points? This was my concern as there is no suggestion on the box that it could!

PM thanks for the info. I did consider this as I also looked at small servers approx 7,000 Baht but they say they can download UTorrent but say nothing about uploading as is the principal of peer sharing! Will this upload as well as download so she can get the points? This was my concern as there is no suggestion on the box that it could!

They use the utorrent client that support all the features, including seeding and adding torrents.

Buffalo Bit Torrent Info

You can also now get TV's with network connections that can access your downloads direct, now that's a nice solution.

Edited by phuket Mike

For 300GB space probably about 500 baht a month they leave it on 24/7 and you access the UTorrent tru a web interface.

Agreed.

It would help if the OP could give some sort of usage estimates: no. of concurrent torrents, up/down, current network/bandwidth, any ratio issues or concerns? Are all the sources in the UK?

I pay 3,600 per year for 100 GB of storage, 6 Mega BYTES per second download (48 mega-Bits per second), unlimited upload speed, 25 concurrent torrents, 5 downloading. There are some other interesting and unique advantages; lots of stuff is already on the seedbox so you get it at 48 mega Bits per second, like a 4 GB ISO (with Thai subs) in ~ 4 minutes! Now if the RTP would let some of the T sites re-open after the Silom/Songkhran dancing girl fiasco we'd be better off. Day to day to now.

Agreed.

It would help if the OP could give some sort of usage estimates: no. of concurrent torrents, up/down, current network/bandwidth, any ratio issues or concerns? Are all the sources in the UK?

I pay 3,600 per year for 100 GB of storage, 6 Mega BYTES per second download (48 mega-Bits per second), unlimited upload speed, 25 concurrent torrents, 5 downloading. There are some other interesting and unique advantages; lots of stuff is already on the seedbox so you get it at 48 mega Bits per second, like a 4 GB ISO (with Thai subs) in ~ 4 minutes! Now if the RTP would let some of the T sites re-open after the Silom/Songkhran dancing girl fiasco we'd be better off. Day to day to now.

Good deal !! :o

I agree, buy yourself a NAS with build-in torrent down loader

At my home I have a NSA-220 - http://www.zyxel.co.th/web/product_family_detail.php?PC1indexflag=20050125090459&CategoryGroupNo=758BFE64-3A95-463C-9E1E-3D30E3B58D9C

Bought it in February 2009 for TB 7.990 and two WD 750GB for TB 4.600 = TB 17.190 (run in RAID 1 mode)

Use it also to share files between my laptop and desktop and as a backup device.

Uses only a few watt and is downloading the torrents for you - when finished I leave them on the NAS and after I watched the movie I delete them.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Cloggie

IMHO a cheap (old?) desk top should be quite sufficient, and probably better cooled

than a laptop.

No great cpu power needed, just disk space, if you are a serious user?

I don't quite understand the suggestion for a feedbox. You still have to download the files from the seedbox to your pc and that's going to be just as much load as downloading it from anywhere else.

A NAS with build-in torrent downloader sounds cool, but in this case I think it would be better value for the OP to build a cheap standard desktop PC. That way the Laptop remains free for other usage.

you could also buy a cheap router that can run ddwrt/tomato and run your bittorrent client directly from there.

Running a bittorrent client on a Tomato router? Interesting idea! Have you actually tried that?

You'd still have to have some external storage running to store the downloads on though and find a way to mount it on the router.

you could also buy a cheap router that can run ddwrt/tomato and run your bittorrent client directly from there.

Running a bittorrent client on a Tomato router? Interesting idea! Have you actually tried that?

I have a home server/torrentbox/htpc so I did not have to but many bt clients are available via optware (rtorrent, ctorrent, transmission, etc...)

more about optware installation here: http://tomatousb.org/tut:optware-installation

packages list: http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ddwrt/cross/stable/

You'd still have to have some external storage running to store the downloads on though and find a way to mount it on the router.

many routers have one or more usb ports nowadays, just plug some external storage in it and you're good to go. mounting them is dead simple, there's an automount feature in tomato ! (or just add your device to fstab).

http://ompldr.org/vOTR3bQ/tomato.png

The NAS Box is independent of the laptop, it has a bit torrent client built in, the client is accessed via a browser interface. All the processing and downloading is done within the box. For 5000 baht for 1Tb box it has to be easier and cheaper than a standalone PC. Plus also its power consumption is is much less.

Plus with support for DLNA, if you have a new TV many of them support this so allowing you to access your storage directly from your TV. I haven't gone that far yet but I have seen it in action, with the TV remote you can browse your download library.

The Buffalo NAS box sounds neat with built-in bittorrent client, but how is it for cooling? I've found that even in a PC cabinet with 4 large fans I've still had to mount individual fans on each disk drive to keep them appropriately cooled. Does those NAS cabinets provide enough cooling or have space to attach a cooler to the disks?

daul-fan-hard-disk-cooler.jpg

The Buffalo NAS box sounds neat with built-in bittorrent client, but how is it for cooling? I've found that even in a PC cabinet with 4 large fans I've still had to mount individual fans on each disk drive to keep them appropriately cooled. Does those NAS cabinets provide enough cooling or have space to attach a cooler to the disks?

daul-fan-hard-disk-cooler.jpg

Cooling us always a problem in non-air-conditioned environments especially in Thailand, my biggest problem has always been the accumulation of dust preventing good air-flow and clogging fans, I now use a vacuum cleaner once a month to clean the inside of my PC, and I don't have any problems with heat.

Looking at the spec of Buffalo NAS boxes they all have a 2 inch fan built-in (replaceable) and with the disk mounted close to the external chassis they should have enough cooling. I have an external USB disk, with a 7200rpm 500Gb drive in it, with no fan and to date (had it 12 months) it hasn't shutdown because of over heating.

I have checked the Buffalo forum and there was only one thread related to overheating and that was for one of their older models. The boxes have good power management, the disk 'sleeping' after a certain period of non-activity so this will also help.

If he is runnning the laptop 27x7 to achieve good ratios then a seedbox may be the answer.

Then the laptop can be run for shorter times to just download what you want to watch?

I use a seedbox to download and seed anything and everythng, especially FREE torrents and I have high ratios. The SB has a 100Mb/s line. :D

My home bandwidth is kept for the shows I really want to watch.