Ex-Premier Thaksin Return To Thailand Not Possible: Deputy PM Suthep

webfact

Ex-premier Thaksin return to Thailand not possible: Deputy PM Suthep

image_201106171711119D153944-AF59-C5CF-1A4FDF711684BFD5.jpg

BANGKOK, June 17 – Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Friday said it was impossible for ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return to Thailand later this year.

Speaking to reporters in his capacity as Democrat Party secretary-general, Mr Suthep said it is not possible for Mr Thaksin to return home, otherwise he would in effect be the only Thai who is above the law, that is the judgement of the courts.

The fugitive former prime minister now lives abroad, mainly in Dubai, to avoid a two-year prison sentence for violating laws on conflict of interest which was imposed in absentia in 2008.

Mr Suthep responded to comments by his party’s main rival, Yingluck Shinawatra, youngest sister of Mr Thaksin, candidate for prime minister of the Pheu Thai Party, regarding her brother’s possible homecoming later this year to attend his eldest daughter’s wedding.

“As a father, he certainly would like to attend his daughter’s wedding,” Ms Yingluck said, adding that she has had telephone conversations with her brother regularly.

Regarding the move of the Pheu Thai prime ministerial hopeful to press ahead with a constitutional amendment to grant amnesty for her brother and other politicians, Mr Suthep dismissed the attempt, saying it was against the rule of law.

“All 65 million Thais might find it unacceptable as it is unfair and goes against international practice,” he said,

“Even if the Pheu Thai Party wins the general election, it has no legitimacy to bring Mr Thaksin back home as it goes against the rule of law.” Mr Suthep emphasised.

The Democrat party executive said he was unsurprised by Mr Thaksin’s move as the former premier formerly created conditions to manoeuvre at the right time regardless of winning or losing the election. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-06-17

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Speaking to reporters in his capacity as Democrat Party secretary-general, Mr Suthep said it is not possible for Mr Thaksin to return home, otherwise he would in effect be the only Thai who is above the law, that is the judgement of the courts."

What a joke ! As the wikileaks site shows, the laws have been modified after the coup to justify the coup and to find Mr Thaksin guilty of corruption. He can't be convicted for breaching a law that didn't exist at the time he was PM.

Please check here : http://en.wikipedia....i/Retroactivity

Thaksin is not above of the law, he is a victim of a law that has been corrupted by the coup makers and their appointed government.

Wikileaks documents are now available, check for yourself.

Edited by JurgenG

"Speaking to reporters in his capacity as Democrat Party secretary-general, Mr Suthep said it is not possible for Mr Thaksin to return home, otherwise he would in effect be the only Thai who is above the law, that is the judgement of the courts."

What a joke ! As the wikileaks site shows, the laws have been modified after the coup to justify the coup and to find Mr Thaksin guilty of corruption. He can't be convicted for breaching a law that didn't exist at the time he was PM.

Thaksin is not above of the law, he is a victim of a law that has been corrupted by the coup makers and their appointed government.

The law did exist at the time he was PM, and moreover, at the time of his trial he publicly declared that he would respect the court's verdict, whatever it may be. Of course how much respect he actually had, could be called into question by the pastry box incident, but anyway, those were his words... words which sharply he turned his back on the moment they ruled against him. What a surprise that was...

"All 65 million Thais might find it unacceptable"

All of 'em? Ha, ha! Wait and see K. Suthep, wait and see.

Suthept is living in fantasy land - most Thais I meet (up North and in BKK) support PT - I'm sure they will win the largest single vote for any party and have a mandate

A slip on Suthep's part for sure. He should have said "all Thais who believe in the rule of law might find it unacceptable".

You wait and see. It ain't gonna happen. Ms Yingluck may get in, she may form a coalition, but Thaksin isn't coming back. Actually, for the things he cares about, it's not that important to come back. It's not like he has any regard for the place or people. He can mine Thailand from afar, just like his blood diamonds.

God, I hope i never meet one of you people that love the taste of his shit.

A slip on Suthep's part for sure. He should have said "all Thais who believe in the rule of law might find it unacceptable".

Agree with you, a slip of tongue

He never intended to say "million", just 65, the number of people who support the democrats smile.gif

He never intended to say "million", just 65, the number of people who support the democrats smile.gif

You seem to be under the misapprehension that for one to find the idea of a convicted criminal being able to get off from serving time unacceptable, one must also be a Democrat supporter. The two do not go hand in hand. All that is required is a belief in that nobody is above the law. A belief that PTP supporters clearly do not share.

Rix, you must be talking about my wife.:lol:

Most if not ALL his charges were from Pre-1997 constitution laws, not post coup laws. His crimes have been based on earlier laws he had too much clout to be subjected to, remove the clout and the prosecutions could resume.

Hense his needing to skip the country; too many counts to beat without a general amnesty for himself for all crimes.

Edited by animatic

Wow, a lot of passion here for a bunch who can't vote.

I started out thinking that Abhist was my preference because he's a pretty smart guy, but it is clear that he is not acceptable to the majority of Thai's. Furthermore I think he botched the red demonstrations in BKK and his lack of leadership facilitated that terrible outcome. It's great to have intelligence, but politics is a dirty business and it's about using power intelligently. If his inability to control the red mob in BKK is any indication of his abilities what will he do with the social unrest that will occur if he is elected?

Thaksin is a bad guy, but he has a proven record of managing things that need to be managed. I think that foreign investors won't care who is elected as long as the country doesn't explode into chaos.

Bottom line; I don't care who gets elected as long as they keep a grip on the country's stability and keep things rolling along.

I spent my passion on Obama and he's been a disappointment.

God, I hope i never meet one of you people that love the taste of his shit.

AS the election draws near the military cheerleaders grow increasingly deranged.

I'm not a military cheerleader, far from it. I see them as largely inept and embodying many of the worst characteristics of Thai society. Still, everything is relative and Thaksin (because of his autocratic ways, not because I disagreed with him) was a cancer that would have consumed this country. Samak was right about that. He could buy up everyone.

Surely only those that wished to be bought, bugger, I forgot this is Thailand.:lol:

Listen to this. No matter what the polls say or the boob tube Dems will continue to enjoy their current position in the Government. The Reds/ PTP supporters do not out number the silent majority that is a fact. You red/Thaskin supporters who's head's and ego's are is inflated as your hero's is. To claim victory and to run on a false platform to help one person is in no way going to happen. Forget the army getting involved it will be the silent majority that will make the red head's spin.

I started out thinking that Abhist was my preference because he's a pretty smart guy, but it is clear that he is not acceptable to the majority of Thai's. Furthermore I think he botched the red demonstrations in BKK and his lack of leadership facilitated that terrible outcome. It's great to have intelligence, but politics is a dirty business and it's about using power intelligently. If his inability to control the red mob in BKK is any indication of his abilities what will he do with the social unrest that will occur if he is elected?

Thaksin is a bad guy, but he has a proven record of managing things that need to be managed. I think that foreign investors won't care who is elected as long as the country doesn't explode into chaos.

Bottom line; I don't care who gets elected as long as they keep a grip on the country's stability and keep things rolling along.

I agree, but for me after living here as long as I have, I just cannot help myself from spewing a few lines on TV, Abhisit I believe can achieve certain goals and for all of his faults, I believe he is the better choice under these current circumstances. Someone once told me " A perfectly believable falsehood is more useful than the inexplicable truth"

Listen to this. No matter what the polls say or the boob tube Dems will continue to enjoy their current position in the Government. The Reds/ PTP supporters do not out number the silent majority that is a fact. You red/Thaskin supporters who's head's and ego's are is inflated as your hero's is. To claim victory and to run on a false platform to help one person is in no way going to happen. Forget the army getting involved it will be the silent majority that will make the red head's spin.

That's what I think too, but only if they try to rehabilitate Thaksin. Otherwise people will wait and see IMO.

I agree, but for me after living here as long as I have, I just cannot help myself from spewing a few lines on TV, Abhisit I believe can achieve certain goals and for all of his faults, I believe he is the better choice under these current circumstances. Someone once told me " A perfectly believable falsehood is more useful than the inexplicable truth"

It's not whether Mr. Abhisit can achieve HIS goals but more whether the other members of his party will go along with his ideals.

The other day Mr.Abhisit in a statement about peoples perception that he had done nothing in regards to corruption which in his own words is on the increase said that he had spoken to I believe he said two officials and pointed out that allegations had be made against them concerning corruption and that they had resigned, he actually named them, now does anyone really believe that these people would really have resigned on the strength of an allegation, more likely there was proof and that is why they resigned, probably re-instated at a later date should the Democrats retain power.

I believe the man is honest but fundamentally weak and is just the accepted face of the Democrats.

For some reason, some on this thread remind me of these guys...

Briton-Jeff-Savage.jpg30130899-01.jpg

Jurgen you carry on with this same old tired and hackneyed nonsense without ever producing a grain of proof. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Thaksin's return "impossible", Thai Deputy PM says

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's government on Friday dismissed talk of a return from exile of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra as "impossible", saying a proposed amnesty floated by an opposition party would be illegal and unfair to all Thais.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said the fugitive billionaire, who controls the opposition Puea Thai Party from his Dubai mansion, can return to Thailand only if he agreed to serve a two-year jail sentence for corruption.

Thaksin told Reuters in an interview in Dubai on Thursday that he hoped to return to Thailand by December to attend his eldest daughter's wedding.

Continues:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/6/17/worldupdates/2011-06-17T191436Z_01_NOOTR_RTRMDNC_0_-577577-1&sec=Worldupdates

reuterslogo.jpg

-- Reuters 2011-06-17

You seem to be under the misapprehension that for one to find the idea of a convicted criminal being able to get off from serving time unacceptable, one must also be a Democrat supporter. The two do not go hand in hand. All that is required is a belief in that nobody is above the law. A belief that PTP supporters clearly do not share.

Your final sentence suggests that you are suffering from a similar kind of misapprehension about PTP supporters. They may not all want Thaksin back. Some people might vote PTP not because of Thaksin but because they simply dislike the status quo. They just might not want the Dems and their backers back in power.

Edited by hanuman1

President Ford pardoned Nixon, there must be some sort of mechanism for the same thing to happen in Thailand.

I'm sure Thaksin is ready to pardon Abhisit biggrin.gif

K. Chalerm who has been appointed by Ms. Yingluck to organise the amnesty which has no priority, has said that the amnesty will be for about all, except k. Abhisit and k. Suthep of course who have to answer for the 'peaceful protesters, not terrorists' in March - May 2010. All this under the motto of reconciliation and 'justice shall be served' and under double standards we all fight for ( or was it against?) <_<

Thaksin's return (as stated by Suthep) can be at any time he wishes. He will be arrested on the spot and taken to jail. He can apply for bail, but in his case it would obviously be denied as he has fled the jurisdiction of the courts already. He can then be arraigned on all the other counts against him.

So all those opinion polls are wrong except yours? Most Thais don't want the Democrats I will write to you again in 2 and a half weeks time when we have an elected female PM not some fix PM supported by the rich elite and army. I don't think the international community will tolerate another coup/fix government only 2 and a bit weeks bring it on!

Thaksin's return (as stated by Suthep) can be at any time he wishes. He will be arrested on the spot and taken to jail. He can apply for bail, but in his case it would obviously be denied as he has fled the jurisdiction of the courts already. He can then be arraigned on all the other counts against him.

Isnt this a country where laws including the constitution are regularly changed by whoever is in power? I think you might be in for a surprise.

TIT.;)