Duration Of Tourist Visa To The Us

A couple Qs and points here:

-- Her first U.S. visa?

-- Does it say something line must be used within 90 days? Or does it say good for only a 90-day stay in the U.S.? Two different items.

-- The normal period of permitted to stay in the U.S., as stamped in by the U.S. Immigration folks at POE is for six months, this is probably just so they don't have to keep resetting their stamps.

-- If the visa says the stay is limited to 90 days, it'd probably be best to adhere to that period, even tho she might be stamped in for six months. This point might come up on subsequent visa applications.

-- If this is her first visa a limited entry might be because the ConOff wants to make sure, to the extent possible, that she comes back. Subsequent applications would probably be multiple entries and perhaps even of 10-year validity. With, of course, the normal six months stay allowed each time.

-- Tourist visas can be extended by Immigration in the U.S. but would need a good reason, something other than touring.

-- And, yep will have to go through the entire process again. My now wife's on her fourth run through the process, second 10-year visa.

Mac

A couple Qs and points here:

-- Her first U.S. visa?

-- Does it say something line must be used within 90 days? Or does it say good for only a 90-day stay in the U.S.? Two different items.

-- The normal period of permitted to stay in the U.S., as stamped in by the U.S. Immigration folks at POE is for six months, this is probably just so they don't have to keep resetting their stamps.

-- If the visa says the stay is limited to 90 days, it'd probably be best to adhere to that period, even tho she might be stamped in for six months. This point might come up on subsequent visa applications.

-- If this is her first visa a limited entry might be because the ConOff wants to make sure, to the extent possible, that she comes back. Subsequent applications would probably be multiple entries and perhaps even of 10-year validity. With, of course, the normal six months stay allowed each time.

-- Tourist visas can be extended by Immigration in the U.S. but would need a good reason, something other than touring.

-- And, yep will have to go through the entire process again. My now wife's on her fourth run through the process, second 10-year visa.

Mac

Thanks. Yes, it's her first visa. I've not seen it yet. She will be in the US on the 21st. 3 months in ok. I was just hoping for a 1 year multiple entry.