Planking (In Thai)

farangnahrak

The 'planking' fad has made it to Thailand . . . I had to look twice to believe it lol . . . even the OfficialPlanking facebook channel has tons of Thais posting pics of themselves doing it . . .

Anyway, what is 'planking' called in Thai? At the moment I'm using tap-sap . . .

It is called ----

wait for it

Planking.

2 newer fads are hitting now --- 1 is levitation photos ... the other is the photo of the old style of sitting but in strange locations. (seated on one hip as if in a temple facing a Buddha image or monk so both feet face backwards.

geez no one read the last sentence of my post, eh? =P

Anyway, thanks, the tap sap was right after all.

In addition, I just heard of yet another called เลทิเวติ้ง (levitating). I've even seen pics where they combine the various styles . . .

geez no one read the last sentence of my post, eh? =P

Anyway, thanks, the tap sap was right after all.

In addition, I just heard of yet another called เลทิเวติ้ง (levitating). I've even seen pics where they combine the various styles . . .

I read it -- and Thais call it .... 'planking' as the fad itself is a loaner fad, so the word is a loaner word ---- if you read the first reply you will see 2 newer fads listed (levitating) and the newest one which does have a Thai name pappiap Thai .... the pappiap Thai facebook page is posted above.

Came across this pic of one of the red shirts 'planking' on the Democracy Monument in BKK's Ratchadamnoen Rd in yesterday's Thai newspapers. You can see his legs sticking out over a sign saying 'People died here'.

swa742.jpg

Show this pic...
Sorry for being Off Topic, but wife was angry when she saw that picture, she said something like, why does a monk do that.

Monks are supposed to act as role models for those practicing Buddhism; in return they are shown respect by the laymen. Most Thai people take it very seriously whenever a monk does something out of the ordinary that is not compatible with the idea of what monks should be doing. Hard for modern Westerners to grasp, perhaps, but Thais are taught since childhood that religion, along with the monarchy and nation, is one of the three pillars upon which their society rests, and therefore they have to venerate and safeguard it.

Secularization in practice is common, but secularization in thought and speech, for the most part, is not.

Monks are from the general population so it is natural that they reflect that fact. Not so few of the younger monks and novices become novices from an early age because they do not have that many options, there may be problems in the family or they may have no family at all. So with that starting point, perhaps it is not so strange that problems are seen now and then.