Universities

thaimate

I can't answer your question about Thai universities near Pattaya but I would like to respectfully suggest that If his English is already perfect then he'd probably be better off going to a university in an English speaking country.

Should he ever decide to work in the so-called first world he will often find that a Thai degree simply isn't recognised (speaking from the experience of numerous Thai friends) and may have to get himself a western Master's degree to overcome that problem.

Edited by Trembly

His school probably has a guidance counselor that can provide information.

In my experience, the kids graduating know a lot about what's available.

Hard to answer the original question without knowing what he wants to study.

Also, depending on what he wants to study, his expectations might not be realistic.

What is he thinking he wants to do?

Good luck.

Been there, done that.

Take a look at this site.

http://studyinthailand.org/study_abroad_thailand_university/budget_cost_of_living.html

An example of cost; KKU, in Thai, Chemistry Dept =10k a term.

Edited by TerryLH

His school probably has a guidance counselor that can provide information.

In my experience, the kids graduating know a lot about what's available.

Hard to answer the original question without knowing what he wants to study.

Also, depending on what he wants to study, his expectations might not be realistic.

What is he thinking he wants to do?

Good luck.

Been there, done that.

Take a look at this site.

http://studyinthaila..._of_living.html

An example of cost; KKU, in Thai, Chemistry Dept =10k a term.

The Asian University of Science and Technology is located south of Pattaya, near Huay Yai. It offers a range of degrees in English, at a cost of 300,000 Baht annually. However, student numbers have been declining substantially in recent years. I understand that the current enrolment is around 100 students altogether.

I would look at Bangkok, there are many accredited University there. Maybe not what you want but maybe the best opption.

My Thai chums who failed to get European (albeit anal / thorough north-western European) employers to take their degrees seriously graduated from loud-name universities in Bangkok.

To the OP : It all depends on what your son's objectives are.

If your son just wants a degree for access to the Thai job market then just about any will do.

If your son wants a degree for Thai social-currency and intends to stay in Thailand after he graduates then he'll be wasting his time unless he goes to a loud-name one in Bangkok.

If your son is actually interested in educating himself, but can't bring himself to leave Thailand during or after his degree then he should go to Bangkok.

If your son is seriously interested in educating himself then he will try to go abroad.

If he has any international aspirations at all he'll be best served by a degree from an English speaking country (seeing as he already speaks English).

He may qualify for reduced / subsidised / delayed payment of tuition fees in your country if he has citizenship (and perhaps a pre-qualifying period of residency).

Trust me, I'm a Thai!

jap.gif

I can't answer your question about Thai universities near Pattaya but I would like to respectfully suggest that If his English is already perfect then he'd probably be better off going to a university in an English speaking country.

Should he ever decide to work in the so-called first world he will often find that a Thai degree simply isn't recognised (speaking from the experience of numerous Thai friends) and may have to get himself a western Master's degree to overcome that problem.

Thanks for the advice ,he has already lived in the UK for many years (with his mum and me) and was schooled there ,although he wants to get a degree here ,working in the UK will not be a problem as my Brother owns his own company and would employ him or he has many contacts in the buisness world who would help out,that is if he wants to work in the UK , as in everything in this world its who and not what you know much of the time

Thanks for the advice ,he has already lived in the UK for many years (with his mum and me) and was schooled there ,although he wants to get a degree here ,working in the UK will not be a problem as my Brother owns his own company and would employ him or he has many contacts in the buisness world who would help out,that is if he wants to work in the UK , as in everything in this world its who and not what you know much of the time

Fair enough. Sounds like the world is his hoi and good luck to him! If I was me in his position I would go to a Bangkok university and have the best of both parties. Hardly a million miles away is it. laugh.gif

Edited by Trembly

The real question should be .... what does he want a degree in?

It sounds as if Thailand > Pattaya is where he would like to have his university experience, the degree content being largely immaterial.

It sounds as if Thailand > Pattaya is where he would like to have his university experience, the degree content being largely immaterial.

If he were wanting to study Engineering (in Thai) then KMITL would probably be close enough (just before the airport on the way into BKK). If he wants to study Mass Communications then he'd want BU and need to be in BKK.

"It sounds as if Thailand > Pattaya is where he would like to have his university experience, the degree content being largely immaterial."

Are you making assumptions, or do you know something that wasn't posted above?

First the young man has to decide what he wants to study, then he can look for where in Thailand that will be done.

"It sounds as if Thailand > Pattaya is where he would like to have his university experience, the degree content being largely immaterial."

Are you making assumptions, or do you know something that wasn't posted above?

First the young man has to decide what he wants to study, then he can look for where in Thailand that will be done.

An assumption based on what I know about university education in Thailand

+

A presupposition that the OP and his son are also clued up about university education in Thailand

+

What the OP has posted.

=

What I said.

Edited by Trembly

He is not sure yet what he wants to do in life(by his age i certainly did ,as little as possible :rolleyes: ) but yes he would like to stay close to Pattaya .

Is there a Rajaphat University in Pattaya? Does anybody know? Last I heard ,teachers from Rajaphat Suan Dusit University used to go to the Pattaya Campus to teach. That was in 2004.Any updates would be appreciated.

Edited by afarang

Is there a Rajaphat University in Pattaya? Does anybody know? Last I heard ,teachers from Rajaphat Suan Dusit University used to go to the Pattaya Campus to teach. That was in 2004.Any updates would be appreciated.

yep.... it has one campus on Tepprasit Rd., it's not a quality one. Poor!!!

Kaset Bang Pra is a good one -Gov. , Eng section? dunno

Burapa Uni, Bang sean - Gov , Eng section? dunno

Assumption - private - samutprakarn - English is a medium of instrution , Burmese , indian , Bangladesh, Thai, American, Vietnam,Chinese instructors. international

Huaqiao - private - bangna - Eng section? dunno