Rent A House In Pattaya By Realstate Agent

stockholm1995

I live in Sweden right now but will move back to Pattaya in a couple of months. I have been looking at rental ads and the rentals seem to be way overpriced. To ask for 40000-50000 baht / month (1 year lease) for a 2 bedrooms villa with swimming pool is ridiculous in the current economy.

My question is: how much of the asking price should i actually pay? I frequently hear that you shouldn't pay more than 70% of the asking price. Have any of you guys rented a villa in Pattaya during the latest months? Did you pay the asking price or were you abe to negotiate the price?

It is certainly a renters/buyers market so should be plenty of room for negotiation.

I rent a large 4 bedroom house with seperate maid quarters and large pool on nice estate in East Pattaya and have just agreed a rent reduction from 35k to 30k a month for a years contract. When I first rented it a year ago it was listed at 40k.

With so many empty properties around it was very easy to find and move into a property here - it took me 3 days from arriving to moving in going through an agent.

" I have been looking at rental ads and the rentals seem to be way overpriced."

You got that right. Rental prices and sale prices are both mostly way over the top. Not to mention the appalling condition of many properties.

And owners still wonder why properties dont find tenants and dont sell for years on end. :huh:

You got that right. Rental prices and sale prices are both mostly way over the top. Not to mention the appalling condition of many properties.

And owners still wonder why properties dont find tenants and dont sell for years on end. :huh:

The prices you see on the internet are way over the top. The best thing to do is to come here, stay in a hotel for a week and do some searching on your own (talk to expats from your country and look at advertisements posted where farangs like to shop for food).

To ask for 40000-50000 baht / month (1 year lease) for a 2 bedrooms villa with swimming pool is ridiculous.

Why? You don't give any information about it. "2 bedrooms" means nothing: I saw "3 bedrooms" house of 80 sqm only but one a "studio" of 220 sqm ;)

Where is this house? Lost in the dark side, or direct access on the beach?

What is the size of the land? of the pool? how many garages? in a village or isolated? alarms? security guards?

You can find big nice houses at a lot of more than 50,000 baht who worth this price. B)

.. is ridiculous in the current economy.

Why? Thailand economy is very healthy :)

PS: To help a little more. You have PLENTY of houses for rent at about 20,000 baht. And you can easily find one at 10 or 12,000 in one of the many villages where half of houses are empty...

You have first to decide/indicate what are your criteria so that we can tell you what it "should" cost to rent that.

The prices you see on the internet are way over the top. The best thing to do is to come here, stay in a hotel for a week and do some searching on your own (talk to expats from your country and look at advertisements posted where farangs like to shop for food).

Great advice. And, with a little patience and perseverence, I believe you can find what you're looking for @ (no more than) 30,000 baht/month.... good luck!

B)

I agree that you should come here and spend some time looking. Some of these places "look" great in the photos but not so great in person.

Most of the homes for farang's are designed to look appealing, but have cheap AC's (big electric costs) cheap furniture (uncomfortable) especially the beds. Check them out, most are like concrete. What appliances and eating utensils does it have? Does the bedding come with. Check to see what cable and internet is available TOT sucks where I'm at and 3BB has issues weekly, True has satellite dish's which can be installed and supplies the most English speaking channels. Where I'm at the cable sucks for English channels. Many of these "pretty" house's have plumbing problems and all have electrical issues. Plan to get tickled or zappedfrequently.

A big issue for me is peace and quiet. Check anyplace that your thinking of renting at night on the weekends. some are close to bars that play very loud music and have rowdy drunks running around. Security is a big issue. I personally wouldn't live in a development without a guarded gate manned by security people from a reputable agency. Many of these place try to save money and thus are hiring criminals to guard your stuff.

Look, look look and when you find a place ask to stay in it for a couple of weeks to be sure there are no unseen problems. Nothing is worse than being stuck in a bad house.

Yes, there is a lot of property in Pattaya, but after you have looked for awhile you will see that the good ones are all taken and that the good ones are worth the money. I rented my 2 bed, 2 bath with private pool with nice furniture and appliances and media stuff for 35,000/mo back in 2005/6 but had to drop it to 25,000 in 2010. I like many people would rather leave my house empty than rent it for less than 25,000. My first renter keeps calling me wanting to buy my place. He lived here for 2.5 years and loves it as I do. The electric averages 3500/month and if I do say so my self I love the place. It is quiet, secure, and private. There is a wall around the whole place and if I want to swim naked I can. I used to have some pretty wild parties here in my single years.

My development is full except for one beautiful 4-5 bedroom with a huge pool but the developer is building nearby. PM me for more info/advice.

good luck

Ride around on a motorbike in the area you want to live and look for signs. Dont use an agent as he will be adding in a fat commision. I rent a nece 2 bd house in the dark side for 7000 and the electric is only 500 mo. Many other falangs in the area rent the same too! Very comfortable and inexpensive to rent here.

Ride around on a motorbike in the area you want to live and look for signs. Dont use an agent as he will be adding in a fat commision. I rent a nece 2 bd house in the dark side for 7000 and the electric is only 500 mo. Many other falangs in the area rent the same too! Very comfortable and inexpensive to rent here.

Each to their own. Some people like to camp out, others like ot live in luxury and everywhere in between.

You can live here inexpensively if you wish, but it depends on your standard of living requiements and where you want to be located. For example I couldn't find a 7000 apartment I'd (actually we - as in married couple) want to live in and I could never use only 500 baht electric per month... and I would never want to live on the dark side.... but yes, it is easily done here.

My personal basics: Rent 25K, Electric 2K.

I would never just assume that a 40 or 50K apartment, condo or house is overpriced unless I've seen it first. They may be worth every baht.

Look on the bulletin boards at Carefour and Friendship markets. And it will always be called Carefour, change of ownership or not.

And also drive around the areas where you want to live, go into the developments which suit you and you will find houses for rent. NO agents, simply the owners inside. If there is a sign for an agent, have him come right out, and be prepared to drop the price a lot, as he has increased the price asked for by the owner substantially.

Forget the internet. Get out and drive around.

We rent a lovely 2 bed house on Eakmongkol 4 on Soi Khaotalo for 8,000 a month.

They are there we went through an agency name escapes me now but all our later dealings are with our landlady. She even buys us gifts for New year :-)

When you say "two bed house" do you mean an actual detached house? About using the internet, forget it (or at least forget it now).

Some of the Agents ask 50% on top of what the owner wants, never go through these sharks.

Absolute rubbish..agents will take 2 weeks for up to 6 months and 1 month for a years contract...and that comes out of the owners pocket not the tenant....another misconception of the real estate industry

Some of the Agents ask 50% on top of what the owner wants, never go through these sharks.

Absolute rubbish..agents will take 2 weeks for up to 6 months and 1 month for a years contract...and that comes out of the owners pocket not the tenant....another misconception of the real estate industry

Correct ESB7,And rentals are the same as sales prices, i doubt if ever the agent would advise the price - ALWAYS the landlord/seller, perhaps if they would ask the advice of experienced agents then some of the prices would not be so ........... erm... ambitious !