Mozilla Firefox 5.0

Supernova

Hasn't 4 only recently come out?

It was released (final release) on March 22 this year. Firefox 5 final release is due June 21. Pretty quick turnover for a major release. FF 6 goes Beta on July 5 and FF 7 moves to Aurora on the same date. Aurora is the experimental release channel.

Mind you, Mozilla hasn’t yet made the Firefox 5 release official. It is available on the FTP servers for now, and the official release might happen on June 21st. But that should not stop you from enjoying the stable release of the latest Firefox build, which is more about the improved performance, rather than redesigns.

More here

I'm still on 3.6 since Roboform have stopped providing support for Firefox 4 unless you buy their new version. Anyone recommend a free password manager that does online form filling like Roboform?

Good news that they have increased the speed, always like using Firefox but some of the other browsers are considerably faster. Will wait for the official release shortly to download, good news indeed.

Anyone recommend a free password manager that does online form filling like Roboform?

Firefox itself seems to remember nearly all this information for me. (Name, address, phone number etc. etc.)

Anyone recommend a free password manager that does online form filling like Roboform?

Firefox itself seems to remember nearly all this information for me. (Name, address, phone number etc. etc.)

I use more than one browser and more than one PC so I use the USB (portable) version of Roboform.

Edited by endure

Mozilla Firefox 5 officially released

The latest version of Firefox has the following changes:

I just upgraded to Firefox 5.0, and was dreading the update because of major extensions being not compatible (typical Firefox issues). To my surprise I only had 8 extensions that weren't compatible. What an improvement! Six were easily rectified by modifying the install.rdf files. However my most important extension/plugin to integrate Free Download Manager is definitely not compatible. I checked the Free Download Manager website and they are working on an upgrade.

I can say the upgrade to version 5 was not nearly as painful as the upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0.

So far, I like what I see. It is considerably faster.

I just upgraded to Firefox 5.0, and was dreading the update because of major extensions being not compatible (typical Firefox issues). To my surprise I only had 8 extensions that weren't compatible. What an improvement! Six were easily rectified by modifying the install.rdf files. However my most important extension/plugin to integrate Free Download Manager is definitely not compatible. I checked the Free Download Manager website and they are working on an upgrade.

I can say the upgrade to version 5 was not nearly as painful as the upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0.

What funny is that in just a few weeks from now Firefox 6,7,8 will follow. I wonder how the extension developers will adapt to this.

What funny is that in just a few weeks from now Firefox 6,7,8 will follow. I wonder how the extension developers will adapt to this.

Well, I looked at most of my extensions that are compatible with Firefox 5. Most have the max version set at 6.x with some having the max version set to 7.0. So, maybe they are planning ahead. It just might be the extension developers are preparing for the rapid releases of Firefox over the next few months. My assumption was ver 6 is going to beta and ver 7 was going to alpha next month. I haven't heard about a version 8 yet. It would be nice if they were ahead of the game for a change.

Edited by BB1950

IMO Chrome is much better than firefox and runs much faster on my windows 7 laptop. It doesnt have all the nice addons like firefox, but it has all the addons I need like firebug, web developer tools etc.

I frequently use IE (useless, but IE9 seems ok), Safari (looks like #@#@), Opera (see safari), Firefox (used to be my favourite) and Chrome (@#@#'s on the rest, my fav and the fastest)