Cheapest Area Of Thailand But With Broadband Internet?

italian2011

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) I really need a boring place where I can keep studying by distance (hence my ABSOLUTE Internet need) and then come back to expensive Australia where I currently live

3) Internet connection must be via landline broadband, no wireless (this is my preference since there are too many doubts about long term exposure of RMF so I don't want to be exposed to 12 hours cell phone RMF emissions, I have done plenty of research so don't argue over this, keep on topic please)

You may find it quite difficult to obtain both.

If by 'boring place' you mean that you want to rent a place that is detached i.e. not in an apartment block, if it doesn't already have a land-line installed, and many don't, it can be very difficult to get one installed.

5km from Chiang Mai

Walked into a 3BB shop and signed a contract, they put the line in my rented house the next week and I have 7mb for 631bht a month. Connection in my name I promise to hire for 1 year.

Been off 1 afternoon in the last 6 months.

Looked at a nice new furnished house to rent last week, asking 8000bht a month 3 bedroom house, 2 aircons, nice lawn.

3BB will install. Unfurnished 2 bedroom house on same estate asking 4000bht a month.

Edited by OlafStapleton

2) I really need a boring place where I can keep studying by distance (hence my ABSOLUTE Internet need) and then come back to expensive Australia where I currently live

3) Internet connection must be via landline broadband, no wireless (this is my preference since there are too many doubts about long term exposure of RMF so I don't want to be exposed to 12 hours cell phone RMF emissions, I have done plenty of research so don't argue over this, keep on topic please)

If by 'boring place' you mean that you want to rent a place that is detached i.e. not in an apartment block, if it doesn't already have a land-line installed, and many don't, it can be very difficult to get one installed.

5km from Chiang Mai

Walked into a 3BB shop and signed a contract, they put the line in my rented house the next week and I have 7mb for 631bht a month. Connection in my name I promise to hire for 1 year.

Looked at a nice new furnished house to rent last week, asking 8000bht a month 3 bedroom house, 2 aircons, nice lawn.

3BB will install. Unfurnished 2 bedroom house on same estate asking 4000bht a month.

I did qualify it later by adding "where I live"

That is what the OP wants isn't it, different peoples experiences in different parts of Thailand.

I'm glad that your experience of 3BB has been plain sailing so far.... however, some have not been quite so lucky Examples if the internet is so important to the OP and he suffers one iota of what other people have been through, well.

Yes, there IS a huge difference between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai. Chiang Rai is a tiny city and more like a country town. Chiang Mai is a medium size city with many more resources. Chiang Rai is a 3 to 4 hour bus ride north of Chiang Mai. They both suffer from the occasional smoky season during March. but it didn't happen this past season. Chiang Rai has virtually no night life. Chiang Mai has enough but not in comparison to Bangkok or Pattaya. Chiang Mai has access to the university. I don't believe Chiang Rai has a university, but I'm sure it has broad band internet. I would also expect Chiang Rai has less expensive accommodation considering it doesn't offer much else. But, that isn't always the case in many rural districts of Thailand..

I got that....but according to some posts here, it seems there are 3 places:

1) Chiang Mai

2) Chiang Rai

and 3) CHANG RAI unless the map I posted was wrong and that's nothing else that number 2.

I won't be surprised since people can't even be sure on how to spell the capital. rolleyes.gif

I don't get it.

Seems the OP has no clue.

The OP should travel a few months South to North, I traveled over here for 10 years before deciding and still moved 1100kms North 4 years on.

Yes the OP has no clue, that's why I came to this forum in order to get a clue. I don't have 10 years to make a decision.

5km from Chiang Mai

That sounds very good, I'll start my research from there then. Got a website for the internet service provider? Actually...if they don't speak any English in rural areas, how will I ever do anything? ohmy.gif

Thank you

Edited by italian2011

Pattaya offers the best bang for your dollar...

Which is of course why most people live there. :rolleyes:

boom boom .

imo. pattaya is not exspensive

if you want to die of boredom ,

then it,s jungleville .

:jap:

Yes, there IS a huge difference between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai. Chiang Rai is a tiny city and more like a country town. Chiang Mai is a medium size city with many more resources. Chiang Rai is a 3 to 4 hour bus ride north of Chiang Mai. They both suffer from the occasional smoky season during March. but it didn't happen this past season. Chiang Rai has virtually no night life. Chiang Mai has enough but not in comparison to Bangkok or Pattaya. Chiang Mai has access to the university. I don't believe Chiang Rai has a university, but I'm sure it has broad band internet. I would also expect Chiang Rai has less expensive accommodation considering it doesn't offer much else. But, that isn't always the case in many rural districts of Thailand..

I got that....but according to some posts here, it seems there are 3 places:

1) Chiang Mai

2) Chiang Rai

and 3) CHANG RAI unless the map I posted was wrong and that's nothing else that number 2.

I won't be surprised since people can't even be sure on how to spell the capital. rolleyes.gif

I don't get it.

Seems the OP has no clue.

The OP should travel a few months South to North, I traveled over here for 10 years before deciding and still moved 1100kms North 4 years on.

Yes the OP has no clue, that's why I came to this forum in order to get a clue. I don't have 10 years to make a decision.

5km from Chiang Mai

That sounds very good, I'll start my research from there then. Got a website for the internet service provider? Actually...if they don't speak any English in rural areas, how will I ever do anything? ohmy.gif

Thank you

For 3BB you walk into one of their many shops and point at what you want (although many shops in CM have good English)

Point to your house on the map of 'google earth' they show you. CM is Thailand 2nd biggest city, not rural until 2km out.

The Capitol is spell

กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์

or

กรุงเทพ

for short

The Capitol is spell

กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์

or

กรุงเทพ

for short

blink.gif Greek to me.

Chiang Rai has virtually no night life.

Don't know where to look?

Chiang Mai has enough but not in comparison to Bangkok or Pattaya.

How much is enough?

Chiang Mai has access to the university. I don't believe Chiang Rai has a university.

Mae Fah Luang University

I always though professional writers had fact checkers.

-----------------

Chiang Rai has a Central Department Store, Big C, two of the better golf courses in Thailand, a significant expat community, any number of expat bars. I remember a "fishbowl" or two (have they disappeared?) ..

.. several high-end hotels and resorts, an airport with connections to BKK & CNX, outstanding Northern bbq, a fair share of traffic jams ..

FWIW, the "C" in CR & CM can be transliterated as Chiang or Chieng .. or possibly Chang ..

-- and when I Yahooed rather than Googled, Chiang Rai is offered as an alternative to Chang Rai. If you listen to the locals, you may hear something sounding more like "Chiang Hai".

Take a look at Chanthaburi, seems too have all you are looking for.

Ubon, If I was to settle down it would be here.

Hello, thanks for your advice, however I read travel warnings about areas close to the borders, both in the North near Cambodia and Laos and in the South near Malaysia so I thought to play safe near Phuket would be my best bet.

I used to live in Sukhothai province. Regular supermarket if you want one nearby, internet was ok if you get it from CAT. Nice people, small town feel for the most part. Downside: very HOT in the summer. As in 41, 42 degrees and humid on some days.

i live in cm. near my home there are brand new 2br bungalows for 6k a month fully furnished with ac.

regarding internet i reccommend load balancing router they go for about 4k thb. then have to independent isps i got 3bb ais3g and tot which i will no cancel as 2 is enough.

i got big c supermarket 3 km away but living next to ricefields and looking neighbours cows and buffalows.

... That sounds very good, I'll start my research from there then. Got a website for the internet service provider? Actually...if they don't speak any English in rural areas, how will I ever do anything? ohmy.gif

Thank you

In general, I dislike when people answer questions about how/where to do something, with another question, like, "Why do you want to [do that/live there]?", but...

...maybe you should ask yourself those same questions. You DON'T seem very interested in Thailand, or very resourceful about finding things as simple as an internet service provider's website, even though the provider was named in answer to your question.

But asking how you will get by not speaking Thai has got to be the most telling question in all of your posts.

Not everyone who comes here learns Thai, but only the truly naive expect to live outside of Bangkok without at least some language skill. An exception, of course, would be if you already had a Thai girlfriend or wife, but alone?

If Thailand holds no other fascination for you than a (hopefully) peaceful and quiet location from which to surf the internet (for cheap), then you might want to look for other parts of the planet. Thailand is really no bargain anymore, and it's not as easy to stay here as it once was. The ONLY edge you can have is to be good at navigating the multiple issues you will face here, and basic Thai competence is a prerequisite.

I know some will disagree, but the real question, to me, is "Why do you want to live here?"

Sorry, I forgot to mention Internet. Some places do have land lines, but now new ones are virtually impossible to get here, So, I use C.A.T. C.D.M.A. it needs a capital investment of about B 8,000 to buy the dongle + a monthly fee of B 850, unlimited. If you move to on area that is more than 15 kilometres from an internet enabled mobile phone tower ,which would be quite difficult, then you can use satellite , I.P.Star. Costs about B5,500 to install + B 1,600 per month , again unlimited. The speed , generally is acceptable, and it is quite reliable.

you got took, dongles go for 1500-2000 baht.

Edited by KRS1

5km from Chiang Mai

Olaf: please contact me privately...I too have rented in CM, and I'd like to discuss your own experiences if you don't mind.

Sorry, I forgot to mention Internet. Some places do have land lines, but now new ones are virtually impossible to get here, So, I use C.A.T. C.D.M.A. it needs a capital investment of about B 8,000 to buy the dongle + a monthly fee of B 850, unlimited. If you move to on area that is more than 15 kilometres from an internet enabled mobile phone tower ,which would be quite difficult, then you can use satellite , I.P.Star. Costs about B5,500 to install + B 1,600 per month , again unlimited. The speed , generally is acceptable, and it is quite reliable.

you got took, dongles go for 1500-2000 baht.

They do now, without the large ariel if you don't need it, afarng bought his quite a long time ago, when it was new to the area and the prices were much higher then.

Suphanburi for me. Ive tried them all,its a personal thing really.I was happy in Ubon Rat,but cant stand where aferang lives,neither can i say why i don't..Chaing Mai was excellent,but you had to fly to Bkk or drive, the Trains a Farce..Nice enough if you have no time worries. Hat Yai was full of rats years ago,but O.K.. Supans very clean, you can nip to Bkk,and Fun City, Ubon Rat was my first home in the Nam era, it gets a bit Hot though. Not easy to chose.Rent First and move around. Don't go near the Family Area, if you have a New Lady here.:o

Not everyone who comes here learns Thai, but only the truly naive expect to live outside of Bangkok without at least some language skill. An exception, of course, would be if you already had a Thai girlfriend or wife, but alone?

I not agree!

Most western people I know in CM speak no Thai at all.

They get on fine. No need to learn Thai. Very limited use (many Thai refuse to understand when you speak Thai)

I not agree!

Most western people I know in CM speak no Thai at all.

They get on fine. No need to learn Thai. Very limited use (many Thai refuse to understand when you speak Thai)

Thats a Dialect problem,often my Wife cant understand some C.M. Folk.She can tell you where they come from though.

We have talked about hospitals and supermarkets and broadband connections, but what about bookstores? Chiang Mai has many, big ones, apparently with just one owner.

By all means have a browse in there, but be aware that the prices asked are much higher than in (for sure) Canada and probably UK.

Example: a few months ago, I noticed a book that I wanted, but which was so totally obscure you could probably bet your last baht on no one coming through CM in the next ten years who would want that book. Yet this used bookstore was asking the outrageous sum of 600 baht for a book one could buy new at about 300 baht on Amazon. (which I did, later)

Yet, despite the low probability of any farang wanting that book in the next ten years (well, at least six months have gone by and it is still there on the shelf), the owner would not bargain with me, not even 10 baht. Amazing.

And don't get me started on the rudeness of the assistants at these stores....

Buyer beware....

Well, it's certainly not Pattaya. :rolleyes: The temptation to go out drinking here and waste money is way too strong. I typically spend 15k a month on booze so it is a serious waste.

I've found the most affordable area in Thailand is Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. The beer bars and gogos are not in my face 24/7.

• 2 weeks later...

The OP needs to stick close to tourist areas unless he is going to acquire some Thai pretty dam_n quick. The likes of Ubon and Khon Khaen would be great choices if you are prepared to accommodate Thai culture (and the Central Plains/Phuket dweller assumptions about healthcare in this thread are <deleted> ridiculous) but boy would you be a fish out of water as a single newbie unless you have a special talent for immersing yourself quickly in a completely different environment.

Knowing Ubon well, but living outside, I've seen experienced expats with Thai partners love it to death (literally) and most singles leave it quickly.

Try Pattaya if you like the beach. Try Chiang Mai if not. Nong Khai if you want somewhere a bit quieter.

Best of luck. You picked the right country :rolleyes:

,It does mention Phuket. Suffice to say ,I have never been there and have no intention of living or visiting that artificial environment,

Thank you for doing us all a favour by keeping away.

My supreme pleasure. Have absolutely no desire to be exposed to yobbos and bogans

Surayu, why do you find this is so amusing? The guy is only asking the question where is the cheapest location in the kingdom for what he requires...Its not like he said he wanted it all for 3000 baht!!!!

Anyway, OP, i can tell you it is possible to get all the above for around 5000 baht a month in Bangkok, however that will be scraping it.

I have heard comments that you can get the same in Chang mai for even cheaper, but i cannot verify this and i dont know about which areas would be near huge supermarkets in CM

To answer your question maybe you could offer the punters a ballpark figure of what you want to spend per month??

You might get a few wisecrack replies though, so expect the odd comment along the lines of ...."just what Thailand needs, ANOTHER kee-nok tourist"

and of course the odd punter will call you a cheap charlie...but im sure it will be the makings of a great thread :cheesy:

hi,i am living in australia now and are looking to move to thailand as well and i read your posts with interest, i will have 60,000 a month so your posts are positive signs for me , but i am not sure where to settle , my girlfriend is from Nonudom. Nongbualamphu, i have not been there yet but she has no toilet or shower or cooking facilities and it is only 1 bedroom so i think it would be better to rent rather than fix her place up to a standard that i could be happy, can you offer me any advice now and in the future, i have looked for rentals and i must be looking in the wrong places for the prices some imformed members mentioned

Surayu, why do you find this is so amusing? The guy is only asking the question where is the cheapest location in the kingdom for what he requires...Its not like he said he wanted it all for 3000 baht!!!!

Anyway, OP, i can tell you it is possible to get all the above for around 5000 baht a month in Bangkok, however that will be scraping it.

I have heard comments that you can get the same in Chang mai for even cheaper, but i cannot verify this and i dont know about which areas would be near huge supermarkets in CM

To answer your question maybe you could offer the punters a ballpark figure of what you want to spend per month??

You might get a few wisecrack replies though, so expect the odd comment along the lines of ...."just what Thailand needs, ANOTHER kee-nok tourist"

and of course the odd punter will call you a cheap charlie...but im sure it will be the makings of a great thread :cheesy:

hi,i am living in australia now and are looking to move to thailand as well and i read your posts with interest, i will have 60,000 a month so your posts are positive signs for me , but i am not sure where to settle , my girlfriend is from Nonudom. Nongbualamphu, i have not been there yet but she has no toilet or shower or cooking facilities and it is only 1 bedroom so i think it would be better to rent rather than fix her place up to a standard that i could be happy, can you offer me any advice now and in the future, i have looked for rentals and i must be looking in the wrong places for the prices some imformed members mentioned

I think you slightly misunderstand. She may have no Western style facilities. Looking to rent requires feet on the ground .There are heaps of places to rent .all over Thailand. Mine is B2,500 per month, in a very pleasant town. 2 storey, 3 bedroom house,in Isarn, near the Cambodian border. Very safe. Best way to find a place is simply to ask both Thais(your G/F does the asking) and farang. Any specific questions .please feel free to ask. Good Luck, Bill I, too am an Ozzie, from Melb..Have been in T/Land 21 years

Edited by afarang

Most rental place advertised by sign on house gate.

To look you must be here.

Anyone advertise on internet charge 2x, 3x, 4x person advertise on gate.

Advice

1) Never live in house rented/owned by girlfriend (she fight with you, you homeless).

2) Rent in your name only (she fight with you, she homeless).

3) Never rent without looking inside (don't rent from Australia).

4) Security deposit never more than 2 month rent (hopefully 1 month rent)

5) Live as far from girlfriend family as possible (at least 6 hour coach journey good)

6) Live near big town with good internet/school/hospital and other resource (not in mud hut in Nakon Nowhere)

7) Always have own transport (no bus pass house, need buy/rent motorcycle/car in your name)

Edited by OlafStapleton

Most rental place advertised by sign on house gate.

To look you must be here.

Anyone advertise on internet charge 2x, 3x, 4x person advertise on gate.

Advice

1) Never live in house rented/owned by girlfriend (she fight with you, you homeless).

2) Rent in your name only (she fight with you, she homeless).

3) Never rent without looking inside (don't rent from Australia).

4) Security deposit never more than 2 month rent (hopefully 1 month rent)

5) Live as far from girlfriend family as possible (at least 6 hour coach journey good)

6) Live near big town with good internet/school/hospital and other resource (not in mud hut in Nakon Nowhere)

7) Always have own transport (no bus pass house, need buy/rent motorcycle/car in your name)

Very sound advice, I concur.

<br />
<br />Not everyone who comes here learns Thai, but only the truly naive expect to live outside of Bangkok without at least some language skill.  An exception, of course, would be if you already had a Thai girlfriend or wife, but alone?<br />
<br /><br />I not agree!<br />Most western people I know in CM speak no Thai at all.<br />They get on fine. No need to learn Thai. Very limited use (many Thai refuse to understand when you speak Thai)<br />

It's true that you can live in Chiang Mai just fine while not speaking Thai. It's less convenient, and you miss the opportunity of communicating with a lot of people, but it works.

Most Thais will try to understand foreigners who speak Thai, but if your accent is strong and you mangle the sentence construction, there is no chance they can guess what you mean, and most foreigners who have not studied Thai formally or immersed themselves in the language by going to live in a village for a long time, tend to have very poor pronunciation of Thai, and no concept of tone or vowel length, two completely crucial elements of Thai.

The very first thing one says to a Thai person is important. Most of them will try to interpret what you say as English automatically, and will be nervous, because they are not confident in their own ability to understand English. Hence, it's a good idea to learn a 'tuning phrase' in Thai that you can speak clearly, then the rest of the conversation is likely to go a lot smoother. Thai spoken properly is understood by everyone, but Thais used to dealing with farang in English, such as the downtown bars and pubs catering to farang, may persist in trying to speak English, and in some cases it makes sense to just do that, because their English may be better than your Thai.

you know what, you should go live somewhere in the outskirts of bkk, like minburi or nonthaburi. its nice, safe and quiet, but you can go to the city for a weekend off, you are near medical facilities should anything happen, and you can get more or less decent internet. i actually live in bkk, and i live on a budget of 16k per month and i'm pretty much happy. i have a nice room, aircon, close to supermarkets and everything, and fast internet.

in my opinion, living in chiang mai is actually gonna be a distraction, there's so much stuff going on there and it's always in your face because it's so small.... i grew up there so i know...

Edited by mysterybkk