Portable Short Wave Radios

micky

Please kindly let me know where can I buy

a Portable Grundig or Sangean Short Wave radio.

I couln't find them in MBK, Siam Paragon or Pantip Plaza

or even in Sony Centers.

Please kindly advise. Thanking you all in advance.

Not wishing to hijack the thread but are airband scanners permitted here? And if so where can they be purchased?

As a matter if interest to me what would you use a short wave radio for these days the reason i am asking a have a 10year old Sony that i bought to listen when i used to work offshore so i could get the news football scores etc i was going to sell it as i hav'nt used it for years not much good to you i'm afraid as i am in the UK right now and wont be back in Thailand until the Dec so i just wondered what you would do with short wave now .

Not wishing to hijack the thread but are airband scanners permitted here? And if so where can they be purchased?

As a matter if interest to me what would you use a short wave radio for these days the reason i am asking a have a 10year old Sony that i bought to listen when i used to work offshore so i could get the news football scores etc i was going to sell it as i hav'nt used it for years not much good to you i'm afraid as i am in the UK right now and wont be back in Thailand until the Dec so i just wondered what you would do with short wave now .

I would like to tune on to BBC and VOA and the rest of the world.

All the TV channels and FM stations here are in Thai

Nearly all radio stations are available online these days, assuming that you have a broadband connection.

I just use my domestic wifi and my mobile phone in loudspeaker mode to listen to UK radio.

I would like to tune on to BBC and VOA and the rest of the world.

All the TV channels and FM stations here are in Thai

I read an article recently saying that VOA stopped broadcasting on shortwaves, concentrating instead on Internet broadcasts. Would that not be an option for you? It also has a much better sound quality! I remember the wheeze and squeeze of shortwave transmissions, unbearable!

In pre-internet days I used to travel around SE Asia with a Sony digital shortwave and it was useful. Now however I would seriously doubt just how useful it would be to me. Still the BBC broadcasts worldwide even today and is easily obtainable in Thailand.I've certainly seen Sony ICF digitals available in Bangkok.

I wanted a good radio too, but found nothing in Thailand also.

So on a trip back to the UK a couple of years ago i picked up one of these..

G3.jpg

the Eton G3 'Globe Traveller' - Its also sold under the Grundig name in the USA.

its an AM/FM/LW Shortwave Radio with Aircraft Band, SSB, RDS and Synchronous Detector.

awesome radio.. still lots of stations worldwide on the SW band to listen to. Receives all the Amateur Radio bands too..

I bought a Sangean when I left the Merchant Navy to keep up with what was happening. It become pointless at the turn of the century when all the HF morse stations worldwide were shut down and replaced by satellite comms :huh:

I bought a Sangean when I left the Merchant Navy to keep up with what was happening. It become pointless at the turn of the century when all the HF morse stations worldwide were shut down and replaced by satellite comms :huh:

Interesting stuff...as with HF radios a good ground is mandatory ... I thought it would be the same with all SW radios?

When I was a kid I built SW radios ( tubes ( valves).. remember them??) and always needed a good ground to work well. That said my late dad had a great little Sony multi-band which worked well even though no ground ...but seem to remember it did have a socket for one??

...about four years ago I bought a local market multi band radio for about 400 baht and it was excellent for getting voice of America and BBC world depending on the time of day ...lucky I guess...now I just go on line like anyone else lol

As others have said, it's rather difficult to buy a decent, portable short wave radio in Thailand - those on sale tend to be of inferior, cheap quality.

Whilst in Lao PDR last year, I purchased a Sony radio off Ebay - got it delivered direct to my hotel in Vientiane in about 1 week. I keep it in my car now and use it to listen to both international and domestic broadcast stations, as well as amateur radio stations)

Simon

HS0ZIB